Argos TV to close

Comments

• OTTONIOTTONI Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when I read the title of this thread:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davetech wrote: »
    So if you put rubbish on then get no one watching it, that's a thumbs up, and a pat on the back, why bother in the first place then

maybe they should reduce the channels and make better tv,

If there isn't some dross paying to subsidise the better quality streams, the better quality streams will become too expensive and you will lose them too.
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I like Argos TV
    And maybe the only one
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's kinda futile my mentioning this, but I hope they give their slot to a music channel.......

Chart show tv, vintage tv, or scuzz, preferably.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I know it's kinda futile my mentioning this, but I hope they give their slot to a music channel.......

Argos TV can't give their slot to anyone. It's rented from Arqiva, the multiplex operator, who will offer it to the highest bidder (if there is more than one TV channel wanting the slot).
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Argos TV can't give their slot to anyone. It's rented from Arqiva, the multiplex operator, who will offer it to the highest bidder (if there is more than one TV channel wanting the slot).

I did say it was futile...... We've done aright for new channels/ annoucments this year. Uk tv, info tv, movie mix......

I'd like to see that continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None of the above are likely to raise enough money from the type of programmes they show to be able to fund a slot on DTT. Also, I very much doubt that any of those would want a part-time 6pm to 11pm slot.

Argos share with QVC Beauty and Rocks & Co, it would be more likely that one of those channels would take up the extra hours. QVC were rumoured to be looking for extra capacity on DTT not too long ago.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of time that was :rolleyes:
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the channel ends soon so a better channel can use the hours.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    I hope the channel ends soon so a better channel can use the hours.
    So what are all these great channels that are queueing up to use this (limited) space?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    So what are all these great channels that are queueing up to use this (limited) space?

Well 6pm-11pm is when most family are watching TV.

I said some thing better and let face it anything better then shopping telly.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I said some thing better and let face it anything better then shopping telly.
    But, going by past events, if there are no other broadcasters or content providers who want, can justify or afford that space, what do you expect to happen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But, going by past events, if there are no other broadcasters or content providers who want, can justify or afford that space, what do you expect to happen?

Well movie mix replace shopping telly on freeview channel 32 and just this week Quest drop all shopping telly and now have programs 24/7.

Time will tell.Argos TV still have to close before any other channel can take its places and we still don't no when Argos TV plan to close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well movie mix replace shopping telly on freeview channel 32
    One new (worthwhile) channel in how many months? Not exactly demonstrating a wealth of content providers eager to take any DTT space going (sadly).

Great content? A useful addition? PQ? It could be that the jury is still out on the pros & cons there.
    and just this week Quest drop all shopping telly and now have programs 24/7.
    Yes, using their own space. Just because one channel extends its hours does not mean that other content providers are queuing up to take any free space.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    davetech wrote: »
    So if you put rubbish on then get no one watching it, that's a thumbs up, and a pat on the back, why bother in the first place then

maybe they should reduce the channels and make better tv,

get rid of ALL shopping channels..
    get more HD MOVIES HD SPORTS
    Forum Member

music channels i like is vintage tv and bliss plus mtv classic
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    None of the above are likely to raise enough money from the type of programmes they show to be able to fund a slot on DTT. Also, I very much doubt that any of those would want a part-time 6pm to 11pm slot.

Argos share with QVC Beauty and Rocks & Co, it would be more likely that one of those channels would take up the extra hours. QVC were rumoured to be looking for extra capacity on DTT not too long ago.

they should get rid of all those channels and Only have ONE single 24 hour channel..
    they should add an extra movie channel ie true movies1 or movies4men.. they 24 hours and free on satellite tv..
    or horror channel..
    or true entertainment..
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    One new (worthwhile) channel in how many months? Not exactly demonstrating a wealth of content providers eager to take any DTT space going (sadly).

Dave ja vu? I don't think we've had any new shopping channels this year, have we? So, two worthwhile channels launched, one replacing teleshopping, the other in new space, all in the lat 3-4 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Dave ja vu? I don't think we've had any new shopping channels this year, have we? So, two worthwhile channels launched, one replacing teleshopping, the other in new space, all in the lat 3-4 months.

A +1 channel, especially one that is seemingly there whilst the slot owners decide what do do with the slot, hardly counts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If ITV agreed with you, they'd be using channel 39 for something other than The Zone during those hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    they should get rid of all those channels and Only have ONE single 24 hour channel..
    they should add an extra movie channel ie true movies1 or movies4men.. they 24 hours and free on satellite tv..
    or horror channel..
    or true entertainment..

And how do you plan to force these content suppliers to join DTT? The cost of distributing a channel on satellite is significantly lower than distribution on DTT.

Also, getting rid of the shopping channels means the shopping channels aren't paying for the slots, which would make carriage on DTT even more expensive and these channels even less likely to appear.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Poundland TV probably.

That would be hilarious!

"Everything a pound". (P&P £9.99)
    Forum Member
    It's probably more likely that Freeview will get

a new channel from UKTV;

A children's service from Viacom [I would be amazed if it was actually the main Nickelodeon channel and not a special FTA service];

plus possibly one the channels on the Manchester Television Network taking the plunge and going national.

Travel Channel is another one I think we may get in some form at some point in the future, if enough capacity is still available: I'm currently inclined to say that Argos TV's slot would be ideal for Travel Channel to dip its toe onto Freeview, like Scripps did with Food Network!

An outsider is TLC, which was considered for Freeview last year - but it's all gone quiet.

I would be surprised if Information TV launched a regular linear service - the content is ideal for a streamed channel.

But other teleshopping channels are here to stay...
  • merlin777merlin777 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    It's probably more likely that Freeview will get

a new channel from UKTV;

A children's service from Viacom [I would be amazed if it was actually the main Nickelodeon channel and not a special FTA service];

plus possibly one the channels on the Manchester Television Network taking the plunge and going national.

Travel Channel is another one I think we may get in some form at some point in the future, if enough capacity is still available: I'm currently inclined to say that Argos TV's slot would be ideal for Travel Channel to dip its toe onto Freeview, like Scripps did with Food Network!

An outsider is TLC, which was considered for Freeview last year - but it's all gone quiet.

I would be surprised if Information TV launched a regular linear service - the content is ideal for a streamed channel.

But other teleshopping channels are here to stay...

I'd be surprised to see travel channels at the moment. At least 2 have failed on satellite and that's cheaper than DTT.
    Forum Member
    merlin777 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised to see travel channels at the moment. At least 2 have failed on satellite and that's cheaper than DTT.

I would disagree: The Travel Channel, now owned by Scripps Networks (owner of the U.S. Travel Channel) has recently gone onto Freesat and has undergone a major revamp with lots of new programmes. If sister channel Food Network is anything to go by, we'll be hearing a lot more from Travel Channel in the coming years.