HIDE-Too scary for kids?

thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
Forum Member
hi
ive a 10yr old and 8yr old and they like drwho and watch all the episodes,,apart from HIDE they find it too scary,,this and the sexual tension with emma and alec is this episode really ok for the kids ? is most episodes a mixture of u cert and pg cert but hide must be a 15...or am i totally wrong

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm, IMO it's hardly anywhere near as scary as for example The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances back in series 1 or Blink in series 2. Actually I could think of a lot of NuWho episodes that seemed scarier than Hide to me. Honestly Hide seemed to have a rather Scooby Doo feel to me. As for the tension between Emma and Alec, umm there was nothing extremely sexual about it and it was hardly any worse than any of the Doctor-River innuendo we got over the years or Amy trying to sleep with the Doctor back in series 5.

Also when I look at the DVDs they seem to tell me that quite a lot of NuWho is rated PG12.
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    yep i tend to agree with you on all that ,,but theres something about hide that scares them compared to blink or the empty child,,blink ,,just angels transporting people that blink to another time and empty child ,,with everyone having as gas mask lol but hide ,,its about a ghost and a bogey man suppose thats what made them totally scared and didnt want to watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    The thing is, what kids are scared by is so subjective and varies so much from child to child. That's why film certificates are only guides, not absolute rules. My son has had problems with less than a handful of Doctor Who episodes over the years (and often the ones I'm wary of him seeing turn out to be his favourites, then he'll be scared by one that I think is much more innocuous), but when we put an old video of Wurzel Gummidge on once, thinking he would love it, he completely freaked out and it had to be switched off straight away, never to be played again!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hide is a PG.

Of post 2005 Dr Who nine episodes are rated 12- The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Tooth and Claw, Planet of the Ood, The Doctor's Daughter, Silence in the Library, The Waters of Mars, The God Complex and The Angels Take Manhattan.

The other episodes are all PG, except for Rise of the Cybermen which I guess the bbfc didn't take that seriously given they gave it a U rating.

I don't think Hide is that scary, given the end is reassuring.
    Forum Member
    funny they were ok with silence in the library lol walking creepy skeletons ,,,just cant explain why they wont watch hide and it was my top 3 of season 7 ,,i so want them to watch it because its wasnt about a ghost and the bogey man was actually quite a nice chap lol ..oh well lets hope capaldi will make drwho more disneyish lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorterr wrote: »
    yep i tend to agree with you on all that ,,but theres something about hide that scares them compared to blink or the empty child,,blink ,,just angels transporting people that blink to another time and empty child ,,with everyone having as gas mask lol but hide ,,its about a ghost and a bogey man suppose thats what made them totally scared and didnt want to watch

Well, the scary part about Blink was the ending with the Doctor's speech to the audience which kids who relish in fantasy might actually believe.

The Empty Child uses a kid and gas masks which just as statues are real, true and in the end there's actualy even no baddie there, but the way it was done was so freaky that it was IMO more likely to creep children (and adults alike) out.

So, I guess they haven't actually watched the episode to the end? Where it turns out that the "ghost" is just a time traveling human and the bogey man while really hideous looking is actually really nice and only wants to be reunited with his partner?

But as has been said it is a rather subjective issue. Your kids might find this one to be the scariest, other people's find other episodes scariest. If they don't feel like watching this one, they can just enjoy watching all the others.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    BBFC Classification and advice:

PG, Contains mild scary scenes and threat.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/E869757F80E1220B80257B3C004F8C46?OpenDocument
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best bbfc rating for Who remains The Beginning set (first 13 1960's episodes), which is 12 for one use of bleeped strong language. Which it didn't have, the bbfc assumed a bleeped use of 'bastard' was a bleeped use of 'f***er', and that the bleeped f'er was worth a 12.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Hide is a PG.

Of post 2005 Dr Who nine episodes are rated 12- The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Tooth and Claw, Planet of the Ood, The Doctor's Daughter, Silence in the Library, The Waters of Mars, The God Complex and The Angels Take Manhattan.

The other episodes are all PG, except for Rise of the Cybermen which I guess the bbfc didn't take that seriously given they gave it a U rating.

Oddly enough, my nephews were fine with all the episodes you mention as being rated 12, whereas New Earth gave them both nightmares. As greymarl said, different kids will be disturbed by different things.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Lol my kids have never had Dr who related nightmares. I did with the stair climbing daleks (wtfhowaretjeydoingit) and the kandyman when I was 10, and I saw terminator before that hehe!
    Forum Member
    maybe rating a film or tv show can be irrelevant as something that was an 18 in the 70s would probably be at best a pg now and something thats in drwho today,in the 70s they would be shocked by it,in drwho.people die but its ok for kids to watch ,,imagine them watching 'the wiggies' and poor jeff gets eaten by dorothy the dinosaur ,,theyd be an uproar and shock and disgust by the viewers lol
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hide is a PG.

Why is THAT one a 12?? The intense emotional scene at the end?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »

If you mean TDD, probably because it involves gun violence resulting in an actual death.

Is Hide that scary? In my opinion, no... Far from it, sadly.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough, my nephews were fine with all the episodes you mention as being rated 12, whereas New Earth gave them both nightmares. As greymarl said, different kids will be disturbed by different things.

My Niece stopped watching the show after The Girl in the Fireplace.

She'd been fine throughout Series 1 but that one episode gave her nightmares and she never watched the show again*.

I'm guessing the Robot hiding under the bed was the thing that did it.

*She did watch the SJAs though.
    Forum Member
    yes the bit under the bed was scary ,,if she missed that bit she mightve been on season 7 by now but then hide wouldve gave her nightmares aswell,,HIDE is scaryyyyyyy ,,the director was really skilled
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »

If I had to guess, guns and associated violence?:confused:
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Hide is a PG.

How on earth is Rise Of The Cybermen a U?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I really think it's subjective to the child. New Who has been on since I was a kid, and back then during series 1 and series 2, I remember the Empty Child was the one everyone talked about. The boys used to chase us around the playground pretending to be gas mask zombies.

To me, The Unquiet Dead was far scarier because I was especially afraid of ghosts and also The Satan Pit. The majority of the scariness in Who is exciting for kids (or, that's how I remember it) and you love to be scared. I don't really think there's any episode which would have kids crying their eyes out and screaming from nightmares.

As for the sexual tension, I really don't think they'd pick up on it. When I was a kid I didn't pick up on anything like that until two people kissed, so I think it's all harmless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth is Rise Of The Cybermen a U?

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/doctor-who-rise-cybermen-1970

In fairness, Seeds of Doom and Attack of the Cybermen are more odd U ratings than Rise, which is quite silly. (Insert 'from beyond the grave!' quote here.)

Attack is a U in spite of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7aoZwFnyw
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No, definitely not.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 5-year-old had no trouble with Hide, but was scared by The Bells of St John. It was the Spoonheads ... familiar figure turns out to be a robot.
  • Percy HardyPercy Hardy Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    It's nice to know that Doctor Who can still scare kids. :)

The death of Styre from the Sontaran Experiment scared me as a kid and my sister got spooked by The Tomb of the Cyberman - this was in the early 90's! It'd be interesting to know if the classic stuff would scare kids today?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:my complaint it isnt wasnt scary enough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/doctor-who-rise-cybermen-1970

In fairness, Seeds of Doom and Attack of the Cybermen are more odd U ratings than Rise, which is quite silly. (Insert 'from beyond the grave!' quote here.)

Attack is a U in spite of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7aoZwFnyw

Rise is a bit silly, but still, you'd think the kidnapping homeless people off the streets and the assorted screaming would raise it above a U.

To reinforce the whole, 'it's completely subjective' thing, one of my earliest memories is being terrified of the Teletubbies. Seriously. I'll just leave this link here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyslm1bR5mo
    THE EYES OH GOD THE EYES AND THE GIGGLES MAKE IT STOP
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just by way of reference here are the BBFC guidelines on certification:-

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/BBFC%20Classification%20Guidelines%202009_6.pdf

:)