New EE plans

justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
Forum Member
✭✭
So quite annoyed that I signed up less than a week ago and now they have all new plans. Anyway, looked this morning and it seems all over the place for SIM only plans.

They have a 12 month plan for £21 than gives 500 mb and then a £16 month plan that gives 1GB and both seem to offer 'super fast 4GEE', why would you pay £5 more for less.
Also, rather annoyingly, if you need a mirco SIM you can have 3GB data for £21, but not on the nano SIM.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only-group/

Comments

• unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has an anybody else noticed that the 12 month plans have now gone as well from the website all plans show as 24 months .

I understood that all networks had to offer contracts of 12 month duration, obviously they can charge high monthly fees and charges for devices.

Hopefully it is just an error and the 12 month plans will be back up online soon
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are these supposed to be cheaper because still too expensive for what you get
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    These new plans are much more expensive. So glad I signed up before the change
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere yesterday that they were doing a 4G PAYG phone for £130 but the cheapest I can see is £150 unless the original story quoted less VAT.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does seem to be cheaper by the pricing seems to all over the place. As well as one plan plan offering less data for a higher price, the jump in price from one plan to another is very big. You now have a £16 pcm plan for 1GB, but then it jumps to £26 for 5GB, no inbetween plan unless its a Micro Sim which offers 3GB for £21 (unless thats an error on the website). I've asked them to either give me 3GB for same price I'm currently paying (£21) or to drop my monthly cost down to £16.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    that makes no sense to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you select say the 5gb 12month sim only deal at £26 its actually the sim only 36 tariff which implies some of these have a discount applied to them.

I am currently on the sim only 31 plan that I took up with £10 discount so whilst its the SO31, its only £21 per month (actually much less thanks to further discount but still).

I would guess these prices, whilst confusing, are discounted offers to tempt you over.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does all seem a bit confusing. I'm on the 26 tarriff, which was discounted to £21 and seems to have been for the past several weeks, now that plan is £16 (if you click on the £16 option is shows says its the 4GEE 26 Plan). I have spoken to someone in the cancellation dept and they are looking into if for me and looking to get me swapped to one of the new plans but it seems like they have had little info and training for the new plans so she's coming back to me. Told them I'm happy to continue paying £21, but want 3GB data if thats the case or want my plan dropped to £16.
    Forum Member
    could someone explain to me what the deal is with minutes and texts on these plans?

and what is meant by: Top up £10 every month and we’ll give you loads of free minutes to use throughout 2014, too.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    could someone explain to me what the deal is with minutes and texts on these plans?

and what is meant by: Top up £10 every month and we’ll give you loads of free minutes to use throughout 2014, too.

2014 FREE MINUTES IN 2014

Get 168 free minutes every month you top up £10

That's what it says on their site
    Forum Member
    2014 FREE MINUTES IN 2014

Get 168 free minutes every month you top up £10

That's what it says on their site

i see. what would be the point of having a contract phone and having to top it up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see. what would be the point of having a contract phone and having to top it up?

flagpole, thats for pay as you go customers... top up £10 and you get the free minutes. you can then use the credit to buy data, text or call add-ons.

contract customers get unlimited calls and texts on all but the cheapest 24m contract as far as I can see. on sim only this is on all deals.
    Forum Member
    myromeo wrote: »
    flagpole, thats for pay as you go customers... top up £10 and you get the free minutes. you can then use the credit to buy data, text or call add-ons.

contract customers get unlimited calls and texts on all but the cheapest 24m contract as far as I can see. on sim only this is on all deals.

i see. it should probably mention that somewhere.

also this is a bit weird:
    £21.00 4G 500MB 12 Months
    £21.00 4G 3GB 12 Months

the whole thing is a mess.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Whoa. The've totally ballsed-up the presentation of this on the website. Web pages have never been EE's strong point!

Just pointed out the price discrepancies out to one of their staff..

Not like they've not known about it for awhile or anything :o
    Forum Member
    The website is bad. That page should not have payg pricing on it. It should mention calls and texts. You should be able to sort and show by length, data etc and the discrepancies should not be there.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    Has an anybody else noticed that the 12 month plans have now gone as well from the website all plans show as 24 months .

I understood that all networks had to offer contracts of 12 month duration, obviously they can charge high monthly fees and charges for devices.

Hopefully it is just an error and the 12 month plans will be back up online soon

No error. Only 24 month contracts with handsets now. Same across all three brands.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    No error. Only 24 month contracts with handsets now. Same across all three brands.

I will have to start buying my iphone out right then as it was bad enough when I had to go from 12 months to 18 months on a contract and now 24 months is a killer . I grt bored after a year and want to upgrade .
    Forum Member

is there not an ofcom ruling that the have to offer 12 month contracts?
    http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/05/uk-consumers-benefit-from-european-telecoms-law-changes/

and the actual GC9 here:
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/competition-bulletins/open-cases/all-open-cases/cw_01082/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see. it should probably mention that somewhere.

also this is a bit weird:
    £21.00 4G 500MB 12 Months
    £21.00 4G 3GB 12 Months

the whole thing is a mess.

it sure is confusing!

I can only assume the £21 for 500mb is the 'normal' plan... the £21 for 3gb (which I am on) has a £10 discount as it did a month ago... the £16 1gb plan is the £26 plan with £10 discount...

its a real mess, for a 'super fast' network the web site is a joke. Its also laughably one of the slowest pages i've tried to load on my EE4G phone!!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

It puzzles me how people keep bringing this up time and time again.

EE are following the law just fine. They do offer 12 month contracts, just without a handset. Which is fine.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

i asked a question. it puzzles you that i did not know the answer before i asked?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    EE are following the law just fine. They do offer 12 month contracts, just without a handset. Which is fine.

This.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member

This..^^

I've never seen the point in buying a short contract with a large upfront phone cost, large monthly cost and poor plan offerings too.

24m works out for many as the upfront cost isn't a stinger, ongoing monthly is cheaper, get more data/incentives and is attractive for the network to sell but obviously costs more in the long term (much like payment deferrals or borrowing always do)

It always works out cheaper to buy outright and get a 12month or less sim only, especially if you like to network hop or change phone often.

I think Vodafone is the only one of the big 4 offering 12 month contracts including the phone?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    i asked a question. it puzzles you that i did not know the answer before i asked?

No, its just I've heard it so many times before from other people.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It puzzles me how EE can publish a website in its current state, what a mess!