Half my tv screen is black

Anyone able to do a quick diagnosis??

I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD tv. A few months ago I noticed that half of the screen would flicker and go black for a few seconds when I turned it on. It's now got to the point where it takes around half an hour for the screen to clear, after being switched on.

We've just bought a new tv but if this one is fixable then we can move it to the bedroom. Any one have any ideas what might be wrong with it and if it will cost much to fix?

Comments

• jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What half of the screen is going black? upper, lower, left or right?
    Try calling up the menus, see if they sit over the black parts of the screen.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering if it could be some sort of backlighting issue? If you can see a faint image on the "blank" part of the screen (maybe shine a torch at the screen to make it more visible) then it could well be the backlight.

Though have to say can't ever recall seeing a screen pop one half the screen, usually all or nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's the left side. The whole left half of the screen from top to bottom. When I bring up a menu it's also affected, you can just about make out some lettering through the blackness, one menu is white lettering on a blue background, this just shows through the black as red lettering.
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you post a photo of the picture fault on here?
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be a faulty screen tab I'm afraid. Getting to be a very common problem. Only cure is a replacement screen.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »
    it's the left side. The whole left half of the screen from top to bottom. When I bring up a menu it's also affected, you can just about make out some lettering through the blackness, one menu is white lettering on a blue background, this just shows through the black as red lettering.

It's a faulty LCD screen, it would need replacing.

While it's not likely to be cheap, Sony replacement panels are usually the lowest cost ones available.

If you post the model number, I'll check how much it would cost for you.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    OP how long have you had the TV and did you take any extra insurance?

If not you try and contact Sony customer services to see if you can persuade them to pay for all or part of the repair cost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Model number is KDL-40v 3000

I'm trying to link to a pic but not having much luck! will keep trying!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the tv since may 2008 and had a 3 year warranty.
    Forum Member
    The Model number is KDL-40v 3000

OK, unfortunately the panel for that set is 'temporarily unavailable' - so they don't list a price on it.

In fact, at this very moment I'm in the process of repairing one under 5 year warranty, where (because the panel isn't available) D&G are writing it off, and Sony are sending a new TV out to replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help Nigel. :)

So I gather from what you're saying, it's going to cost rather alot, if the one you're doing is being written off and replaced?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help Nigel. :)

So I gather from what you're saying, it's going to cost rather alot, if the one you're doing is being written off and replaced?

It's been written off simply because the panel isn't currently available - this is a standard procedure by the insurers.

I've just been checking this years warranty claims, and I wrote off a 40V3000 in January for the same 'parts not currently available' reason.

I did fit a 40 inch panel earlier this year in a 40W4500 (not the same panel as your set) and it would have cost you £475+VAT for the job.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your best course of action would be to contact the original retailer and obtain a quote for repair if the 3 year warranty has expired.

If the warranty is still current, you'll be OK.

Depending on the cost - and the cost Nigel's given is probably indicative that the set will probably be considered beyond economic repair since a replacement set will only be £400-500 - you then need establish whether the original retailer is prepared to make any form of offer in terms of repair or credit towards replacement.

The Sale of Goods Act allows for 6 years to make a claim - IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU A 6 YEAR WARRANTY NOR DOES IT ENTITLE YOU TO A FULL REFUND, REPLACEMENT OR FREE REPAIR IN 6 YEARS (put in capitals, because that is a very important point). The reason this is important is many court judgments don't award any of the above and, correctly, consider how long you've owned the product and whether or not there have been other problems. They may take the view that since you've had 3 years without problems (out of a 6 year period in which you could claim) that your entitlement is for 50% of the cost of a new equivalent set.

Best start with the original seller and work from there.