IO6 on Iphone 3GS

Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have owned my iphone 3GS for two years and it was new out of the box. It works very well on IOS 5, has anyone tried operating this phone on the new IOS 6 operating system?
I am quite happy with the phone running on IOS 5 but there is an app which I use has recently upgraded and is now only available on devices running with IOS 6. Sadly upgrading to a later handset is not an option at the moment.

Comments

• Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be ok as it leaves out some of the functions of ios6 on the 3GS and 4. So it should run ok.
    If I were you I'd bite the bullet and do it, at least then you can update any apps that require ios6
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    iOS 6 is fine on 3GS. You'll get some new added features than what you already have.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'New iOS 6'? It's been out nearly a year!
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'New iOS 6'? It's been out nearly a year!

Yes I know iOS6 has been out for some time but have been advised by staff in Apple Store that iOS 6 would not work on iPhone 3GS and have decided to get a wider perhaps enlightened opinion
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yes I know iOS6 has been out for some time but have been advised by staff in Apple Store that iOS 6 would not work on iPhone 3GS and have decided to get a wider perhaps enlightened opinion

If Apple staff advised you of that then I'd put in a complaint as they don't know what they're talking about.
    Have you never gone into the phones General Settings and selected Software Update?
    If iOS 6 didn't work then it wouldn't have an available update for you.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ exactly
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe what the meant was the 3GS won't have all the iOS6 features rather than it not working propperly.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also possible that if you asked about "the new iOS", the person in the Apple shop misunderstood and thought you were asking whether the forthcoming iOS7 would be compatible.