Free Infinity Upgrade - read before agreeing with BT!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
Forum Member
I was called by BT at the beginning of Feb as my cheap unlimited broadband and calls package had come to and end (£15.80/month) There was an offer of a broadband package for about the same cost, but after a bit of discussion I agreed to upgrade to Infinity 40Mb limit for and additional £7.35/month. The day after it was installed I got a letter from BT stating they were upgrading the area to Infinity at no extra cost and there would be no change to my existing contract and the price I pay would remain the same. So, if I had chosen the broadband package rather than infinity, I would now be paying at least £7.35 less than I am now, or more if I had downgraded to 40Mb broadband (as I have only been using about 20Mb/month). So if your contract is about to end be careful. Been on the phone to them for about and hour and a half now. Finally spoke to the customer options team who basically said tough shit!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've learnt not to take anything they say as reliable. If I could get out of my contract now I would, purely based on the service and experience I've had with them since agreeing to take Infinity.

They've been promising to ring me back for the last 3 weeks. I've given up ringing them as I have to go through the same process each time, since I'm never allowed to speak to the same person twice.

My last attempt lasted 45 minutes (including the time for them to transfer me from the numpties in India or wherever it is the main number is outsourced to, to customer options).

The person I spoke with said he had now escalated my issue as an official complaint and that the process meant they would get back to me.

I'm still waiting, lol.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubmuffin wrote: »
    I was called by BT at the beginning of Feb as my cheap unlimited broadband and calls package had come to and end (£15.80/month) There was an offer of a broadband package for about the same cost, but after a bit of discussion I agreed to upgrade to Infinity 40Mb limit for and additional £7.35/month. The day after it was installed I got a letter from BT stating they were upgrading the area to Infinity at no extra cost and there would be no change to my existing contract and the price I pay would remain the same. So, if I had chosen the broadband package rather than infinity, I would now be paying at least £7.35 less than I am now, or more if I had downgraded to 40Mb broadband (as I have only been using about 20Mb/month). So if your contract is about to end be careful. Been on the phone to them for about and hour and a half now. Finally spoke to the customer options team who basically said tough shit!

You've been unlucky. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd ring the dedicated number on the letter to see if you can swing anything.
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    @dubmuffin These so called "Upgrade to infinity for no extra cost" letters are sent out by a 3rd party and not from BT, they are made to look like they have come from BT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @dubmuffin These so called "Upgrade to infinity for no extra cost" letters are sent out by a 3rd party and not from BT, they are made to look like they have come from BT.

Pardon?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    You've been unlucky. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd ring the dedicated number on the letter to see if you can swing anything.

Haha - do you work in customer options? - sounds like it;)
    The number on the letter was my first contact, that lead me to billing in India, then cut off (as has happened before when I end up there), billings again, then customer options.

I'm aggreived and want to warn anyone else who has an Infinity enabled exchange but hasn't upgraded yet.
    Forum Member
    Definity BT
    Forum Member
    The web address leads here:
    https://www.vouchers.bt.com/promo/infinityupgrade?s_cid=con_FURL_infinity-upgrade

Unlucky maybe, but one previously happy customer now disgruntled enough to post here. I've always stuck up for BT despite the irritating phone support
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha - do you work in customer options? - sounds like it;)
    The number on the letter was my first contact, that lead me to billing in India, then cut off (as has happened before when I end up there), billings again, then customer options.

I'm aggreived and want to warn anyone else who has an Infinity enabled exchange but hasn't upgraded yet.

Ha ha ha! Fair enough. And no, I don't work for BT. I only know about the offer because I got both the letter and the deal too.
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! Fair enough. And no, I don't work for BT. I only know about the offer because I got both the letter and the deal too.

I hope you were on a newly signed up super cheap contract when you upgraded:)
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you got what you paid for, bad timing means there's now a better deal which you can't get. As BT,may or may not have said, tough sh*t.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you were on a newly signed up super cheap contract when you upgraded:)

3 months into an Unlimited BB contract. But I won't tell you what I'm paying, as that would only P you off. But a good warning you've posted for others to watch out for.