The Vampire Diaries season 4 US Pace (spoilers in tags)

JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starts today!

The CW series 4 promo
Season 4 cold open
Alive clip
Fix it clip
ITV2 Trailer

Episode 4.1 'Growing Pains' broadcast 11/10/12 The CW
Episode 4.2 'Memorial' broadcast 18/10/12 The CW
Episode 4.3 'The Rager' broadcast 25/10/12 The CW

(starts Monday 15/10/12 9pm on ITV2 UK pace)

Synopsis for Growing Pains-
ELENA’S WORST NIGHTMARE — Elena (Nina Dobrev) awakens on the morning after the accident to find the thing she dreaded most has come true – she died with vampire blood in her system and now must go through the terrible transition to become a vampire…or face certain death. Stefan (Paul Wesley) promises Elena that he and Bonnie (Kat Graham) will exhaust every possible way out of the situation, but Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is furious with his brother for letting Elena die in the first place. Bonnie pays a terrible price for her attempt to change Elena’s fate, while Damon takes out his frustration and rage on Matt (Zach Roerig). In a rare moment of empathy, Rebekah (guest star Claire Holt) is deeply touched by Stefan and Elena’s devotion to one another. Finally, Pastor Young (guest star Michael Reilly Burke) and the Town Council members begin rounding up the vampires and their supporters, leading to an unexpected tragedy. Steven R. McQueen, Candice Accola, Michael Trevino and Joseph Morgan also star. Chris Grismer directed the episode written by Caroline Dries

I'm very much looking forward to this, one of the most enjoyable US series out there. SANGUIS POTESTAS EST. (Blood is power.)

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait!! I'm so excited.

I know the reason for delaying it to stop the long hiatus' but this break has been so long and I've longed for my TVD fix so much!!!

Anyways I'm glad we're gonna have a long uninterrupted run and yay!!!

IT'S BACK!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Excited :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it, I've missed Ian Somerhalders face
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I am really excited! I'm really interested to see how they will differentiate Elena from Katherine now.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that thundered along, unexpectedly nasty too. A good if not great episode, the end was very what the heck? There was me thinking 'wow the pastor survived'. :eek:

Klaus is a great baddie, though he was on the verge of being illogically so there methinks. Mind you I don't see anything wrong with evil for evils sake. :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As first episodes go that was pretty good, considering how brilliant a show it has been. Plenty of little emotional moments.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I thought that was a strong start to the season - much more so than Season 3's first episode. Some nice Rebekah moments, and I'm not normally a fan of hers.
    Glad she destroyed Klaus' Elena-juice. It's nice he doesn't get his own way all the time.
    Lots of tense moments and fast-paced. Really enjoyed it!
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I actually thought they'd save Elena. Didn't think she'd complete the transformation, and even having done so, I didn't think they'd wrap that up in the first episode.

Will be interesting to see what's going on with Bonnie; there has to be more too her forced decision (and the outcome). Glad Klaus is back in his own body too, though it seemed a bit quick (him dying then coming back); almost made the scenes last season pointless.

Several things I'm looking forward to seeing (if they get around to doing it). Firstly, Katherine. I can only wonder what will happen on her next encounter with Elena, seeing as they're both now immortal and both desire Stefan (good choice by the writers there, Damon is a bit of a dick ~ hardly Matt's fault).

Secondly, Elijah. I'm hoping he'll turn up again at some point. Out of all the originals, I've found him to be the more... moral of them? Rebekah has emotional issues I swear, one minute she's on the good side, then she switches. I can't see Klaus sticking around too much into this season, think he'll come and go.

I also feel slightly sorry for Matt, and Jeremy. They're the only two normal people left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good opening episode, I like the way they had Elena remembering the stuff Damon compelled her to forget
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iShum wrote: »
    good opening episode, I like the way they had Elena remembering the stuff Damon compelled her to forget

me too :D
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed all the Rebekah moments. :)
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I actually thought they'd save Elena. Didn't think she'd complete the transformation, and even having done so, I didn't think they'd wrap that up in the first episode.

Will be interesting to see what's going on with Bonnie; there has to be more too her forced decision (and the outcome). Glad Klaus is back in his own body too, though it seemed a bit quick (him dying then coming back); almost made the scenes last season pointless.

Several things I'm looking forward to seeing (if they get around to doing it). Firstly, Katherine. I can only wonder what will happen on her next encounter with Elena, seeing as they're both now immortal and both desire Stefan (good choice by the writers there, Damon is a bit of a dick ~ hardly Matt's fault).

Secondly, Elijah. I'm hoping he'll turn up again at some point. Out of all the originals, I've found him to be the more... moral of them? Rebekah has emotional issues I swear, one minute she's on the good side, then she switches. I can't see Klaus sticking around too much into this season, think he'll come and go.

I also feel slightly sorry for Matt, and Jeremy. They're the only two normal people left.

Ah, Elijah....my favourite TVD character. :)
    He is due to reappear. First in another flashback, in around episode 4, I believe. Then as current day Elijah sometime after that, from what I can make out through Daniel Gillies' interviews. He said Klaus becomes more maniacal and Elijah is needed to restore some order, and that this season's new Big Bad is a threat to the Originals.
  • JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

Wasn't Katherine killed when she awoke Michael (Klaus' father)? I thought that's what happened as he could feed on vampires too and I don't remember seeing anything of Katherine after that:confused:

Loved the opening to series 4 though :) Glad that Elena became a vampire. It was due to happen eventually and I think in the original books she became a vampire too. Is Tyler definitely dead now that Klaus is back in his original body? How did he get back into his original body?

I also wonder if Rebekah will have a change of heart and help out Elena and the Salvator's a bit more after how Klaus treated her and witnessing Elena's transition to a vampire?

Don't like the look of that priest and the new council.
    Does this mean they will become ghosts a bit like what happened with Mason last series or will they try and attack through Bonnie?
    Forum Member
    Jillstar wrote: »
    Wasn't Katherine killed when she awoke Michael (Klaus' father)? I thought that's what happened as he could feed on vampires too and I don't remember seeing anything of Katherine after that:confused:

Loved the opening to series 4 though :) Glad that Elena became a vampire. It was due to happen eventually and I think in the original books she became a vampire too. Is Tyler definitely dead now that Klaus is back in his original body? How did he get back into his original body?

I also wonder if Rebekah will have a change of heart and help out Elena and the Salvator's a bit more after how Klaus treated her and witnessing Elena's transition to a vampire?

Don't like the look of that priest and the new council.
    Does this mean they will become ghosts a bit like what happened with Mason last series or will they try and attack through Bonnie?

Katherine wasn't killed by Mikael - he just fed on her. After that, she was part of Mikael's plan to kill Klaus and impersonated Elena when Mikael was trying to lure Klaus out of the house to kill him. Mikael stabbed Katherine, making Klaus think he had stabbed Elena. She hasn't been seen since that episode, but there's been no reports of her dying. :)

Good thinking re your spoiler speculation - it's clear the pastor has something more potent in mind by exploding all the council members and himself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was a great episode. I thought it was possibly the weakest season opener we have had. I thought the acting wasn't great, especially with the 'can't stop laughing' scene, it felt almost awkward to watch.

I'm a massive fan but the writers really need to get it together, I am not looking forward to another season of Damon just lusting after Elena, they're starting to ruin the character.

I am also disliking how 'normal' the originals have become. They were introduced as almost God-like and powerful but now...they just seem a little bit above average who are all hopelessly in love; Klaus with Caroline. I need some action rather than another love triangle.
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was a great episode. I thought it was possibly the weakest season opener we have had. I thought the acting wasn't great, especially with the 'can't stop laughing' scene, it felt almost awkward to watch.

I'm a massive fan but the writers really need to get it together, I am not looking forward to another season of Damon just lusting after Elena, they're starting to ruin the character.

I am also disliking how 'normal' the originals have become. They were introduced as almost God-like and powerful but now...they just seem a little bit above average who are all hopelessly in love; Klaus with Caroline. I need some action rather than another love triangle.

I preferred it to the Season 3 opener, which was extremely depressing.

I agree with you about the Originals becoming too 'humanised' which is why I'm glad we don't get Elijah overload, as I'd hate for his character to be ruined that way. I like how he remains badass pretty much every time we see him. I think becoming regulars/frequent guest stars had done little for the characters of Rebekah and Klaus. I know they said it was reinforced steel at the pastor's ranch where they were being held, but I can't picture Elijah being caged up like Rebekah was without a bigger fight and removing a few organs along the way. And I've never understood why Klaus was so feared. I hope he refrains from his pony portraits this season. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was kinda worried the show would wimp out and have bonnie save elena so thank you for that :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4.2 maybe the best episode of the Vampire Diaries ever. Starts kinda slow, but kicks into high gear about half way through and doesn't stop. Loved the church set piece. Loved the end. 5/5.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to agree fantastic episode! That ending just fabulous.:cool:
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the best VD episode for a very long time. Last season it was all over the place, but if it continues like this we're in for a treat. It was so stupidly tense for about 95% of the time, goodness me:D
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, so what is the new hunter? He is obviously super powerful, and weird that dead ink on his arm, thought was a nice move from the writers. Jeremy still has his uses.

I liked matt saving elena from running to April and her using her compulsion was a nice move, finally Caroline and elena have a moment FINALLY. Not sure why it took them so long tbh!? Caroline rocked the way she protected elena like a big sister/best friend, and saying you have to believe it... Niiiice

So much to like about this episode, the lanterns was very well done, and Damon having a drink with rick, awesome!!!

Hope the quality stays like this as I enjoyed this thoroughly!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Finally, this was a great episode! I loved everything about it! It was so refreshing to have an episode with no mention of the Originals. It had a Season 1 vibe with all the gang being together.

The only problem I had actually was the CONSTANT use of "emotions are heightened". They need to find another word for heightened. Haha.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, this was a great episode! I loved everything about it! It was so refreshing to have an episode with no mention of the Originals. It had a Season 1 vibe with all the gang being together.

The only problem I had actually was the CONSTANT use of "emotions are heightened". They need to find another word for heightened. Haha.

I'd change it to, you've got a vampire strop going on.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back, I couldn't wait and watch it at UK pace.

Gotta echo all the above comments, fantastic episode. The church scenes were very well done and Caroline being the teacher to Elena was very welcome. Nice to see Tyler step up and 'take one for the team' and good continuity that he wasn't present at the memorial.

Connor clearly has a ghost connection with Jeremy seeing his tattoo when nobody else can. Interesting where he'll go from here.

Stand out scene for me was Damon at Alarics grave, looking after the 'kids' lol, the cameo made it even better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a brill episode :D I was almost crying at the end :o