iPhone 4 - will get data but no mobile signal - help please!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
Forum Member
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help please? Recently I lost my iPhone 5 and a friend kindly gave me his old iPhone 4 as a replacement. I have got a new micro SIM from Vodafone with my old number on but upon activation I can only get data and no actual mobile signal!!

Does anybody know what the problem or solution is please?

Any help much appreciated :D

x

Comments

• corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By data do you mean wifi? otherwise mobile data is obtained via a mobile signal.

Is the phone sim unlocked? do you get a sim error message?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    By data do you mean wifi? otherwise mobile data is obtained via a mobile signal.

Is the phone sim unlocked? do you get a sim error message?

Wifi works as well but no, I mean mobile data, that's why I'm so confused as to there being no Vodafone signal! I'm not sure about it being SIM unlocked but the previous owner was contract Vodafone as well so shouldn't be a problem. No SIM error message either........ I have a feeling I may need to take it into the shop for them to have a look at
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    But surely if you have data then it must say "Vodafone 3G" at the top of the screen doesn't it?
    If there was no signal, you wouldn't get any data connection.
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    But surely if you have data then it must say "Vodafone 3G" at the top of the screen doesn't it?

No, that's why I don't understand what the problem is. All it says is "No Service GPRS" at the top.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »

Not entirely correct.

The way mobile phones "register" on the network on pre-4G networks works like this

There are two separate logical connections - one on a circuit switched and one on a packet switched domain. One provides the phone with a phone number allowing it to make and receive calls, the other provides it with an IP address allowing it to make and receive data. This is how mobile data can be turned on and off independently of your phone calls. Both go through the same, physical 3G modem.

It's like logging into GMail on your computer for emails and also logging into Skype to make voice calls. The two operate separately and independently.

Most phones will automatically connect CS (voice) on startup and then optionally PS (data) when needed. Hence, CS should always be active, while CS+PS is optional extra - on handsets.

Most phones, then, also use the presence of a successful CS registration to decide whether or not to display signal bars or "No service" - in this case it really only refers to voice service. However, it is possible to get PS (data) connections on their own, without CS (voice) at all. There are both phones and SIMs that only support data with no voice at all.

Now because it's possible (both intentionally, and due to a fault) to get PS without CS, if your phone is one of many that only considers CS to be "signal" it'll display no signal or service in the presence of a PS only registration. Simples.

Long story short - your phone is operating in "data only" mode, and not displaying signal bars not because there's no signal, but because it can't get a voice connection. This is a common phenomena on phones that aren't intended for data-only connections.

As for possible causes, the three I can think of are:
    1) Vodafone make a lot of data-only SIM cards and may have sent you one by accident (unlikely)
    2) The handset might have been set to PS only mode (also unlikely)
    3) A network or account glitch that hasn't registered your voice line properly to your SIM (probably the most likely). O2 had a couple of these a few years back on a nationwide scale - people could get data but no voice causing phones to display "No service"

So I'd try, in order:

a) A different SIM
    b) Calling Vodafone and asking them to replace the SIM
    c) Factory resetting the phone.
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Not entirely correct.

The way mobile phones "register" on the network on pre-4G networks works like this

There are two separate logical connections - one on a circuit switched and one on a packet switched domain. One provides the phone with a phone number allowing it to make and receive calls, the other provides it with an IP address allowing it to make and receive data. This is how mobile data can be turned on and off independently of your phone calls. Both go through the same, physical 3G modem.

It's like logging into GMail on your computer for emails and also logging into Skype to make voice calls. The two operate separately and independently.

Most phones will automatically connect CS (voice) on startup and then optionally PS (data) when needed. Hence, CS should always be active, while CS+PS is optional extra - on handsets.

Most phones, then, also use the presence of a successful CS registration to decide whether or not to display signal bars or "No service" - in this case it really only refers to voice service. However, it is possible to get PS (data) connections on their own, without CS (voice) at all. There are both phones and SIMs that only support data with no voice at all.

Now because it's possible (both intentionally, and due to a fault) to get PS without CS, if your phone is one of many that only considers CS to be "signal" it'll display no signal or service in the presence of a PS only registration. Simples.

Long story short - your phone is operating in "data only" mode, and not displaying signal bars not because there's no signal, but because it can't get a voice connection. This is a common phenomena on phones that aren't intended for data-only connections.

As for possible causes, the three I can think of are:
    1) Vodafone make a lot of data-only SIM cards and may have sent you one by accident (unlikely)
    2) The handset might have been set to PS only mode (also unlikely)
    3) A network or account glitch that hasn't registered your voice line properly to your SIM (probably the most likely). O2 had a couple of these a few years back on a nationwide scale - people could get data but no voice causing phones to display "No service"

So I'd try, in order:

a) A different SIM
    b) Calling Vodafone and asking them to replace the SIM
    c) Factory resetting the phone.

Thanks ever so much for your response, I tried a different SIM and it worked, then reset the phone and mine still didn't work so I've taken last resort and phoned Vodafone. The lady I spoke to has guaranteed me (I'm a bit sceptical !!) that it will be working within the next 2 hours!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Hi starfruit_86,

Is this now resolved for you?

If not, could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as I can?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
    Forum Member
    Hi starfruit_86,

Is this now resolved for you?

If not, could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as I can?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your message but it's all sorted now :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Great stuff starfruit_86.

Thanks for letting me know.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK