Cheapest Online Shop

seanwalfordseanwalford Posts: 50
Forum Member
Hey guys,

Fairly new to comic book buying. Not many local shops too me. In fact a decent 30+ minute drive into city centre for nearest so buying mostly online. Where's cheapest currently to buy comics?

I'm mostly looking at newer upcoming ones as well as those released in the past 10 years. I'll be hopefully getting a copy of the strangers comic, and dexter plus doomsday.1 when there released but would love to know where's best to buy!

Thanks!

Comments

• Scotty12Scotty12 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the cheapest by I tend to use:
    http://www.disposableheroes.co.uk/

or

http://www.reedcomics.com/

Never had a problem with either of them and both are great with fast delivery. Also have a look at Ebay.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^disposable heroes offer free delivery and you can advanced order stuff and pay by paypal if you want - just put in an order for a whole bunch of #23s
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Don't think you'll get 'cheap' on new releases. The mark up is tiny enough as it is.

As a side note - How on earth do the comics shops make money? How many comics must they have to sell to even make the rent!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^have wondered that about my online store when I just buy one - cost ~£2.40, get free delivery in A4 cardboard backed envelope, and comic comes bagged and boarded too - so the profit they make must be ~4p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If yo' still after an online comic store you might also like to try wolfman dot com - just received Batman #19 from them and was defn impressed with their packaging - A4 cardboard backed envelope + extra cardboard insert, sandwiching the comic which was also backed and boarded... they even wrapped the b+b comic in a sheet of newspaper for added.... well I not quire sure why they did THAT but altogether it was top notch stuff. And a brief scanning of their web page reveals they offer a record delivery option too :)
    (-ve) browsing the site, well it does fall well short of the disposableheroes site :(
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royce wrote: »
    Don't think you'll get 'cheap' on new releases. The mark up is tiny enough as it is.

As a side note - How on earth do the comics shops make money? How many comics must they have to sell to even make the rent!?

The mark-up used to be roughly 25% per comic with better deals being available on bigger orders from Diamond (on massive orders you could get it up to 55% but your regular LCS wouldn't get anywhere near that, I don't think). Crux is that they're not returnable so unsold stuff, back-issues etc. are dead stock until someone takes them off your hands.

Comic shops buy bags and boards in big quantities which, depending on supplier, means the cost of bags to them can be whittled down to 2-4p per bag... Boards are a bit more expensive, my LCS has stopped boarding as standard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Disposable Heroes here, started using them at the beginning of the year and don't think I would use anyone else.

I used to use A Place in Space and I never had any issues with them either but I prefer the pre-ordering method on DH.