Dimwit Flanagan strikes again

Comments

• CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I haven't read through all the thread so this may have been mentioned before, but I used to wonder why they changed 'Rawsie's' character from being very bright to being a complete airhead, I now think it was probably because the scriptwriters and producers realised that Helen was so dim in real life she was not even able to pretend to be clever for her character's sake. It will always be a mystery to me why some 'zelebs' positively revel in their 'thickness'.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    I haven't read through all the thread so this may have been mentioned before, but I used to wonder why they changed 'Rawsie's' character from being very bright to being a complete airhead, I now think it was probably because the scriptwriters and producers realised that Helen was so dim in real life she was not even able to pretend to be clever for her character's sake. It will always be a mystery to me why some 'zelebs' positively revel in their 'thickness'.

That's a really, really good point. :) Wasn't she supposed to be some kind of genius who had to be sent to a private school to exploit her brilliance? Well remembered, sir/madam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Maxine Peacock (cant remember he name) was a bit liek this, and promoted anorexia or bulimia.. I fear Helen will go down the same route and never be heard of again.. or is that just wiishful thinking
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxine Peacock (cant remember he name) was a bit liek this, and promoted anorexia or bulimia.. I fear Helen will go down the same route and never be heard of again.. or is that just wiishful thinking

Tracy Shaw played Maxine and IIRC she suffered from anorexia but I don't remember her actively 'promoting' it. There's a world of difference between suffering from anorexia and deliberately inciting people to look at 'thinspiration' pictures.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will always be a mystery to me why some 'zelebs' positively revel in their 'thickness'.

Because if a young person gives a really smart, considered interview nobody reads it. If they talk utter, utter bollocks about things they have nothing to do it makes the headlines, makes a 'trending topic' and suddenly everyone's talking about them.

UK popular culture has not favoured intelligence for quite some time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was on The Saturday Night Show on RTE1 last night talking about what a lovely man Michael Le Vell is. :D:eek::o

She just came across - again - as quite astonishingly stupid, spoilt and laughably delusional. She should be protected, really. She's several sandwiches, a rug, a basket, a flask and a wasp short of a picnic.

Oh I do love that :D
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4eyFLDXrTQ

She's a better actress than that Faye character that's in it now and who the heck is that playing Sophie? I thought Vincent was in it from the beginning :eek:
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I wish people would leave this girl alone , she is not a bad person and has a good heart really. So what if she endorses being slim , its not the crime of the century .

There are too many fat girls eating chips anyway.

Chin up Helen ignore the haters

There's a difference between endorsing slimness and liking a picture (that's linked to her twitter) that says 'craving is only a feeling'. It's telling people to ignore their body telling them to eat on the basis of it's just a feeling. That's promoting eating disorders.

If she liked something that was promoting healthy eating and exercise it would be a different response because that's promoting health, she's promoting anorexia.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was on The Saturday Night Show on RTE1 last night talking about what a lovely man Michael Le Vell is. :D:eek::o

With the greatest of respect, she worked with him on a daily basis for a number of years so I would say her opinion of him is very relevant. I didn't see the interview but I assume she was asked what sort of person he was and she answered accordingly. If he was nice to her and treated her with respect, then I can't see any real problem with saying that.

Should she be forced to add a caveat that she is "shocked and appaled" by the charges or something along those lines ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the greatest of respect, she worked with him on a daily basis for a number of years so I would say her opinion of him is very relevant. I didn't see the interview but I assume she was asked what sort of person he was and she answered accordingly. If he was nice to her and treated her with respect, then I can't see any real problem with saying that.

Should she be forced to add a caveat that she is "shocked and appaled" by the charges or something along those lines ?

You clearly didn't see the interview. She said she shouldn't comment but he was lovely and she couldn't believe he would do..............'anyway I can't talk about it................ but he's so lovely'...................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between endorsing slimness and liking a picture (that's linked to her twitter) that says 'craving is only a feeling'. It's telling people to ignore their body telling them to eat on the basis of it's just a feeling. That's promoting eating disorders.

If she liked something that was promoting healthy eating and exercise it would be a different response because that's promoting health, she's promoting anorexia.

Indeed, and at least the 'haters' opinions are based on facts, i.e. her public behaviour and her behaviour on social networks. Unless the other poster knows Helen personally I'd be interested to know what he/she bases the assumption that she's a good person with a good heart on.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly didn't see the interview. She said she shouldn't comment but he was lovely and she couldn't believe he would do..............'anyway I can't talk about it................ but he's so lovely'...................

To be fair, Patsy, what the hell was the host doing asking her about him in the first place? And how exactly was she supposed to respond? Slate her for being a dimwit but supporting a man she's known for her entire screen life - and who has not as yet been found guilty of anything btw - is really not a stick to beat her with.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,157
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    To be fair, Patsy, what the hell was the host doing asking her about him in the first place? And how exactly was she supposed to respond? Slate her for being a dimwit but supporting a man she's known for her entire screen life - and who has not as yet been found guilty of anything btw - is really not a stick to beat her with.

Exactly - if legal proceedings are active you are walking a tightrope in what you can ask. Best really to say nothing and do not touch the subject with a ten foot bargepole

And if they ask the question - dodge it with the answer of I would rather not comment on the subject
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She just came across - again - as quite astonishingly stupid, spoilt and laughably delusional. She should be protected, really. She's several sandwiches, a rug, a basket, a flask and a wasp short of a picnic.
    lexi22 wrote: »

I've included my original post for clarity. I wasn't using it as a stick to beat her with; simply pointing out that she once again came across as astonishingly stupid.

His question was something along the lines of, 'it must be very upsetting to see'; the correct response would have been 'that's before the courts and I can't comment on it'. No more.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Exactly - if legal proceedings are active you are walking a tightrope in what you can ask. Best really to say nothing and do not touch the subject with a ten foot bargepole

And if they ask the question - dodge it with the answer of I would rather not comment on the subject
    The show was in the Republic of Ireland though, so I'm not sure how bound by UK laws they are.

Given the questing, I don't know what else Helen, was meant to do.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've included my original post for clarity. I wasn't using it as a stick to beat her with; simply pointing out that she once again came across as astonishingly stupid.

His question was something along the lines of, 'it must be very upsetting to see'; the correct response would have been 'that's before the courts and I can't comment on it'. No more.

Oh come on! We're talking about HF here. If she responded correctly to things, there would be no threads about her in the first place. :D

I'm also sure the host would have known that so the correct thing - the professional thing - would be for him/her to not have brought it up in the first place, knowing that HF's not one to engage brain before speaking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine (unless the host of the show is a monumental tosspot) that whether or not Helen wished the subject of Le Vell to be mentioned and precisely what she could/should say was discussed with her beforehand.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    I would imagine (unless the host of the show is a monumental tosspot) that whether or not Helen wished the subject of Le Vell to be mentioned and precisely what she could/should say was discussed with her beforehand.
    Watch the interview about 30 minutes in on the RTE Player. It's almost if he left it right till the end deliberately, in case she was funny about it.

It wouldn't have been mentioned on a UK show.

http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10117084/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »

It sounded like it was pre-arranged. She just got confused. Bless :o:D

edited to add: She also said during the interview that's she wants to write a book about panic attacks, anxiety, eating disorders, body image and 'stuff'. :D That's gonna be some book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch the interview about 30 minutes in on the RTE Player. It's almost if he left it right till the end deliberately, in case she was funny about it.

It wouldn't have been mentioned on a UK show.

http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10117084/

I'm not in a place where I can watch right now, but if it's as you says that's very much a dick move on his part. I suppose she could have just said 'no comment', but even that could be read as inferring guilt. Not a situation anyone deserves to have sprung upon them.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems to be trying to get attention, the picture of oatcakes and water then 'liking' the pro-Anorexia pic... is she implying she is Anorexic herself?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracy Shaw played Maxine and IIRC she suffered from anorexia but I don't remember her actively 'promoting' it.

Correct, I'm almost certain she never did.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An obviously insecure young woman 'likes' a pro-anorexia picture. Hmmm, how's the best way to handle this?

I know, let's call her a f***ing idiot and keep piling on the pressure. After all, what's the worst that could happen?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An obviously insecure young woman 'likes' a pro-anorexia picture. Hmmm, how's the best way to handle this?

I know, let's call her a f***ing idiot and keep piling on the pressure. After all, what's the worst that could happen?:rolleyes:

In all seriousness (seriously) I was being perfectly honest when I said she needs to be protected. I think those around her are being incredibly irresponsible by not shutting off her computer and pulling her out of the limelight - by the hair extensions if necessary. She's always going to get eaten alive.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, where did you get that from ? :)

The post from KC best sums up why stories about Helen Flanagan catch my interest. It's like the notion of a stupid young girl doing something stupid just doesn't compute - i'm not getting at KC personally at all, because I've seen it from many different posters.

It's just not possible for this thing called "stupidity" to exist apparently, so it's really a carefully thought out and crafted plan to gain exposure and column inches.

So yes, I was facetious, but for no more reason than the merry go round of conspiracy in Showbiz amuses me - nothing more.

Ok, apologies if I'm wrong but I've just always got that vibe from your posts that you're looking down your nose at the rest of us.
    But maybe it's harder to gauge someones true intent in writing. I mean, I am always shocked at how seriously and literally some take my obviously (to me) p*ss taking and tongue in cheek posts.

Maybe I'm just taking you the wrong way :)