R2B: Return to Base

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yeah, it's not the greatest title but since it's a South Korean film, they can get away with it. :D

Anyway, just a heads up for those who like asian cinema, action and particularly.... TOP GUN. Although it's a remake of the film RED MUFFLER (aka RED SCARF), R2B also appears to be the Korean equivalent to that certain Tom Cruise classic (is it a classic?).

R2B was released in the Asian markets in August and is now in limited release in various US cities. I haven't seen it yet but the film trailer airs regularly on various Asian channels here in NYC. It actually looks good. I have no idea whether it has been released in Europe yet or if it ever will. But if you're a fan of Korean films than I'd thought that I would at least let you know about this film's existence.

I'd add the synopsis of the film here but it's so long and full of spoilers that I thought it would be best to just just keep it short and mention that it has modern fighter planes battling and flying in and around Korean cities. :D

You can watch the film trailer here: LINK

Comments

• DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Looks amazing! Thanks for posting!

Where can we buy it?!?
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pleasure.

It's still in theaters around the world so I'm guessing that it will be at least 3 months before it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

Where to buy it can be a little tricky. Unless there's a large demand for Korean films (or any asian films) where you live, most generic stores won't stock them or will only have a very small inventory. There are specialty online stores that sell Asian films. YesAsia is one of them: LINK

Bookmark that site if you're looking to own some hard to find films. R2B is certain to show up there within the next few months. :)
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

I finally got a chance to watch this film and unfortunately I found it to be disappointing. It's almost 2 hours long and the first hour is the typically slow korean melodrama and humor. But the last half of the film picks up quite a bit. There were a couple of nice dog fights and the aerial battle in and over Seoul between the SK and NK fighter planes was pretty darn good - the best part of the film. But there's a LOT of "nothing" happening most of the time and that's something you cannot do in a "popcorn" flick.

I did like the song that plays when the ending credits are rolling. It's called "Closer to the Sun" by Heo Gyu. You can listen to it here: LINK

I'm giving this film a 2 out of 5 stars.