Films based on true stories - do you like them? - your favourites?

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
If you are watching a film and enjoying it, do you like it more, knowing its based on a true story? Or does it not make a difference to your perception of the film?

While watching 'In Pursuit of Happyness' yesterday I think it made it more poignant and emotional knowing that it was based on a true story. The sad scenes seemed even more sad, and the happy ending seemed happier. I sympathised with the characters more, knowing that they were 'real' people in 'real' situations.

I started watching 'Blow' last night, and that's definitely my sort of film, I find anything to do with the history of the drug trade very interesting, more so of its based on real events, as Blow is (will watch the rest tonight).

One of my favourite films is 'Midnight Express', based on the book written by Billy Hayes about his experiences in a Turkish prison after trying to smuggle out hashish.

I think I do generally favour films based on true stories, even if they are a little over dramatised for entertainment value. I tend to find them more compelling.

Which are your favourite films based on true stories?

Comments

• GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I love crime/drug based films i.e. Blow, Goodfellas with the exception of Pain and Gain - OH Loved it, I was bored stiff

Either the crime/drug genre or an uplifting one i.e. Erin Brocovich - I watched this for the first time last week and absolutely loved it!

So yes, I love films based on true stories x
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Apollo 13, Goodfellas, Zulu, Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico are some of the true stories I keep going back to.
  • BrightStarBrightStar Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    The Way Back http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/
    Alive & Shawshank
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, a film is good or bad entirely on the film itself. I don't like or dislike a film simply because it's based on true events, because in the majority of cases, you don't know what's true and what's been made up to make the film 'better', and knowing that it's based on true events doesn't make a good film better or a bad film any worse for me.

Favourite films in this genre would include Braveheart, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, A Night To Remember, Raging Bull and Zodiac.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Favourite films in this genre would include Braveheart...
    I think "based on true events" is really pushing it there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Which is precisely my point. It's a cracking film in its own right and it is 'based' on true events, in as much as some of the characters and events did really exist and happen, but you'd have to look into the 'real' history of Scotland (or at least, the history that academics can agree on) to seperate fact from fiction. There's no way of distinguishing this from the film itself, or with any other film in the genre.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's some good films there but always associate "based on a true story" with those UK Living TV movies usually staring one of Charlie's Angels!

Yes it gets even more complicated when the events are mostly real but some of the characters aren't! I enjoyed "The Last King of Scotland" knowing some of the events and people were of course real but the James McAvoy character was fiction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster starring Charlize Theron as serial killer Aileen Wuornos. An excellent film, and an outstanding performance from Theron. Watchable as Charlize is, she has never got anywhere close to being that brilliant since.

By the way, re. The Pursuit of Happyness, is there a reason why "happiness" is spelt that way?
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monster starring Charlize Theron as serial killer Aileen Wuornos. An excellent film, and an outstanding performance from Theron. Watchable as Charlize is, she has never got anywhere close to being that brilliant since.
    I must get round to watching that.

Others have mentioned Goodfellas. That's one of my favourites too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite films in this genre would include Braveheart, .
    Rorschach wrote: »

Stewart Lee had a superb part of his show about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHA1ufmLZQY
    I must get round to watching that.

Others have mentioned Goodfellas. That's one of my favourites too.

You won't be disappointed, Vic. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, re. The Pursuit of Happyness, is there a reason why "happiness" is spelt that way?
    Yeah, Will Smith points out the spelling mistake in the beginning of the film, the word 'happiness' is incorrectly spelled as 'happyness' at his son's daycare centre, and Smith's character ties it in with a famous quote about happiness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Will Smith points out the spelling mistake in the beginning of the film, the word 'happiness' is incorrectly spelled as 'happyness' at his son's daycare centre, and Smith's character ties it in with a famous quote about happiness.

Thanks. Really didn't fancy trawling the internet trying to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if the films mentions it, but the quote itself comes from the US Declaration of Independance, which says something about all men having the right to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if the films mentions it, but the quote itself comes from the US Declaration of Independance, which says something about all men having the right to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness'.
    Yes, that's it.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Titanic
    Cool Runnings
    :D
    Forum Member
    My mate Dave is convinced that Where Eagles Dare is a true story :eek:
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Here is mine :-

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Lawrence of Arabia
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Casualties Of War
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Insider.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whatever gave him that idea?!

Anyway, some of my favourite "true life" stories:

Walk The Line
    Amazing Grace
    The Aviator
    Goodfellas
    Zodiac
    Valkyrie (although, not much suspense in that one!)
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member

Tell him he's confusing that with Kelly's Heroes :D;)
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Name of the Father, 21, Argo, Alpha Dog, Erin Brockovich
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For me, a film is good or bad entirely on the film itself. I don't like or dislike a film simply because it's based on true events, because in the majority of cases, you don't know what's true and what's been made up to make the film 'better', and knowing that it's based on true events doesn't make a good film better or a bad film any worse for me.
    Exactly, especially the gap inbtween true events and based upon etc.
    Forum Member
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    Whatever gave him that idea?!

Anyway, some of my favourite "true life" stories:

Walk The Line
    Amazing Grace
    The Aviator
    Goodfellas
    Zodiac
    Valkyrie (although, not much suspense in that one!)

That's his idea of trying to make people think he's clever. We were discussing Where Eagles Dare and he put on his pompous professor act and said "That's a true story, you know."

Mind you that's from someone who thinks Jack the Ripper and Springheeled Jack were the same person.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's his idea of trying to make people think he's clever. We were discussing Where Eagles Dare and he put on his pompous professor act and said "That's a true story, you know."

Mind you that's from someone who thinks Jack the Ripper and Springheeled Jack were the same person.

He sounds hilarious. :D

I knew someone like that. Also called Dave, oddly enough!