US Open Tennis ITV 4?

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi with the French Open having been shown on ITV is is Possible that they will make a bid for the US Open. I think the ratings for Andy Murray got about 1m which is very good for ITV 4.

Comments

• THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Hi with the French Open having been shown on ITV is is Possible that they will make a bid for the US Open. I think the ratings for Andy Murray got about 1m which is very good for ITV 4.

Sky and British Eurosport have the rights in the UK to this event at present and Sky have the primary rights.
    Ian.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Sky and British Eurosport have the rights in the UK to this event at present and Sky have the primary rights.
    Ian.

British Eurosport have the rights until 2016 I beleave but not sure what.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    British Eurosport have the rights until 2016 I beleave but not sure what.

Eurosport have extended until 2017 in the same deal that kept the French until 2014.

Nothing on Sky Sports rights for the US open at present. The current deal ends this year.
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not possible. Sky Sports and British Eurosport own exclusive live rights to the US open.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stej86 wrote: »
    Not possible. Sky Sports and British Eurosport own exclusive live rights to the US open.

Sky's rights, as pointed out above, end after this years's tournament.

I don't know how good ITV's ratings were for the French Open, but I enjoyed their coverage and would love to see the same presentation / commentary team and set-up for the US Open.. It's a question of whether it works ratings wise for ITV..
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Sky's rights, as pointed out above, end after this years's tournament.

I don't know how good ITV's ratings were for the French Open, but I enjoyed their coverage and would love to see the same presentation / commentary team and set-up for the US Open.. It's a question of whether it works ratings wise for ITV..

Well i didnt realise that. It would be great if ITV could get the rights and put the US open FTA on ITV4.

All about if Sky wants to keep the rights or not though as they have the most money.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    I'd like ITV to pick up the rights to the Australian Open, given the lack of coverage on the BBC this year.
  • thebestbitthebestbit Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    ITV won't get Australian open. It's a night time event and their won't be much ratings.

Hence why note of the UK broadcasters really show much of the Australian open. Apart from the BBC and Murray games.
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    thebestbit wrote: »
    ITV won't get Australian open. It's a night time event and their won't be much ratings.

Hence why note of the UK broadcasters really show much of the Australian open. Apart from the BBC and Murray games.

The evening session (Australian time) starts from 8.30am GMT so that's not exactly overnight. I suppose it depends how much ITV would be willing to pay for it
  • thebestbitthebestbit Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Like I said, none of the UK broadcasters really have extensive coverage of the Australian open.

US Open would be perfect for ITV as it starts at 4pm. But I think SKY will be looking to keep that.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Like I said, none of the UK broadcasters really have extensive coverage of the Australian open.

US Open would be perfect for ITV as it starts at 4pm. But I think SKY will be looking to keep that.

British Eurosport do as they have coverage right through the night and into the following morning UK time which is then the evening session in Australia.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Eurosport have extended until 2017 in the same deal that kept the French until 2014.

Nothing on Sky Sports rights for the US open at present. The current deal ends this year.

I knew Eurosport had extended but not sure what they get from 2013.
    Not sure what the US Tennis Association policy is on fta broadcasting as that would help ITV.

If it is the highest bidder then I think SKY would win & not to mention ESPN who have in the UK picked up some tour events but thats if they are still around by then with the football rights.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if ITV got the US Open. I only have Sky Sports switched on for one month every year, and that is to view the US Open.

Eurosport only get the second tier matches live and show the big marquee matches the following day (during the morning/afternoon)
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's one of the few sports events that has been on Sky Sports since it's inception. I can't see ITV bidding for much more sport in the short term to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky will IMHO be keen to keep US Open as they have Masters series (including hardcourt events in lead up to US Open) and will (with subscriptions) always be able to outbid ITV. Aussie Open (with cash strapped BBC as only competitor) is a different matter altogether and ITV may come in as they did with the French Open.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't want ITV to get the US Open unless they have a red button match choice option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Wouldn't want ITV to get the US Open unless they have a red button match choice option.

Highly unlikely as no ITV red button on Freeview and limited interactive on Satellite. They're miles behind Sky in this regard and behind BBC also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

I admite it is a downfall on ITV but they can use ITV1, 3 & 4 with the last two being the main channels with ITV1 doing 4 - 6pm and the rest at 10.30pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    I admite it is a downfall on ITV but they can use ITV1, 3 & 4 with the last two being the main channels with ITV1 doing 4 - 6pm and the rest at 10.30pm.

They did use ITV 3 briefly during French Open so a possibility but unlikely that they would use it to include a whole evening's viewing over a fortnight I would guess.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    Ian.

That's correct and even when the rights come up for renewal, I expect that Sky would outbid ITV by paying a silly money price because this is the only Grand Slam tennis event that Sky have (although I would ideally like to see ITV4 get the rights).

It may or may not be available free to air on a 19.2*E satellite channel and an internet search or this forum here might help to clarify that: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=143

In addition, the US Tennis Open is available to view from a number of legitimate sites online such as Eurosport Player here: http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/offers.shtml
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Eurosport show about 10 hours a day of live Aussie open coverage. However because the live tennis is on overnight and ends at about 1pm its not really attractive to Sky, or ITV. The BBC have more or less given up on the Aussie open - they used to have daily red button coverage now its just the finals weekend and Andy Murray if he makes the quarters or semis.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's correct and even when the rights come up for renewal, I expect that Sky would outbid ITV by paying a silly money price because this is the only Grand Slam tennis event that Sky have (although I would ideally like to see ITV4 get the rights).

Sky have had quite a long relationship with the US Open, but out of interest, does anyone know why did they not manage to secure the French Open rights?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Sky even bid for the French Open.
    Their policy over the last six months seems to be not to buy anything new, but concentrate on extending or improving the rights they already have.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Their policy over the last six months seems to be not to buy anything new, but concentrate on extending or improving the rights they already have.

Exactly; Premier League Football, Super League (Rugby League), Cricket (domestic), Golf (European PGA Tour) have all had their broadcast rights extended by Sky within the last 12 months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know any coverage of Us Open on BBC 2013.