Why don't we have a say in where our taxes are spent ?

Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
Forum Member
Is there any particular reason why we're not consulted when our money is spent by 'those in charge' ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    We elect these people called MP's.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Political parties outline their budget plans in their manifesto, the public votes in the election, spending is then further outlined in the budget. I assume you voted?
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want them to call you before every decision, Dave?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Do you want them to call you before every decision, Dave?

Only reasonable. What would Dave like to do about setting next year's local services support grant?
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I have no problem in seeing money spent where it should be spent, but when it comes to things like spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on 'consultancy' (where projects are never realised), then I'm sure you'd agree there's a right to be heard.

Also, why isn't there any refund when that kind of sick end-result occurs ? - it seems private companies are laughing all the way to the bank.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asking the public to micromanage the economy would be just about the worst thing any government could do.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I have no problem in seeing money spent where it should be spent, but when it comes to things like spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on 'consultancy' (where projects are never realised), then I'm sure you'd agree there's a right to be heard.

You do have a right to be heard. Write to your MP or councillors. Don't vote for them next time round. Run for office yourself or join a political party. There are lots of ways to make your opinions listened to.

Implementing some sort of do you want to spend this £10 on a) healthcare or b) education system would be somewhat unworkable.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having the general public in charge of the finances would be like putting the children in charge of the weekly household shop.

It would all go on Haribo, and they'd be no toilet paper.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Is there a particular 'consultancy' that cost hundreds of thousands of pounds you're referring to? Or a particular unrealised project?
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Is there a particular 'consultancy' that cost hundreds of thousands of pounds you're referring to? Or a particular unrealised project?

In my neck of the woods, £33,000 of taxpayers' money was wasted on plans for a health centre. That figure didn't include any staff costs.

I'd say that's pretty disgusting. Even moreso when nothing was claimed back.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I have no problem in seeing money spent where it should be spent.

This is highly subjective.

We would need a referendum every week.