Is an out of date passport a valid form of ID?

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't drive and am not happy to carry around my new passport (they cost £72 :eek:) so I carry my old passport with me in case I need ID.

I was refused entry to a bar on Friday as I was not carrying my valid passport.... I thought it was incredibly unreasonable as I did have ID... want to know whether it worth my while complaining??

(I am 28 by the way and by no stretch of the imagination do I look young for my age - I am just short!!)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used mine for a nightclub but maybe the bouncer didn't take any notice of the date on it. I know normally you can't use it as ID if it's out of date.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Most pubs/clubs would just look at your D.O.B. I imagine, not the validity dates of the ID itself. There are always jobsworths though.

What about a Driving Licence or Company ID?

Is there a ID scheme that bars and clubs in your area sign up to? Sometimes there are info posters on the walls.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    When I worked in banking we were not allowed to accept expired passports as proof of ID.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I worked in banking we were not allowed to accept expired passports as proof of ID.
    that's rather more important than getting into a bar though!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How comes??

Just say someone's passport expires and they are not planning to travel again in the immediate future does this mean they have to shell out £72 in order to prove their identity?
    Forum Member
    How comes??

Just say someone's passport expires and they are not planning to travel again in the immediate future does this mean they have to shell out £72 in order to prove their identity?

Birth certificate with other forms of supporting ID was acceptable.

Expired passports were not acceptable. It could be because they are no longer validated after their expiry.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's bloody stupid if it isn't accepted because it clearly is proof. Photographic and documentary evidence of when you were born. The fact that the passport has expired does not alter anything. Bloody ridiculous jobsworth ill thought out pointless rules drive me nuts!!:mad:
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend wasnt allowed in a bar because her passport wasnt valid which i think is stupid its still her!

same with a lad i know he couldnt get in certain places with his out of date passport
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    If an out of date pasport was still valid then what would be the point of an expiry date?

The whole point of the expiry date is that it forces you to update your passport at regular intervals - so that it is relevant and valid.

It would be pretty daft if I was still trying to prove my ID with my first passport which would now be over 25 years old - I have changed a bit.

There are only 2 legal forms if ID for proving identity - a valid passport and a valid driving licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    If an out of date pasport was still valid then what would be the point of an expiry date?

The whole point of the expiry date is that it forces you to update your passport at regular intervals - so that it is relevant and valid.

It would be pretty daft if I was still trying to prove my ID with my first passport which would now be over 25 years old - I have changed a bit.

There are only 2 legal forms if ID for proving identity - a valid passport and a valid driving licence.

I appreciate this, hence me updating my passport in the first place.

However taking into consideration other factors - I wasn't trying to leave the country, merely to prove I am twenty bloody eight years old (:eek:), and the fact the passport isn't even a month out of date I think it was a bit harsh...
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I was able to fly on an internal UK flight with EasyJet using an expired passport as ID. It had expired about 6 months previously. The person on the check-in desk told me they'd accept an expired passport as ID as long as it had expired less than two years ago.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    I was able to fly on an internal UK flight with EasyJet using an expired passport as ID. It had expired about 6 months previously. The person on the check-in desk told me they'd accept an expired passport as ID as long as it had expired less than two years ago.

However, its is not a legal requirement to show a passport for an inetrnal flight - its just the company policy , so they can make up their own rules.

In a club or a bar it is illegal to serve someone under 18 and they risk losing their licene if they do - hence asking for vaild ID.

Personally, I think the doorman could have used his intelligence in regard to the OP - he was either on a power trip or the boss was watching.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I wouldn't go to any bar or club that asks for ID for anyone who is clearly over 20.

I went to a club last week with a friend who writes guide books. It was student night mid-week. I'm 31, my friend is 48. We both look it. Neither of us had ID and only got in because we'd phoned ahead to review the place. The fact that they ID everyone is going down as a big negative in the guide.
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can an expired passport not be used as a valid form of ID?:mad::confused:

Just because it is out of date, it doesnt mean that your date of birth changes - nor the person in the photograph....what a stupid idea!!!:mad:
    Forum Member
    How can an expired passport not be used as a valid form of ID?:mad::confused:

Just because it is out of date, it doesnt mean that your date of birth changes - nor the person in the photograph....what a stupid idea!!!:mad:

I think the point is that it is not valid ........ however I do agree that it's stupid when it comes to just proving your age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course its not valid - it's expired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about colour photo copying your new passport then having it laminated? This works for me as my driving license is the old paper one so my passport is the only photo ID I have and yes, too right I don´t like to carry it around as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it's a minor, in which case a birth certificate is also acceptable.

If a document has expired, it's no longer legally valid for any reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    This is only £12 and is widely recognized.
    http://www.citizencard.com/
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeepKick_ wrote: »

Most pubs/clubs don't accept them. It's only driving licenses and passports.

I once got ID'd for a club and I showed them my expired passport, and they didn't let me in, even though they had many times before! I think it was to do with the picture, when I was 12, I was 20 when I got ID'd.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If an out of date passport is so useless how come that is all you need [plus new pics] for an updated one?

They want no birth data or a ref?
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »

It's not a valid form of ID with which you can travel but why does it stop becoming valid proof of age just because the "travelling validity" has expired?

I can understand pubs/clubs not accepting an out of date passport as valid age ID if it is really old ... my passport went out of date in January (I'm 19) and when I used it as ID (which was rarely as I have my driving licence as my "main" ID) I always got the occasional funny look, but then I got that passport when I was about 13 ... I've changed quite a bit in the last 5/6 years ... but as it wasn't expired it was accepted as valid ID because, as I pointed out, you can still tell it is me and I could provide them with other ID to verify it was my passport etc.

However, now it has expired (and I haven't got round to getting a new one as I know I won't be going abroad for a while so there's no point shelling out £72 for something that is going to sit gathering dust) bars and clubs won't accept it because not only is it no longer "valid" (which they aren't really bothered about) but also the picture is really old, and while they were willing to let that pass when it was valid (as passports are valid ID and as mine was still "valid" they couldn't turn it down as a form of ID) they are more strict when it goes out of date.

Also, one of my friends works in a bar and she is always told to have a glance at the expiry date and decline it as valid ID if it is more than 6 months out of date because once a passport goes out of date, people are more likely to lend it to an under age sibling as there isn't the same consequences if it gets lost/stolen ... and it is easier to get away with "borrowing" an older sibling's passport because it is likely that the picture isn't a recent one and therefore if the siblings have at least some resemblance to each other, people are usually willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if the passport photo doesn't 100% look like the holder due to it being an old photo (like has happened with me in the past)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is not true.
    If you have no passport then how do you get one, if you don't drive?. there must be an alternative ID for proving who you are, to get one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »

As I explained I am 28, and although I am short, I do not look underage!!! Plus the passport is less than a month out of date - as far as they knew i could have still been waiting for the new one to arrive??
    DeepKick_ wrote: »

I just paid £72 for a new passport (which I am not happy to carry about in case I lose it and have to pay £72 for another one) and I refuse to pay another £12 to prove my age.
    spoty wrote: »
    If an out of date passport is so useless how come that is all you need [plus new pics] for an updated one?

They want no birth data or a ref?

Indeed - all I had to send off was my out of date passport and the form - my appearance hasn't changed much so I didn't even need new photo's!! So if the expired passport is sufficient ID to get a new passport why on Earth would a doorman refuse it? Unless I just look dodgy :p
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    OP - could you get (or do you have) a provisional driving licence - would that do the trick? Not sure whether provisional licences are accepted the same as full, but I can't see why they shouldn't as they have the same personal details don't they?