New Freezer - when can I fill it up

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a new freezer and I turned it on about 4pm yesterday on the super freeze that it tells you to before you can start to use it.

I went out for the night, (i'd put an ice cube tray in to see if it was working) and got back and the super freeze light is still on meaning according to the book that its not ready to be filled up with food yet.

The ice cubes are all nice and solid though.

I asked a couple of people whilst I was out how long you had to run it in for, it tells you to let it settle for 3 hours before turning it on which I know is the gases but it could give an idea of how long its going to take before i can fill it up. One person said 12 hours and another said 24.
Stupidly maybe, I've never had just a stand alone freezer I thought I'd be able to use it in a couple of hours just like when you've defrosted the half of a fridge / freezer.
I've got a tesco shop booked in for tomorrow which I've already moved from 11am to 4pm and I would just like to know if anyway has had recent experience with a new freezer and how long it took for that light to go out and if it hasn't will it do any harm to put the food in with it still on after all the ice cubes were fine.

Comments

• PapaLazarou999PapaLazarou999 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    I bought a new freezer and I turned it on about 4pm yesterday on the super freeze that it tells you to before you can start to use it.

I went out for the night, (i'd put an ice cube tray in to see if it was working) and got back and the super freeze light is still on meaning according to the book that its not ready to be filled up with food yet.

The ice cubes are all nice and solid though.

I asked a couple of people whilst I was out how long you had to run it in for, it tells you to let it settle for 3 hours before turning it on which I know is the gases but it could give an idea of how long its going to take before i can fill it up. One person said 12 hours and another said 24.
    Stupidly maybe, I've never had just a stand alone freezer I thought I'd be able to use it in a couple of hours just like when you've defrosted the half of a fridge / freezer.
    I've got a tesco shop booked in for tomorrow which I've already moved from 11am to 4pm and I would just like to know if anyway has had recent experience with a new freezer and how long it took for that light to go out and if it hasn't will it do any harm to put the food in with it still on after all the ice cubes were fine.

You,ll be fine to fill your fridge right now paddysu,youve already given it a good few hours so fill it up to your hearts content!!
    The gases will have settled down by now.
  • BrightSparksBrightSparks Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should always leave a freezer a min of 2 hours after moving it before you turn it on,
    Once its turned on 24 hours and it will be down to a sustained temperature that should be fine.

P.s.
    Its a liquid not a gas, it only turns to a gas after the heat from the cooling process evaporates the liquid into a gas thus taking the heat away to the heat exchanging unit were it cools and turns back to a liquid again only to start its journey to be pumped through the system again ;)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddysu, are you quite sure the super freeze/fast freeze light is meant to go out automatically?

My freezer has green lights to indicate freezer temperature which stop flashing when a particular temperature (say -20) has been reached, and a red alarm light and a bleeper that come on when the temperature of the freezer is too high. However, I think the fast freeze light stays on as long as the button is pushed in and I don't think it goes out automatically. (I can't find the instruction book to make sure of that.)

No doubt different freezers have different indicator lights, but doesn't your freezer have some sorts of lights to show what temperature it's at?

However, if you switched your freezer on at 4 pm yesterday, it should surely be ready to take frozen food by 4 pm this afternoon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys,
    People were viewing the thread last night but noone was answering.
    Its still got the light on but i read in the book that it goes off automatically after 24 hours so I reackon it might just stay on anyway cos its most definately cold when you open it. In fact if it starts to get too hot again I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stop myself going and standing in front of it to cool off.

I realised last night when I got in what I'd done whilst out.
    I'm 40 odd. And when I went out last night with friends there were people of varing age but for some reason it wasn't the person of my age I automatically turned to and asked the question but the couple of women my parents age. Even at this age I seem to think that well my mum would have had to do that so these ones are bound to know they're married with kids my age.
    Well me and this other lady are plenty old enough to have grand kids even and been through several freezers each so why shouldn't we know as well. Theres just that thing about you still ask questions to the people older than you thinking they'll know the answers when its something that is much more their generation of thing like kitchen/cooking stuff that I saw them doing when I was growing up. Computer related I look to the younger ones but household etc and the older lot get the questions.
    That was the first time though I realised I'd been doing that, it would have been sensible enough if i was still 20 but not at 40.
    Maybe its time I grew up a bit! - Note to self, I'm old enough to know better.

BTW: I'm female so wasn't just being sexist.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just got new fridge and freezer too left mine overnight swtiched on and cleaned inside too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect timing - its worked

the lights been on all day and I'm starting to think I might have to reset it or maybe just try unplugging it and starting again. I was trying to work out exactly what time I'd turned it on yesterday so I could tell if the 24 hour automatic cut out worked. I put a couple of slices of bread in there this morning, half hour later they were frozen so I know its working just didn't like this superfreeze light being on all the time as wasn't sure if its using up too much electric apart for anything else.

I worked out from something I'd done on here yesterday that it was around this sort of time that I'd plugged it in so I've been waiting since 4 when my shopping was due to see if it turned itself off and was reading all about how to reset it if not.

Shopping arrived. Its all very well buying groceries online but its only when you see the delivery man struggling up the stairs with about ten carrier bags you suddenly realise, bloody hell I've got to unpack that lot.

The freezer still had its light on. Its in the spare bedroom so I'm in the kitchen sorting all the food out. By now I thought the light should have gone off. So I struggled through sorting out all the food, just about managed to cut up a very slightly defrosted banoffee cheese cake so I can eat it in single slices at a time and the went to go to the bathroom to have a wash, its hot and wet work sorting all that shopping out and my surprise, wow, the lights gone off. The freezer it seems does actually just leave the light on for 24 hours regardless of the fact I could have been using it hours ago. Well why can't the manual just say that.
    At least I can now put everything away and have a nice deserved rest. And eat my very squashed fresh cream scones that I'm sure the delivery man must have stepped on by accident.