The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Loving this episode so far.... But I can't really understand what frank is saying most of the time
    Forum Member
    A really good episode! 7.5/10!
    The problems were, What happened to the fortune teller?
    This has happened a lot, they leave some things unexplained!

I really want them to show them going to school or in their school uniform!!! They have never done this in TBR OR TDG!
    It's very unrealistic! Is it always the weekend or the holidays?!

Lily virtually leaves at The Dumping Ground!!! She has been in every episode! Now her father has a girlfriend, she wouldn't need respite care! It's okay to visits but in EVERY episode so far!-It's not right.

AW I remember when they showed Tracy in school once when it was TSOTB
    Forum Member
    OOOo frank looking sharp, shame those trainers ruin it :sleep:
    Forum Member
    I'm sensing SCAM, with this medium/phycic
    Forum Member
    Hahaha knew it ;)
    Forum Member
    LOL ... Did he just say he gambled the money:eek: at that age...
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really good episode! 7.5/10!
    The problems were, What happened to the fortune teller?
    This has happened a lot, they leave some things unexplained!

I really want them to show them going to school or in their school uniform!!! They have never done this in TBR OR TDG!
    It's very unrealistic! Is it always the weekend or the holidays?!

Lily virtually leaves at The Dumping Ground!!! She has been in every episode! Now her father has a girlfriend, she wouldn't need respite care! It's okay to visits but in EVERY episode so far!-It's not right.

I believe it's set in the summer holidays so it would make sense for Lily to see her friends, I'm fine with that. It also gives Shanay and Steve more time to look after the baby I guess.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    Loving this episode so far.... But I can't really understand what frank is saying most of the time

He has cerebal palsy so it's understandable. It's better with subtitles however.

Hope in the future they do show them at school or focus at their life there.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Quite liked this episode.

I think my favourite ep sp far is probably S.O.S the storyline was fairly grim but it was a well done episode. A real shame to think that stuff like that goes on behind closed doors :(.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    With regards to the school thing, they showed it quite frequently in Series 1 of The Story of Tracy Beaker, but they haven't really done it since then. I think they think they can show a better story set in the care home - and to be honest I think they're right, because it's supposed to be a drama about children in care, if they started showing lots of school scenes it would just be another kids/teen drama. I just assume most of the action we see goes on at the weekend. We know they go to school as it's regularly discussed, but not seen very often.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    I'm sensing SCAM, with this medium/phycic

A grown-up trying to rip off the kids from The Dumping Ground? As if.......
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I think they think they can show a better story set in the care home - and to be honest I think they're right, because it's supposed to be a drama about children in care, if they started showing lots of school scenes it would just be another kids/teen drama
    But the relationship between the care kids and other kids whether at school or elsewhere is a seam of stories that has only been lightly mined.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    A grown-up trying to rip off the kids from The Dumping Ground? As if.......

There was barely any money involved so...
  • thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    With regards to the school thing, they showed it quite frequently in Series 1 of The Story of Tracy Beaker, but they haven't really done it since then. I think they think they can show a better story set in the care home - and to be honest I think they're right, because it's supposed to be a drama about children in care, if they started showing lots of school scenes it would just be another kids/teen drama. I just assume most of the action we see goes on at the weekend. We know they go to school as it's regularly discussed, but not seen very often.

They should, at least show them in uniform or uniform in their room!

-TheHordeOfTravesties
    Forum Member

-TheHordeOfTravesties

In all fairness what difference would it make?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

-TheHordeOfTravesties

Isn't it set the summer? I'm not really bothered about it since we already know they go to School.
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    Isn't it set the summer? I'm not really bothered about it since we already know they go to School.

I'm pretty sure its set in the summer. Their life at school doesn't have much relevance to their life in care in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its set in the summer. Their life at school doesn't have much relevance to their life in care in my opinion.

I agree.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did cover lots of school issues in Tracy Beaker. I remember she got into trouble for not doing her homework, when she had but she had written one of those stories about her mother being rich, beautiful and there. The teacher asked her to read it out so she claimed she hadn't done it.
    They also had an episode about Jackie because she could go to school, because she kept running away.
    The Dumping Ground however seems to be set in school holiday time, the fact that Frank got his GCSE results would tell us it is in the holiday's. This series seems to be focusing on each character which is good. I like the friendship between Frank and Faith.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They must all be set in the summer months. We've never seen Xmas in the Dumping Ground, have we?
  • thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »

It isn't important but right now it looks like they spend their entire time at the care home having fun. The don't need to show them going to school but a few nods or hints.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't important but right now it looks like they spend their entire time at the care home having fun. The don't need to show them going to school but a few nods or hints.

BIB - Which makes perfect sense because they are on their summer holidays. Why else would they be enjoying themselves?

I really don't see the problem. We've already had hints in last week's episode. (Frank getting his results immediately tells us that they do go to school but they are currently on holiday). We also had one or two hints in past episodes of Tracy Beaker Returns.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    They must all be set in the summer months. We've never seen Xmas in the Dumping Ground, have we?

No we haven't, but maybe there'll be a Christmas-themed episode in future series.

In all fairness, once they start showing them at school and their life there, it loses it's purpose and becomes like most other dramas on TV. TDG's winning formula is simply the life of kids in care and that's why the ratings are so high.

I'm actually quite excited about Rick's episode this Friday as we don't know much about his character apart from the fact his parents are in prison for fraud and he knows a lot about scamming.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I'm actually quite excited about Rick's episode this Friday as we don't know much about his character apart from the fact his parents are in prison for fraud and he knows a lot about scamming.

I'm looking forward to it too! But part of me is scared that they're going to mess it up. I really hope they don't. I absolutely love Rick - in fact, I think he's even more watchable than Liam was - and one reason why I like him is that he is never inconsistent. I think most of the characters have behaved out of character at some point, but I have never had that problem with Rick.
    Forum Member
    TDG shows how children's TV has changed over many years and how to correctly handle issues that are dealt with in real life - one reason for its success.

I don't know how much longer Elektra will last there - Jess Revell may not look 18 but surely after 16 they'll have to move out as with Frank, Rick and maybe Faith even though some of those pretty much carry the show.