F.r.i.e.n.d.s

Comments

• LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan T wrote: »
    Would you liek it to return for a series or one off?

They've been on about a film for a while. The consensus seems to be that it will happen in the next couple of years but they have to wait for everyone to be available to commit.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Joey became far too stupid by the time the show ended - The One Where Joey Speaks French in the final season proved it. Okay, the story was he thought he was speaking french when in fact he was getting it all wrong. It could've been a funny story but they just had him make random noises. And the studio audience loved every second of it which baffled me! It was a tad cringeworthy.

The appearances of guest stars would get extreme whoops and cheers too. We could never really take them seriously as real characters in the Friends world. They more or less should've just said, 'oh we went to school with Brad Pitt and Christina Applegate is my sister'!

Also funny to note, Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon were mentioned in the show and would later guest star. In season 4 Joey and Chandler talk about Die Hard, Bruce Willis appeared in a few episodes in season 6. Not only that, the boys watch Die Hard in season 7 and none of them wonder why Elizabeth's dad is in the movie! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey became far too stupid by the time the show ended - The One Where Joey Speaks French in the final season proved it. Okay, the story was he thought he was speaking french when in fact he was getting it all wrong. It could've been a funny story but they just had him make random noises. And the studio audience loved every second of it which baffled me! It was a tad cringeworthy.

The appearances of guest stars would get extreme whoops and cheers too. We could never really take them seriously as real characters in the Friends world. They more or less should've just said, 'oh we went to school with Brad Pitt and Christina Applegate is my sister'!

Also funny to note, Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon were mentioned in the show and would later guest star. In season 4 Joey and Chandler talk about Die Hard, Bruce Willis appeared in a few episodes in season 6. Not only that, the boys watch Die Hard in season 7 and none of them wonder why Elizabeth's dad is in the movie! :D

Christina Applegate was brilliant though. Possibly my favourite celeb guest of the whole show
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who would have you've chosen for a spin off?

Gunther.
  • Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    They've been on about a film for a while. The consensus seems to be that it will happen in the next couple of years but they have to wait for everyone to be available to commit.

So theere all successful?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So theere all successful?

They've all had their successes. Courteney Cox with the Scream movies and now her own sitcom, Jennifer Aniston appears to have cornered the market in romcoms, Lisa Kudrow was great in The Opposite of Sex and has done other films. The boys have been more low profile- apart from Joey Matt Le Blanc has appeared in some crap films, but he is in a new UK sitcom called Episodes(?) soon on BBC2 and rumour has it that he's v good in it. I always thought he was the best actor (not necessarily comedian) in the show to be honest- to play someone that dumb and play a bad actor and be funny is not easy! Matthew Perry was excellent in Studio 60...why that got cancelled is beyond me. He does mostly writing now and he's got a new sitcom airing in the US soon. David Schwimmer has done several films and theatre shows. He errs towards directing now. He directed Run Fat Boy Run didn't he? That was a good film. He also produced and directed some episodes of Friends.

I'd have loved to have seen a Gunther spin off, or a Richard one. Only cos Richard was lovely! I also had a soft spot for Dr Green. He would crack me up, especially the scenes with Ross.

I did hear Maggie Wheeler turned down the chance to do her own show as Janice.
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Ross is absolutely hilarious in the later seasons. In fact, I think they all are. Friends is one of those rare shows that only got better with time. :)

Totally disagree.

Seasons 2, 3 and 4 were far better in quality and the humour was much more grown up.

Series 5 was the beginning of a long decline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I started to watch friends quite late, from series 4, and love them all, but they are repeated a bit too much now.

My favourites are Ross and Chandler. Ross' facial expressions just crack me up.

Phoebe and Joey were always a bit to thick for my liking.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Was there never a NEW friends member?

Would you have liked that??

Rachel was technically the 'new' member, as she joined the group in the first episode. I don't think an actual new member would have worked though.

I read somewhere that the writers were originally going to have Phoebe and Joey getting together, but then they decided to have the Joey spin-off so brought in Mike. Although I like Mike I would have preferred Phoebe and Joey together, though it would have been a little strange to have all six paired off. Failing that, they probably should have brought Phoebe and David back together.

If they made a film the storyline should be Ross and Rachel getting married.
    Forum Member
    Why didnt any of them join joey on a regular basis?

Are they all rich from friends?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Wiki

In their original contracts for the first season, each cast member was paid $22,500 per episode.[19] The cast members received different salaries in the second season, beginning from the $20,000 range to $40,000 per episode.[19][20] Prior to their salary negotiations for the third season, the cast decided to enter collective negotiations, despite Warner Bros.' preference for individual deals.[21] The actors were given the salary of the least paid cast member, meaning Aniston and Schwimmer had their salaries reduced. The stars were paid $75,000 per episode in season three, $85,000 in season four, $100,000 in season five, $125,000 in season six, $750,000 in seasons seven and eight, and $1 million in seasons nine and ten.[17][22] The cast also received syndication royalties beginning with the fifth season.

So they did well!
    Forum Member
    From Wiki

In their original contracts for the first season, each cast member was paid $22,500 per episode.[19] The cast members received different salaries in the second season, beginning from the $20,000 range to $40,000 per episode.[19][20] Prior to their salary negotiations for the third season, the cast decided to enter collective negotiations, despite Warner Bros.' preference for individual deals.[21] The actors were given the salary of the least paid cast member, meaning Aniston and Schwimmer had their salaries reduced. The stars were paid $75,000 per episode in season three, $85,000 in season four, $100,000 in season five, $125,000 in season six, $750,000 in seasons seven and eight, and $1 million in seasons nine and ten.[17][22] The cast also received syndication royalties beginning with the fifth season.

So they did well!

Why didnt they leave when there pay was reduced?
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did hear Maggie Wheeler turned down the chance to do her own show as Janice.

A wise move. Wiser than the nutter who proposed the idea in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pheobe is the best !! I also love chandler, monica, racheal and Ross, but Joey was definitely the worst character for me..
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    A wise move. Wiser than the nutter who proposed the idea in the first place.

Was she famous or something?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Was she famous or something?

Dunno, but she had a horrible laugh and obviously put on voice.

=

Personally, I thought Scrubs is/was a much better US comedy than Friends, and it doesn't have a (canned) laughter track either. John C. McGinley, IMO, stole the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubs_%28TV_series%29
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

=

Personally, I thought Scrubs is/was a much better US comedy than Friends, and it doesn't have a (canned) laughter track either. John C. McGinley, IMO, stole the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubs_%28TV_series%29

Perry Cox is a legend!

I find with Scrubs that Elliot and JD were soo repeteative when I see it on E4 I actually get confused what series I am watching because there having a break from the relationship for the millionth time.

God I love Turk though, I wanted to sleep with him when he got all buff haha
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason JANICE is has to be in EVERY series?
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Yes, a laugh and a voice that made you feel like your testicles were being rubbed on a cheese grater. Imagine a whole series of that!
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Yes, a laugh and a voice that made you feel like your testicles were being rubbed on a cheese grater. Imagine a whole series of that!

OH MY GOD! :o
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason JANICE is has to be in EVERY series?

Because they are guaranteed an easy laugh from the pavlovian dog like audience.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Because they are guaranteed an easy laugh from the pavlovian dog like audience.

Yeah the audience laugh at anything loudly dont they lol
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More so as the show went on and became lazier and lazier. Joey's stupidity, Monica in the bloody fat suit are two of the worst examples.

Watching the tenth series now, it's embarrassing to listen to the studio audience. They laugh at absolutely everything.

And the 'woooooooo-ing' was mentioned up thread. I have to mute the telly when they do that, it annoys me so much. In series ten, they even do it when Monica & Chandler buy a house! FFS, get a grip!
    Forum Member
    Maybe there was an audio cue

was it live?

how did they do it?
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lisa Kudrow has the beat post-Friends career in terms of quality. Web Therapy, Happy Endings, Kabluey and The Comeback...all great.
This discussion has been closed.