Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh in this morning and another 2.5lbs off. that's 8.5lbs in four weeks :)

(the method I am using is slimming world).
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    82.5kg today, down from 83kg last week. But since I was feeling thirsty when I weighed and I've had a drink since, I'm going to count that as a hold. 0.5kg (a bit under a pound) in a week would be my ideal weightloss speed I think, but I suspect I've cheated slightly in terms of not drinking much today :)

It feels as if I'm starting to enjoy my food more now that I'm eating less of it. I have plain marmite sandwiches today, albeit made from seeded bread, and they taste very fine indeed.

I think I need to be more careful with calories this week so that I continue down towards my goal of 80kg. It's close enough now that it shouldn't take long to get there. Then I can work out what to do next.

Congratulations to Steff and Kyresa.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I haven't posted in here since the beginning as I haven't really started properly yet but I weighed myself on Tuesday and somehow I had lost 2lbs.

I am starting properly this weekend off to the gym tomorrow and Sunday(and then aim to go about 2-3 times a week and do hour or so off walking or on the Wii in the days I don't go) and going to do nice healthy meals. I have a year to lose 3 and half stones, we intend to get married July/August 2014 so I now actually have something to aim for as well.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Been a bit naughty and not posted here since the start of the year when I promised I wouldn't do that again! I had a bit of a tricky start to the year but I'm back on track now. When I posted I was weighing 208.8lbs (a shade under 14st 13lbs). Weighed myself today and I'm now down to 199lbs (14st 3lbs). My weighing scales always weighs in lbs so psychologically for me it's great to finally be under the stubborn 200lb mark which has been plaguing me for years. So yeah, bit of a milestone today.

Need to lose another 10lbs to get myself down to a BMI of 'normal'. Fairly happy with my progress. :)
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost a pound this week, total weight loss 5st.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Lost a pound this week, total weight loss 5st.

Congratulations netcurtains and everyone else who lost weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Hey peeps. Lost half a stone since I first dipped into the thread but I seem to have stagnated for the last couple of weeks. I train 4 times a week, HIIT and weights and stick to 1200 cals a day as per my fitness pal, but my weight loss seems to have stopped. I can see my body shape changing and becoming more toned, but I wish the pounds would reflect this too. Can anyone suggest a way to speed things up?

Well done to everyone else on their weight loss!!!:) X
    Forum Member
    Hey peeps. Lost half a stone since I first dipped into the thread but I seem to have stagnated for the last couple of weeks. I train 4 times a week, HIIT and weights and stick to 1200 cals a day as per my fitness pal, but my weight loss seems to have stopped. I can see my body shape changing and becoming more toned, but I wish the pounds would reflect this too. Can anyone suggest a way to speed things up?

I would imagine since you're doing weights that you're still burning fat but the gain in muscle is why you're not actually losing weight on the scales. I wouldn't worry too much if that is the case.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Either eat more calories for a while or less. Less should work but isn't recommended by MFP, more should help make your metabolism work according to many.
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I would imagine since you're doing weights that you're still burning fat but the gain in muscle is why you're not actually losing weight on the scales. I wouldn't worry too much if that is the case.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think you may be right, I only have a stone or so to lose anyway, so imagine its slower than someone that has to lose quite a bit.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Either eat more calories for a while or less. Less should work but isn't recommended by MFP, more should help make your metabolism work according to many.

I've heard this too, but I'm a bit frightened that if I eat more it will have the reverse effect, lol.
    Forum Member
    I've heard this too, but I'm a bit frightened that if I eat more it will have the reverse effect, lol.

You could have a cheat day. I have one each week where I go above my calorie limit and I'm still losing weight. I appreciate everyone's body works differently but I do think it helps my metabolism.
    Forum Member
    You could have a cheat day. I have one each week where I go above my calorie limit and I'm still losing weight. I appreciate everyone's body works differently but I do think it helps my metabolism.

Hey, I already have a cheat day once a week where I have whatever I want dinner.
    Forum Member
    Hey, I already have a cheat day once a week where I have whatever I want dinner.

Ah ok. I still think you should be ok doing what you're doing at the moment. I wouldn't eat any less than what you're eating anyway.
    Forum Member
    Ah ok. I still think you should be ok doing what you're doing at the moment. I wouldn't eat any less than what you're eating anyway.

Yes, I'm reluctant to go less as I have quite busy and active days so need the fuel. I normally eat porridge for breakfast, than maybe a banana for snack if I get hungry before lunch, then my lunch which could be a sald with chicken or tuna, then maybe an apple or something for a snack and then my dinner, which again is focused around lean protein and veg rather than carbs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    82.5kg today, down from 83kg last week. But since I was feeling thirsty when I weighed and I've had a drink since, I'm going to count that as a hold. 0.5kg (a bit under a pound) in a week would be my ideal weightloss speed I think, but I suspect I've cheated slightly in terms of not drinking much today :)

It feels as if I'm starting to enjoy my food more now that I'm eating less of it. I have plain marmite sandwiches today, albeit made from seeded bread, and they taste very fine indeed.

I think I need to be more careful with calories this week so that I continue down towards my goal of 80kg. It's close enough now that it shouldn't take long to get there. Then I can work out what to do next.

Congratulations to Steff and Kyresa.

Thankyou very much!! :)
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Are you actually a stone overweight? Or are you in your healthy weight range and trying to be even more in it?

Also, is it possible you're putting on muscle if you're training 4 times a week?

Hey. I'm just in the healthy BMI range, so not overweight as such, but I would feel far more comfortable a stone lighter.
    Forum Member
    I have a couple of questions guys,

First is about the fast diet, ive heard really mixed reviews about it, but i want to know if it actually does work!?

And second question, mainly to anyone doing weightwatchers, i eat quite alot of pasta, but always point it so im within my daily points allowance, but ppl tell me i eat pasta way too often, could this be affecting or slowing down my weight loss even if i am keeping within my points!?
    Forum Member
    Striing i have a little over a stone to lose.
    Forum Member
    So given you're not overweight and can see your body shape changing then perhaps you are building muscle?

I expect you'll lose a bit more eventually but it'll take time - perhaps you're the weight you're supposed to be? You could ask the nutritionist at your GP surgery for advice if you think you should be a bit less?

I'm doing weight watchers and I was a bit surprised at first at how little pasta you get for the points compared to say, rice. I recall you're another one who only has a small amount to lose so perhaps at that stage it is a bit of a waste of points to have pasta a lot? In theory, if you're within your points it shouldn't make a difference - but if you're near goal maybe it does?
    I had some tests done at the docs last year and my thyroid and everything is fine so it's not that. I'll just put it down to muscle mass I guess!:D
    Forum Member
    Oh I didn't mean tests to see if there's anything wrong with you. Just advice on how to lose weight from a nutritionist when you're within a healthy BMI, especially given that you've already identified that cutting more calories isn't a good move. They would be able to advise on what food is the best for you to eat and/or avoid to get to where you want to get to. No stranger on a forum can do that as it's not as simple as 'eat less - move more' when you're already doing that and aren't overweight!

Yes I recall that from an earlier post. I would have thought it's very possible that a lot of pasta isn't the best move at that stage, just purely judging from how many points it uses up. Try replacing it with rice for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference?

Oh I see! Well no worries on that front as I come from a family of doctors so I already know what to eat and what not to. Guess I'll just have to persevere! Thanks for your help
    Forum Member
    Oh I didn't mean tests to see if there's anything wrong with you. Just advice on how to lose weight from a nutritionist when you're within a healthy BMI, especially given that you've already identified that cutting more calories isn't a good move. They would be able to advise on what food is the best for you to eat and/or avoid to get to where you want to get to. No stranger on a forum can do that as it's not as simple as 'eat less - move more' when you're already doing that and aren't overweight!

Yes I recall that from an earlier post. I would have thought it's very possible that a lot of pasta isn't the best move at that stage, just purely judging from how many points it uses up. Try replacing it with rice for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference?

What kind of rice are we talking!? I do love rice :) i eat the packets of campbells savoury rice, theyre 4 points a packet cause theyre less then 2% fat. So tasty n filling too.
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think i am going to try this 5:2 diet and tomorrow will be my first fast day. I was thinking a slice of brown toast for breakfast, apple and a few grapes during the day and maybe a couple of melba toast (13 cals each) then cod and veg for tea?

How does this sound?

Has anyone bought the book about it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    started 9.1, now 8.12

well lets see how long that lasts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Lost half a pound this week. Pleased with it after I put on a pound last week so at least for now I'm back going in the right direction!

Hope everyone has a good week :)