What is a release clause, and who does it benefit?

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
With lots of talk in the press & media today regarding QPR and Harry's signings - it is reported that we need not worry (i assume regarding QPR going bankrupt) because players have a "release clause".

Ok assuming reports are true, and say Samba signed for £12m fee and will receive £100,000 a week, what sort of "release clause" would be written into his contract?

Would it benefit QPR, or would it benefit the player?

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    It benefits both.

It allows a relegation threatened club to sign a player of a higher standard than they would otherwise attract in order to help keep them up.

It allows the player to leave fairly quickly should the team go down, so he signs for a club he otherwise may not go to.

In the case of Samba it will be less than they have paid for him - thus benefitting him - but will help get him off the wage bill if they are relegated - benefitting the club.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    In theory it benefits the player I guess. It takes away the ability for the club to hold on to the player should they want to leave if an offer of a certain amount came in (see Ba recently for example).

It means that if QPR do go down and Samba feels he should be playing in the PL he has an easy(er) way out.

They're also an easy way for agents to make another chunk of money!
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    It benefits both.

It allows a relegation threatened club to sign a player of a higher standard than they would otherwise attract in order to help keep them up.

It allows the player to leave fairly quickly should the team go down, so he signs for a club he otherwise may not go to.

In the case of Samba it will be less than they have paid for him - thus benefitting him - but will help get him off the wage bill if they are relegated - benefitting the club.

But the player is on a £100k a week deal, say over 3 years - thats a £15m contract.

Who would pay Samba even close to that figure in the summer, when there is no urgency to pay over the odds?

Wouldnt you have to pay the player off (like Joe Cole)?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relegation release clause will usually accompany an automatic wage reduction clause as a double act. If the player wants to leave it's rendered a lot easier, but also if they stick it out they're agreed to not earn as much in the division lower which doesn't cripple the club. It's generally a mutally beneficial deal.

I can't remember which team it was but there was one relegated team recently pointed out as a model of foolishness for not including these wage reductions as standard.
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    But the player is on a £100k a week deal, say over 3 years - thats a £15m contract.

Who would pay Samba even close to that figure in the summer, when there is no urgency to pay over the odds?

Wouldnt you have to pay the player off (like Joe Cole)?

Edit - ignore me I've done some very stupid maths!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit - covered!
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    You're counting 100k a month rather than a week.

Yeh - I just realised that in the other thread!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle went down without any of their players on relegation release clauses and they said they could have only gone on for that season.

The clauses vary, some of those at QPR are rumoured to allow players to just walk away in May (Remy) and others at a quarter of cost.

Other players will have relegation release clauses that see's them take a drop in wages
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been Newcastle I was trying to remember now you've said that.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    A relegation release clause will usually accompany an automatic wage reduction clause as a double act. If the player wants to leave it's rendered a lot easier, but also if they stick it out they're agreed to not earn as much in the division lower which doesn't cripple the club. It's generally a mutally beneficial deal.

I can't remember which team it was but there was one relegated team recently pointed out as a model of foolishness for not including these wage reductions as standard.

Birmingham didn't have any clauses which is why they're stuck with Zigic on £50k a week.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely none of the hughes signings will have no wage decreasing clauses?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Surely none of the hughes signings will have no wage decreasing clauses?

I doubt Samba would join a club in the relegation zone and have a relegation wage decrease. He is obviously only in it for the money.