Decent 32" TV with headphone socket?

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think there are a few out these days with this facility (my current one does'nt :mad:) However, I don't seem able to compare them on their performance. Needs to be able to automatically switch off the TV's speaker and have good output - ie loud!

Any advice please? Thanks.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    I think there are a few out these days with this facility (my current one does'nt :mad:) However, I don't seem able to compare them on their performance. Needs to be able to automatically switch off the TV's speaker and have good output - ie loud!

Any advice please? Thanks.

Check the Sony ones, really good sets and you have the option to set the headphone socket to mute or not, and to make it controllable or not.

However- probably none are 'really loud' - there are strict regulations about how loud headphone sockets can be.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nigel for the info.

I wonder if I could pop into a Sony store bringing my headphones with me and plugging it into one of their sets there for a demo try out?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I wonder if I could pop into a Sony store bringing my headphones with me and plugging it into one of their sets there for a demo try out?

I would expect they would be happy for you to do that
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just googled the following: www.kenable.co.uk "TV stereo headphone amplifier with volume control for hard of hearing" retailing at £16.50. Manf model No. PSGO3688. My current TV does not have a headphone socket.

I have never heard of this product so have just emailed them for further info.

Once I've heard from them I'll keep you posted. Stay tuned!

PS I'm sure this could be useful even for people without hearing problems should they not want to disturb others?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    My current TV does not have a headphone socket.

I never knew you could buy one without - they certainly do cut some corners
    Forum Member

We certainly would, and any decent store should be happy to - they 'should' also be able to demonstrate the different options, with speakers muting or not.

It's a facility which has greatly impressed me, it makes the sets very versatile, I've had to modify numerous sets for customers over the years, and this removes that need.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are using hearing aid(s), a hearing loop is comfier than headphones or earphones for watching TV or listening to audio.

Pumping up the volume may damage your hearing.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    This really isn't a problem -- virtually all TVs have line-level audio outputs, and headphone amplifiers (which are of better quality than anything you'll find bolted to a small signals board) are available for £10-20.
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    This really isn't a problem -- virtually all TVs have line-level audio outputs.

Assuming you mean from the single SCART socket fitted?, then yes - but specific audio outputs (using phonos) are long gone.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Assuming you mean from the single SCART socket fitted?, then yes - but specific audio outputs (using phonos) are long gone.

Is that why both of the TVs I've recently bought have them? (Neither of which having a headphone jack).
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Is that why both of the TVs I've recently bought have them? (Neither of which having a headphone jack).

You're doing well then (or buying old models :D) - most don't, they have been replaced by an optical out on most TV's.