Did Moffat mess up the Who schedule?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember back in 2011 Moffat was complaining about Doctor Who clashing with his bbq's and wanting it on in the Autumn and then series 6 was split and after that the schedule became a complete mess.

It's as if he tried to get the show moved to the Autumn but it backfired due to the saturday night slot being full with Strictly, Merlin and Casualty.

I know people say that he wasn't the one that caused the series split but at the same time it's very strange that he wanted it on in the Autumn and then out of no where there is a series split.

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Who knows. Moffat must be held partly accountable for the gigantic cock-up with the production. One series spread over two years because Moffat couldn't/wouldn't write any more? The paltry and pathetic 'celebrations' for the 50th anniversary year? The massive hiatus, yet again, between the Christmas special and the start of series 9? It's all a bit of a joke, tbh.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not saying Moffat is completely innocent of being partly responsible for some of the problems encountered in the last couple of years...he might well be. But its very unlikely it is his fault alone. And as none of us know anything about what's gone on i don't see what conclusion this thread is going to reach?! It can and will be nothing but conjecture. The only purpose it might have is for the usual suspects to play a guessing game and attack Moffat despite not having a clue what's gone on.
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Who knows. Moffat must be held partly accountable for the gigantic cock-up with the production. One series spread over two years because Moffat couldn't/wouldn't write any more? The paltry and pathetic 'celebrations' for the 50th anniversary year? The massive hiatus, yet again, between the Christmas special and the start of series 9? It's all a bit of a joke, tbh.

Series Nine? Skipped a series somewhere?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    mccollough wrote: »
    Series Nine? Skipped a series somewhere?

We had series 7 last year, ending with the Ponds' departure and series 8 this year, starting with The Bells of St John. It's not difficult. They are quite clearly two distinct series. The fact that the BBC calls them both series 7 means **** all as far as I'm concerned. It's just PR to try and convince people they weren't being short-changed.

We've had a half-series for the last two years. Whoopee-do.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tennant was the Doctor for four years, from 2006–2009. Smith will have been the Doctor for four years, from 2010–2013.

We got 47 episodes with Tennant in. Three sets of 14 episodes plus five episodes of specials.

When Smith goes he will have appeared in 43 episodes. Per BBC labelling, three sets of 14 episodes plus two specials.

So we've lost a total of 4 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member

You think Moffat has any say over when the show airs? REALLY?

It is all the BBC
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I am not saying Moffat is completely innocent of being partly responsible for some of the problems encountered in the last couple of years...he might well be. But its very unlikely it is his fault alone. And as none of us know anything about what's gone on i don't see what conclusion this thread is going to reach?! It can and will be nothing but conjecture. The only purpose it might have is for the usual suspects to play a guessing game and attack Moffat despite not having a clue what's gone on.

Quite right.. Who knows? I do think that Autumn suits the show better, so hopefully that will start to pan out in future.. If it doesn't, no biggie. As long as the show still continues with its quality/quirkiness/diversity I've enjoyed for decades I'm happy..
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    We had series 7 last year, ending with the Ponds' departure and series 8 this year, starting with The Bells of St John. It's not difficult. They are quite clearly two distinct series. The fact that the BBC calls them both series 7 means **** all as far as I'm concerned. It's just PR to try and convince people they weren't being short-changed.

Quoted for truth. Whoever is responsible. Be it Moffat, the BBC or Mr Katmando it doesn't matter. The fact is, all we have had is last years left overs and then a long wait till the 50th. Another long wait until the Christmas Special. Then a ridiculous, stupid long wait until Autumn. All that is going to do is damage Doctor Who. There's no getting away from it. Many casual viewers and children won't even bother when it does eventually return. Then all we get is Moffat saying it's 'creative'. Yeah right. Nice try, but no cigar.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think there are two issues:
    • the inconsistent production schedule
    • the honesty of BBC/Moffat's statements on the production of Who

I have no idea whether Moffat is personally responsible for the reduction in episodes/gaps in production/split seasons. But I do believe Private Eye's version of events; that the current team had lost control by the time season 6 was airing, and the production of the show ended up in 'chaos'.

I also believe the BBC hierarchy were genuinely shocked when they were told of the massive reduction in episodes for 2012 and 2013 (rather than being responsible for making the decision to reduce production).

The second issue is about the honesty and clarity of statements from the BBC and Moffat.

In 2008, RTD and his team made a very specific and clear statement about what would happen with Who over the coming two years; there would be four specials in 2009 and that Who would return for a full season from March 2010. And that's what's happened.

The statements since about the split in the season in 2011, and also about the complete mess that happened in 2012 and 2013 were incredibly misleading.

When Private Eye ran its story in June 2011, revealing the show was in "production chaos" it stated that all Moffat and co would churn out in 2012 was a year of specials (like in 2009).

The BBC and Moffat quickly denied it (on Twitter) saying they had commissioned 14 new episodes and that Matt Smith was back for all of them. What a shame they didn't explain those 14 episodes would be split across 2012 and 2013!

Minute for minute, Private Eye was much closer to the truth (in terms of the amount of Who being produced) than the BBC/Moffat statements would have us believe.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone has screwed up the Doctor Who schedule, but whether it was Moffat or not, I don't know.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat took responsibility for 2011 as far as I know - he wanted a split.

But not 2012.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Moffat took responsibility for 2011 as far as I know - he wanted a split.

But not 2012.

Indeed. The 2012/2013 split was entirely the BBC's fault from what I've read. Not Moffat's.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Indeed. The 2012/2013 split was entirely the BBC's fault from what I've read. Not Moffat's.

Well it depends on who was the driving force behind wanting Smith to be around for the 50th Anniversary, despite him not being willing to do a fourth series.
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past few years we have had loads of episodes of Doctor who. Just be greatful that Doctor Who is still on are screens. The BBC do have other dramas to show other then Doctor who so it can't take over television :)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Tennant was the Doctor for four years, from 2006–2009. Smith will have been the Doctor for four years, from 2010–2013.

We got 47 episodes with Tennant in. Three sets of 14 episodes plus five episodes of specials.

When Smith goes he will have appeared in 43 episodes. Per BBC labelling, three sets of 14 episodes plus two specials.

So we've lost a total of 4 episodes.

I look at it more like this...

2005-2009 (and New Year's Day 2010) = 60 episodes from RTD in 5 years
    vs
    2010-Summer 2013 = 42 episodes
    50th Anniversary + Xmas 2013 specials = 2 episodes
    Series 8 (2014) = 12 episodes
    Total = 56 episodes from Moff by late 2014

So yeah, we've lost 4 episodes, but then there's Xmas 2014 to factor in (Moffat bowing out on a 2-parter maybe?) and you never know, they could be hiding a little extra anniversary something really well (seeming less and less likely but one can but dream).

How would people like their average 12 episodes a year spaced out?
    What do you want .... one a month?
    Forum Member
    In the past few years we have had loads of episodes of Doctor who.

Have we? Where was that then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    In the past few years we have had loads of episodes of Doctor who. Just be greatful that Doctor Who is still on are screens. The BBC do have other dramas to show other then Doctor who so it can't take over television :)

Wanting to see a full 13 episode run is hardly allowing it to take over television is it?

Holby and Eastenders are on constantly and Casualty gets a run of around 45 to 50 weeks.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at BBC scheduling decisions of late then you see a pattern, a pattern of weirdness and stupidity.

So I would suggest that Moffat is innocent of messing around with the production/scheduling.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Wanting to see a full 13 episode run is hardly allowing it to take over television is it?

Holby and Eastenders are on constantly and Casualty gets a run of around 45 to 50 weeks.

And doesn't it just show in the quality of all of those other programmes? I'm sure they appeal to lots of other people but certainly not me. I watched the £1million pound stunt on EastEnders yesterday and it was frankly laughable.

I love Doctor Who, it's one of the few British TV programmes that I watch and I would certainly like it be on more than 6-8 weeks a year but I would hate it become like any of those other bland dramas by being shown too frequently.
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I love Doctor Who, it's one of the few British TV programmes that I watch and I would certainly like it be on more than 6-8 weeks a year but I would hate it become like any of those other bland dramas by being shown too frequently.

14 episodes a year can't come under any reasonable definition of "too frequently".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think there are two issues:
    • the inconsistent production schedule
    • the honesty of BBC/Moffat's statements on the production of Who

I have no idea whether Moffat is personally responsible for the reduction in episodes/gaps in production/split seasons. But I do believe Private Eye's version of events; that the current team had lost control by the time season 6 was airing, and the production of the show ended up in 'chaos'.

I also believe the BBC hierarchy were genuinely shocked when they were told of the massive reduction in episodes for 2012 and 2013 (rather than being responsible for making the decision to reduce production).

The second issue is about the honesty and clarity of statements from the BBC and Moffat.

In 2008, RTD and his team made a very specific and clear statement about what would happen with Who over the coming two years; there would be four specials in 2009 and that Who would return for a full season from March 2010. And that's what's happened.

The statements since about the split in the season in 2011, and also about the complete mess that happened in 2012 and 2013 were incredibly misleading.

When Private Eye ran its story in June 2011, revealing the show was in "production chaos" it stated that all Moffat and co would churn out in 2012 was a year of specials (like in 2009).

The BBC and Moffat quickly denied it (on Twitter) saying they had commissioned 14 new episodes and that Matt Smith was back for all of them. What a shame they didn't explain those 14 episodes would be split across 2012 and 2013!

Minute for minute, Private Eye was much closer to the truth (in terms of the amount of Who being produced) than the BBC/Moffat statements would have us believe.

^ This, definitely this.

For me, it's not so upsetting that they weren't able to do a full series, so much as the fact they lied about it for so long, and dragged through the dirt anyone who dared actually report what it turned out was far closer to the truth.

RTD had enough respect for the fans to be upfront with us about 2009. The current team do not.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    ^ This, definitely this.

For me, it's not so upsetting that they weren't able to do a full series, so much as the fact they lied about it for so long, and dragged through the dirt anyone who dared actually report what it turned out was far closer to the truth.

RTD had enough respect for the fans to be upfront with us about 2009. The current team do not.

Given that the current reason seems to be that Matt wanted to go off and do other things rather than commit to a fourth series I think it's understandable that the production team / BBC have not been very upfront about things. They would hardly want people to know that Matt was going to leave two years ago. It's got nothing to do with respect, or lack of, but more about wanting to keep some things as a surprise for viewers.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Given that the current reason seems to be that Matt wanted to go off and do other things rather than commit to a fourth series I think it's understandable that the production team / BBC have not been very upfront about things. They would hardly want people to know that Matt was going to leave two years ago. It's got nothing to do with respect, or lack of, but more about wanting to keep some things as a surprise for viewers.

Personally, I don't blame Matt Smith at all. I think his decision to go off and do other things was driven by the fact that he effectively had a year off that he wasn't expecting.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, it's certainly a surprise to me that in the 50th anniversary year we've had half a series and have 2 specials to look forward to.

Not a nice surprise, unfortunately, given the promises made. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Well, it's certainly a surprise to me that in the 50th anniversary year we've had half a series and have 2 specials to look forward to.

Not a nice surprise, unfortunately, given the promises made. :(

I couldn't agree more. Hardly a Golden Anniversary is it?