Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I think taking Samsung to court could prove to be the worst bit of business Apple ever did. Add that to the passing of Jobs and this could be the beginning of a long, slow decline....
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Love how biased this is "Samsung has sold its 100 millionth Galaxy S device"

Just how many iPhone's have Apple sold or is that an unfair comparison? (direct competition comparison)

Apple do this every year.. it's to tie up parts companies then they readjust. Every year.

I do agree that the iPhone 5 sales are slowing. I wouldn't be surprised there will be an early release to fend off the S4. My next Phone will most likely be not an iPhone if the current innovation trend continues (spec upgrades only)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next Apple results are out in a couple of weeks I believe. The ipad mini is likely to have taken sales from its big brother (though better that than letting Samsung or Google take their sales).

They rely on iphone sales for nearly 60% of their revenue so any drop in expected performance is likely to hit investors pretty hard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love how biased this is "Samsung has sold its 100 millionth Galaxy S device"

Just how many iPhone's have Apple sold or is that an unfair comparison? (direct competition comparison)

They did compare them.
    Sales of Samsung’s Galaxy S series have reached 100 million in under three years — faster than Apple’s iPhone, which took nearly four years
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May also be seasonal as iPhones sell well from launch till Christmas then slow down. While there is increased competition this could have impacted on the sales. There is also a feeling of disappointment from some Apple fans about the iPhone 5. Its more of the same with a slightly longer screen. Its hardly pushing the boat out!

This may push Apple to launch more legal attacks on Samsung or other Android manufactures. If you cant win fairly might as well play dirty :mad:
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    49million iphone 5 were sold in the final quarter on 2012

The comparison to the S series is a little unfair. For example the S3 can be brought on contract for £15 a month an the phone is free.

Even the iphone 4 isn't available for free for less than £30 a month. The S series is heavily subsidised with cash back also available fromSamsung.

This is a model Apple will have to copy in the future as the iphone is no longer far ahead of the competition an in some areas it's lagging behind. Apples constant refusal to discount it's products when the competition is bassically paying consumers to take them is going to start costing Apple big.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    iPhone 5 49mil v's S3 40mil http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2235975/samsung-galaxy-s3-reaches-40-million-sales-worldwide

Samsung S3 launched 29 May 2012 WORLDWIDE v's Apple iPhone launched September 21 2012 (limited countries)

It's nearest competitor and the only S phone that can be compared to it.

Apple hasn't even started to tap the Asian market that much yet..

I would say in most areas at this current time the iPhone 5 is slightly behind in tech... hard thing to actually talk about though as iOS needs less to run just as fast.

On a separate note... Bloody samsung or Apple need to bring Xenon flash to the next model. I'd buy it just on that!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Next Apple results are out in a couple of weeks I believe. The ipad mini is likely to have taken sales from its big brother (though better that than letting Samsung or Google take their sales).

They rely on iphone sales for nearly 60% of their revenue so any drop in expected performance is likely to hit investors pretty hard.

According to one of Apple's head honchos the iPad mini gross margin is 'significantly below' the rest of the products Apple is cranking out so they had better be taking sales from other makes as opposed to their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung S3 launched 29 May 2012 WORLDWIDE v's Apple iPhone launched September 21 2012 (limited countries)

Hang on a minute.. Iphone 5 launch was the most countries Apple had ever launched in (so they say - over 100 by the end of the year). Galaxy S3 wasn't available in the US for several months after it's 'launch'.

And the 49 million figure is just a guess...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    49million iphone 5 were sold in the final quarter on 2012

The comparison to the S series is a little unfair. For example the S3 can be brought on contract for £15 a month an the phone is free.

Even the iphone 4 isn't available for free for less than £30 a month. The S series is heavily subsidised with cash back also available fromSamsung.

This is a model Apple will have to copy in the future as the iphone is no longer far ahead of the competition an in some areas it's lagging behind. Apples constant refusal to discount it's products when the competition is bassically paying consumers to take them is going to start costing Apple big.
    Where?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sure enough, early trading has not reacted well to the news
    http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/14/aapl-stock-dips-below-500-for-the-fist-time-in-almost-a-year-after-wsj-says-iphone-component-orders-halved/
    now the stock has dipped below $500 during trading hours for the first time since February 2012
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't even afford to buy one apple share lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't even afford to buy one apple share lol

Its ok, you can get android ones that are just as good for much cheaper ;)
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying it took Apple longer to sell 100 million is a bit unfair as the iPhone was available in far less countries for the first few years and smartphones were only just taking off. They were also exclusive to very few carriers and were seen to be much more premium than smartphones are today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Where?

Orange had an offer where you got a S3 for free on a £20.50 price plan an they gave you a £5 a month discount for the length of the contract. So you got a free S3 for £15.50 a month.

Samsung were bassically giving orange the S3 it was so heavily discounted.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Where?

Nowhere....the S3 was not available anywhere for under £35 unless it was a super long contract or with credit.

The iPhone has been dropping in sales and marketshare for a while now, the iPhone 5 launch wasn't as successful as people were expecting and single Android devices are starting to outsell the iPhone. Eventually the mobile space will become the same as the PC space with Android having major dominance with Apple and the rest fighting for the scraps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Nowhere....the S3 was not available anywhere for under £35 unless it was a super long contract or with credit.

The iPhone has been dropping in sales and marketshare for a while now, the iPhone 5 launch wasn't as successful as people were expecting and single Android devices are starting to outsell the iPhone. Eventually the mobile space will become the same as the PC space with Android having major dominance with Apple and the rest fighting for the scraps.

Wrong, it was free at Tesco phone shop for £25 also. I know as that where I got mine. Right now there are loads of deals for a free S3 under £30.

The galaxy note 2 is free under £30 also Samsungs method is working though. They even offered me a free galaxy tab 2 if I traded my iPhone for a S3.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

What android device has outsold the iPhone? Or are you talking about on a specific day:rolleyes:
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking ahead what can Apple do to increase share price?

1. Stop selling low value iPods
    2. Increase price of iPhones (Networks will pay anyway)
    3. Keep suing Android manufacturers kill the competition by litigation (Steve Jobs unfinished Holy War)
    4. Innovate instead of Stagnate
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    What android device has outsold the iPhone? Or are you talking about on a specific day:rolleyes:

The S3 outsold them at one point last year.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-5-to-become-world-s-leading-smartphone

The S3 has also outsold the iphone 5 in the UK.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-5-to-remain-uk-s-most-popular-smartphone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking ahead what can Apple do to increase share price?

1. Stop selling low value iPods
    2. Increase price of iPhones (Networks will pay anyway)
    3. Keep suing Android manufacturers kill the competition by litigation (Steve Jobs unfinished Holy War)
    4. Innovate instead of Stagnate

Share price is not really important to the running of a business. Only to shareholders.

I don't think apple will need to raise Money any time soon.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »

Apple shares have been on a steady decline for a few months now. In mid-Sep 2012 they were around the $700 mark. Today they are (currently) $503.67. That is quite a worrying drop over a short period of time. Thats a fall of around 28%. In anyone book that is quite a fall. I was reading an article about this a while back, stating a lot of hedge fund managers were either reducing the amount of stock they hold, and were looking elsewhere. In the past it was a favourite of hedge fund managers, now thats not the case.

Other analysts say the ipad mini is to blame, not something I subscribe to. Whether its true or not, if that is the perception out there, then the introduction of a cheaper iphone would only drop the price of shares further. I really think it wont be long before the share price falls to $400, maybe 4-6 months. Apple need to pull something out of the bag with the iphone 6 (although I think its more likely to be an iphone5s, which wont cut it). They need to introduce that killer new feature, that they havent done for quite sometime. It needs to be a really big game changer - sadly, I dont think they are capable of doing this. I think one option opened to them, is to drop the price. Not what you would expect from apple, but something that would seriously have to be considered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The S3 outsold them at one point last year.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-outsells-iphone-5-to-become-world-s-leading-smartphone

The S3 has also outsold the iphone 5 in the UK.

That's good. It is important when statements are made they are qualified.

How do you know it has outsold it in the uk? Ignore that, didn't see your second link.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    That's good. It is important when statements are made they are qualified.

How do you know it has outsold it in the uk?

Sorry, pressed submit before i added the link!

Its added now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's aApples fault it's being out sold, a free S3 is under £30. A free iPhone 5 is around £45 a month.

Sell the iPhone 5 free on £25 a month contract with £180 cash back they wouldn't be able to make enough. That's samsungs model, pay the consumer to take your devices.

Apple are going to have to forget super high $1 billion a month profits. Samsung have 1.5billion debt, apple have a $100 billion cash mountain and zero debt.