LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Nice for some. Shame we can't all afford it.

Susie, Devon or Dorset are a much better option ..... and no queuing at the airport either! ;)
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Why is it wrong? There are those who agreed with her and even admired her, the same with any former Prime Minister, there were probably those who hated Churchill but he was still paraded around the streets for his full blown state funeral.
    It is wrong because we are up to our ears in debt.
    If they are saying £10 million, you can be sure that the true cost will be £20 million.
    A private funeral with a memorial service later would have been fine, IMO.

Not often I agree with VQ, but I do wholeheartedly on this occasion.

But I think, Twinkle, the callers to JOB this morning were right and the point I made earlier remains true. Churchill was a war leader of a coalition government. He wasn't divisive in the way Thatcher was. PM's do not normally get a ceremonial funeral, and Thatcher shouldn't either.
    Forum Member
    Jesus, JO'B's really going for the customers this morning. Like to see his response if someone got Social Services after him. Pharmacist was out of order, IMO. Since she clearly knew the woman's details, she should have contacted her doctor and asked about the child first. If JO'B can't see that viewpoint, he's just being stupidly obstructive.

Wow - strong language for someone who's admitted that he might feel differently if had happened to him. And given that more than half the callers agree with him.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Wow - strong language for someone who's admitted that he might feel differently if had happened to him. And given that more than half the callers agree with him.

I can understand why the pharmacist was concerned, but in my view, Social Services and the Spanish Inquisition follow pretty much the same policies - if they catch you, they'll never let go. So I'd either have to be extremely worried, to the extent that I thought the child should immediately be taken into care, or I'd exhaust all the other avenues first. As a pharmacist, she could easily have asked the mother for her doctor's contact number with the excuse that she needed to check the drugs that the baby was already on. Job done in 5 minutes, everyone happy.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I caught 20 minutes of NF the other morning.
    20 minutes of a Thatcher love-in, coupled with some BBC bashing.
    I turned off.
    Maybe he'll be better after tomorrow.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Not often I agree with VQ, but I do wholeheartedly on this occasion.

But I think, Twinkle, the callers to JOB this morning were right and the point I made earlier remains true. Churchill was a war leader of a coalition government. He wasn't divisive in the way Thatcher was. PM's do not normally get a ceremonial funeral, and Thatcher shouldn't either.

Churchill lead a national unity government during the war and so represented the whole of the country. Thatcher was not a national figure in the same way and probably more than any Prime Minister in recent memory, mainly represented her party and supporters. The comparison with Churchill diminshes his contribution to this country.
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Churchill lead a national unity government during the war and so represented the whole of the country. Thatcher was not a national figure in the same way and probably more than any Prime Minister in recent memory, mainly represented her party and supporters. The comparison with Churchill diminshes his contribution to this country.

Absolutely agree.
    Churchill's funeral was a one off for a PM in living memory (or longer).
    Now that Mrs T is being given largely the same honour makes Churchill's funeral no longer unique.

Found this interesting as I consider the Thatcher/Attlee comparison much more valid than the Thatcher/Churchill one.

CLEMENT ATTLEE -

Rebuilt Britain after WWII
    Created the NHS
    Achieved full employment
    Built 1 million new homes
    Built over 1000 new schools
    Employed 25,000 new teachers
    Ended the exploitation of worker in many industries through fair-wage and employment-conditions legislation
    Introduced:
    child benefit
    invalidity benifit
    social security
    sickness pay
    maternity pay

MARGARET THATCHER -

Record levels of unemployment
    British manufacturing capacity halved.
    Hospitals closed
    Hundreds of schools closed
    Deregulated the financial sector
    Introduced the Poll Tax
    Increased VAT from 8% to 17.5%
    Depleated Britains social housing stock
    Supported to Apparteid regime in South Africa
    Called Nelson Mandela 'that grubby little terrorist'
    Harboured Chillian fascist leader Augusto Pinochet
    Abolished free milk for primary school children
    Covered up the polices role in the Hillsborough disaster
    Biggest transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich in British history

Attlee of course was buried quietly and with llittle fuss.
    Forum Member
    I can understand why the pharmacist was concerned, but in my view, Social Services and the Spanish Inquisition follow pretty much the same policies - if they catch you, they'll never let go. So I'd either have to be extremely worried, to the extent that I thought the child should immediately be taken into care, or I'd exhaust all the other avenues first. As a pharmacist, she could easily have asked the mother for her doctor's contact number with the excuse that she needed to check the drugs that the baby was already on. Job done in 5 minutes, everyone happy.

Those views on social services are very strong, and I don't agree with them.

I also don't think the pharmacist would have got very far phoning the doctor. Rules of confidentiality and all that. As JOB said this morning - what's the alternative? The kind of society where we all walk on by (or get out our phones and film stuff, but don't intervene)?

I think it's a rare event, and I think on this occasion it sounded serious enough for the pharmacist to act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be entering a flotation tank tomorrow at 7am....should resurface 12 hrs later...
    Forum Member
    Will be entering a flotation tank tomorrow at 7am....should resurface 12 hrs later...

Fortunately, I'll be working without the chance to hear any media. Hooray!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I first on this new chapter?! (after DS admin of course!).

I don't think you get a prize for being first, Martin. :)
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you get a prize for being first, Martin. :)

oh :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guiser wrote: »
    Absolutely agree.
    Now that Mrs T is being given largely the same honour makes Churchill's funeral no longer unique.

Found this interesting as I consider the Thatcher/Attlee comparison much more valid than the Thatcher/Churchill one.

CLEMENT ATTLEE -

Created the NHS
    Achieved full employment
    Ended the exploitation of worker in many industries through fair-wage and employment-conditions legislation
    Introduced:
    child benefit
    invalidity benifit
    social security
    sickness pay
    maternity pay

MARGARET THATCHER -

Hospitals closed
    Introduced the Poll Tax

If Churchill hadn't been there to see us through the war, there wouldn't have been PMs Attlee or Thatcher.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Richard Bacon was the bottom of the barrel till I heard JHB, now I listen to him most afternoons through gritted teeth but at least I don't hurl the radio out of the window.

Like Ferarri this morning, she was still judging everyone by their social status, benefits and parenthood. She really is the pits. How dare she blame welfare for the deaths of six innocent children and a rough-sleeper in a shop doorway, as if no child of middle-class parents ever did anything wrong; what happened to just having horrible, wicked people?

Then she pontificates about fourteen year olds being responsible for their own actions and being old enough to decide what they do has consequences. But, it appears, that is only for children who have no father around and a mother on benefits. Not twenty-one year old middle class students, who are seemingly not old enough to work out the dangers of agreeing to having an uncover reporter accompany them on a trip to North Korea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely agree.

CLEMENT ATTLEE -

Created the NHS
    Achieved full employment
    Introduced:
    child benefit
    invalidity benifit
    social security
    sickness pay
    maternity pay

MARGARET THATCHER -

Hospitals closed
    Introduced the Poll Tax

So Clem's the one to blame for dishing out all the benefits willy nilly! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree.

CLEMENT ATTLEE -

Created the NHS
    Achieved full employment
    Introduced:
    child benefit
    invalidity benifit
    social security
    sickness pay
    maternity pay

MARGARET THATCHER -

Hospitals closed
    Introduced the Poll Tax

OUTSTANDING POST.:p

This outpouring of hype will backfire...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is wrong because we are up to our ears in debt.
    If they are saying £10 million, you can be sure that the true cost will be £20 million.
    A private funeral with a memorial service later would have been fine, IMO.

Mark Thatcher could have paid this and had change in his bank account.
    Tomorrow will be ID NF DM...So pointless me listening as it will be the rewriting of history and sickening memories of all three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Churchill hadn't been there to see us through the war, there wouldn't have been PMs Attlee or Thatcher.

I agree, which is why I argue that Mrs Thatcher should not be given the same type of funeral as Churchill as it diminishes (to borrow clitheroe 1's word) Churchill by rendering him no longer unique.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Thatcher could have paid this and had change in his bank account.

Maybe he's saving up for another helicopter

;)
    Forum Member
    Maybe he's saving up for another helicopter

;)

Or a coup...
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic from J O'B this morning. Nobody is having to challenge his politics or ideologies but he still sounds aggressive when somebody offers an alternative view. I think it's become a mannerism, but he should try and cultivate a more reasonable response to people who aren't actually arguing with him.

I think that missing out on broadcasting the Thatcher news to LBC listeners is taking it's toll on JOB. Hope he has a day at home in Chiswick being smug, pompous and irritable so he gets this out of his system.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er......Has the LBC 97.3 Politics Thread been closed? :confused:

Just asking.:)
  • HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politics seems to be fine here as long as the message is short. So here is my short message:

Thatcher is their God of Greed. All must bow down. Silencing Big Ben is indeed very symbolic, it is an attempt to elevate her legacy into legend. It will not work but you can't blame 'em for trying. I bet we get an annual Thatcher Day out of this too.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »

I always think it amusing when people label Thatcher as 'divisive' as if she was unique in that. Of course she was if you disagreed with her! As is every single Prime Minister we've ever had, except possibly Churchill during the War.
    Before that of course during his long career he was very 'divisive' and very unpopular in some parts of the country.
    So people have a pop at Thatcher than Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Blair or Brown, who of course weren't divisive at all as everybody agreed with all they did.:confused:
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »
    Politics seems to be fine here as long as the message is short. So here is my short message:

Thatcher is their God of Greed. All must bow down. Silencing Big Ben is indeed very symbolic, it is an attempt to elevate her legacy into legend. It will not work but you can't blame 'em for trying. I bet we get an annual Thatcher Day out of this too.

You really think there will be a Thatcher Day?? I'm sure Ferrari will have such a day tomorrow as he salutes a signed picture of Maggie (and Rupert Murdoch) before going on air.
This discussion has been closed.