Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this on itvPlayer after broadcast and I've got to say Selfridge is the most boring character in it! I thought it had upped tempo a bit last week and I found it reasonably interesting, but the storylines aren't gripping me at all.

I like Agnes but the story with her dad is rather brain numbing. And the other story with her brother loading up the truck that goes off elsewhere, I just don't care that they're nicking stuff and don't care if they don't get found out. I also hope Agnes doesn't end up with Victor who seems to be merrily doing the rounds of the rich female diners!

Same with the woman who is sleeping with the gingery fellow. It's all a bit ho hum. I have to say though I'm glad I'm not the only person who's rather partial to violet creams! Yum! :)

I felt a bit sorry for Miss Whatever who had stuffed lace into her hem but that story came from nowhere, unless there was a build up last week that I missed. In fact it wasn't even a story just a moment and suddenly she was gone and we had another woman in her place who wore dresses above the ankle! :eek: Whatever next...
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given up on this now.

There's a complete lack of any interesting plot. Started watching last night's episode on my PVR today and ended up doing some cleaning after 20 minutes as housework is more stimulating than this tripe!
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I wish this would concentrate more on the store and less on Selfridge himself (I know it's called Mr Selfridge, not Selfridges, but I find the history of the department store far more interesting than Selfridge and his family).
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I dunno. Think Mrs S is getting more interesting, and, despite being dumped, the way she walked off last night something tells me we ain't seen the last of Fancy Pants Ms Love either. I'm rooting for the lasses in this show!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just that Mr Selfridge is a bit manic. Him I mean, the way Jeremy Piven plays him. My girlfriend has got the book so I think I'll read it and see if they have stuck to it much or not. I've looked at the pictures though and Jezza Piven doesn't look a lot like Mr Selfridge, too young.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just that Mr Selfridge is a bit manic. Him I mean, the way Jeremy Piven plays him. My girlfriend has got the book so I think I'll read it and see if they have stuck to it much or not. I've looked at the pictures though and Jezza Piven doesn't look a lot like Mr Selfridge, too young.

he wears me out with his energy but in a good way:D i think he's gorgeous:D
    glad he ditched ellen love:D about time!!:rolleyes:
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on I-Player.... another OK episode, bit more lively than the previous episode as there was many story lines going on at the same time. And next week's looks to be a bit more explosive. I do like how the programme shows when certain 'new ideas' are touted for the first time are the same one that we take for granted today, i.e. having clothing in all sizes. The look of horror on that man's face at the suggestion was funny. :D

What a contrast of Miss Love; she was the darling of the store, all adored by men other than just Mr Selfridge and by women who admired her beauty, but in that last scene she looked like she had just woken up or punched herself in her face.

Does anyone know if any filming took place in or outside the real store itself?
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,142
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Just watched this on I-Player.... another OK episode, bit more lively than the previous episode as there was many story lines going on at the same time. And next week's looks to be a bit more explosive. I do like how the programme shows when certain 'new ideas' are touted for the first time are the same one that we take for granted today, i.e. having clothing in all sizes. The look of horror on that man's face at the suggestion was funny. :D

What a contrast of Miss Love; she was the darling of the store, all adored by men other than just Mr Selfridge and by women who admired her beauty, but in that last scene she looked like she had just woken up or punched herself in her face.

Apparently it was filmed in Neasdon, where a mock up of the original Selfridges has been built.
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I have watched all four episodes so far. I am hooked on costume drama, love Edwardian era, so will watch no matter what.

I am American and still wishing for an all-British cast, as the Americans are always too loud and obnoxious, always portrayed that way and probably was true. JP,s character is that cliche brash American and quite grating.

Overall, it is okay, though Paradise seemed classier, in a way, probably thank to EE as Moray.

Not crazy about the Love character, but wondering what she will pull next.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    I watched this on itvPlayer after broadcast and I've got to say Selfridge is the most boring character in it! I thought it had upped tempo a bit last week and I found it reasonably interesting, but the storylines aren't gripping me at all.

I like Agnes but the story with her dad is rather brain numbing. And the other story with her brother loading up the truck that goes off elsewhere, I just don't care that they're nicking stuff and don't care if they don't get found out. I also hope Agnes doesn't end up with Victor who seems to be merrily doing the rounds of the rich female diners!

Same with the woman who is sleeping with the gingery fellow. It's all a bit ho hum. I have to say though I'm glad I'm not the only person who's rather partial to violet creams! Yum! :)

I felt a bit sorry for Miss Whatever who had stuffed lace into her hem but that story came from nowhere, unless there was a build up last week that I missed. In fact it wasn't even a story just a moment and suddenly she was gone and we had another woman in her place who wore dresses above the ankle! :eek: Whatever next...

BIB - I just caught up with last Sunday's episode and am now finding it bizarrely compulsive car crash television. It would appear, yet again, that nobody on the production team has any idea of how to tell a story. Last week we had Agnes clashing with her dad, then he vanished ... and this week we had the woman from Prisoners' Wives stealing material, getting the sack - then nothing happened. Surely we should want to know why she was stealing, who dobbed her in and what it was all about in the first place ... and instead we had nothing.

The pre-title sequence, well established in US series and now a common feature of their British counterparts, is there to draw in the viewer and create intrigue about the coming hour - not throw a random moment in that has little or no bearing on what follows. (I'm guessing there may be a thematic connection given that Agnes' brother is obviously being hoodwinked into helping stock disappear from the store - something telegraphed early on - but, if that's the case, follow it through).

Similarly, the end of the previous episode, which set up a triangle between Agnes and her two admirers, just disappeared. I've seen a more coherent narrative on Hollyoaks. And that's saying something.

Considering how much money has been spent on this, it's shocking. Or was everyone at ITV so smug that they had a hit on their hands that they didn't bother looking at the scripts? (Let alone Piven's ridiculous impersonation of a windmill on acid ...) :eek:
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I thought I must have missed an episode re:the stealing incident. That came out of nowhere.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this series a one-off i.e. telling the complete story or is it returning for a second series?
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this series a one-off i.e. telling the complete story or is it returning for a second series?

Read in the paper today that a second series is being planned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read in the paper today that a second series is being planned.

I suppose itv think that if The Paradise can get a second series so can Mr S. So they will drag out the who might Agnes choose for the rest of the series although I hope she pursues Henri and not Victor.
  • Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Did they really think using make-up was disreputable or scandulous at that time? :eek:

Yes they did think only 'tarts' wore make-up it was not for nice girls-

My own mum in 1943 was not allowed to wear make up as it was seen to be prpoper- but it was served over the counter then.

I have worked in a Store for 25 years and My Floor Manager walks the floor every morning to make sure all is tidy ( including us) and opens the door himself before saying out loud to US ' Are we ready Ladies & Gentleman'
    standards - it looks good. ;)
    Forum Member
    Mr. Selfridge, was a gambler but NOT a womaniser UNTIL his Wife Rose died in 1919 in the great Influenza outbreak. His Mother died in 1924.

so they have made up his dalliances- although he did have a fling with Pavalova- Duncan- & Dolly Sisters.

Selfridges has an article on him on their webcite and in their store.

I love the series and I love the Store.. my fave store is Fortnum & Mason and they were started by two friends selling Candles! go figure :)
    Forum Member
    bebecat wrote: »
    I have watched all four episodes so far. I am hooked on costume drama, love Edwardian era, so will watch no matter what.

I am American and still wishing for an all-British cast, as the Americans are always too loud and obnoxious, always portrayed that way and probably was true. JP,s character is that cliche brash American and quite grating.

Overall, it is okay, though Paradise seemed classier, in a way, probably thank to EE as Moray.

Not crazy about the Love character, but wondering what she will pull next.

But Mr. Selfridge was an American and if you read about him brash and lively- so he has it right.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »

No it was recorded elsewhere in London
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Dawn Sun wrote: »

Yup your post nicely sums up my thoughts on this rubbish prog!

Is it written aimed at the older generation? I can't imagine what the target audience is but the fact rubbish actor Piven speaks the way he does is making me think it's done for dead and older people who aren't used to american accents as much as us youngers in our forties!
  • trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Piven is very attractive and has a terribly charming air, and gives good energy and bluster.....but he doesn't do the small moments very well.

Every time he looks at his wife he looks at her so FULL ON MELTY EYED that I half expect him to burst into song!

Mind you, all of the performences are a bit stagey, so maybe its unfair to pick on him. Miss Lonely Heart quivers so violently I can't imagine what Ginger sees in her, Ellen Love is portraying her downward spiral by mainly making her face all manic and twitchy, and the shop floor staff are doing Cockney Bitchiness 101.

I do think the French lad is good though. And actually the mousy pretty one with the Panto Villain Dad is giving a nice little quiet performance. Those two are the best, for me. Oh and Katherine Kelly, who is waaaay too smirky but is at least fun to watch!
  • bill luvs t.vbill luvs t.v Posts: 1,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is not loved in here but i love the show and can't wait for tonights episode, i also think Jeremy Piven is made for the part and is extremely charismatic it stepped up a gear last week and can't wait to see what happens with Mrs Selfridge as i have always found Frances O'Connor a very good and interesting actress. I agree with other people on here though that Agnes is the most convincing character and hope she goes for Henri over Victor but she probably won't silly girl ha.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it is not loved in here but i love the show and can't wait for tonights episode, i also think Jeremy Piven is made for the part and is extremely charismatic it stepped up a gear last week and can't wait to see what happens with Mrs Selfridge as i have always found Frances O'Connor a very good and interesting actress. I agree with other people on here though that Agnes is the most convincing character and hope she goes for Henri over Victor but she probably won't silly girl ha.

victor i find creepy,:o henri is lovely though:D no contest!!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For people who are a bit taken with Gregory Fitoussi (Henri), he can be seen in series 4 of the French crime drama, Spiral, starting from next Sat on BBC4. He plays a lawyer in that. It's a fantastic show.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry's suspicious nature is going to bite him on the backside here.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phebes4361 wrote: »
    But Mr. Selfridge was an American and if you read about him brash and lively- so he has it right.

But that's all he ever does: Mr Brash and Lively Full Stop.
    trio1 wrote: »
    Piven is very attractive and has a terribly charming air, and gives good energy and bluster.....but he doesn't do the small moments very well.

Every time he looks at his wife he looks at her so FULL ON MELTY EYED that I half expect him to burst into song!

Mind you, all of the performences are a bit stagey, so maybe its unfair to pick on him. Miss Lonely Heart quivers so violently I can't imagine what Ginger sees in her, Ellen Love is portraying her downward spiral by mainly making her face all manic and twitchy, and the shop floor staff are doing Cockney Bitchiness 101.

I do think the French lad is good though. And actually the mousy pretty one with the Panto Villain Dad is giving a nice little quiet performance. Those two are the best, for me. Oh and Katherine Kelly, who is waaaay too smirky but is at least fun to watch!

Yeah, I agree with you, especially the BIB. Put it so well.

I can't remember most of the secondary characters' names either except Mr Leclair, Agnes and Lady Mae, and that's only because they play their parts so well.

Still, Mr Selfridge is fun to watch. I can't take it that seriously anymore.