How do I use the SD card instead of the phone memory ?

James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
Forum Member
Hi all

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5770 with a 32GB SD card.

The problem is, everytime I try to download a game (via 'Play Store'), the internal memory is used instead of the SD card. I've now got insufficient memory internally but the SD card is completely free.

Are there any simple step by step instructions to make the phone use the SD card instead of the internal memory ? - I've tried searching and it seems nearly every info out there is different and rather complicated for a novice like me.

Is there no 'one' universal set instruction on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    what os does this phone have with later versions of android you can't use the sd card for apps only for storage e.g. mp3s, movies, photos.

Some apps have never been capable of sitting on an external sd anyway.
  • James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    what os does this phone have with later versions of android you can't use the sd card for apps only for storage e.g. mp3s, movies, photos.

Some apps have never been capable of sitting on an external sd anyway.

The Android version is 2.2.1
    Forum Member
    easiest thing try installing apps2sd from the play store that will tell you if you can move any games to the sd card, maybe called AppMgr III now.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there ironically is an app called something like app2sd which possibly can move some apps but not all.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, guys. And I've installed App2sd but the option of moving games to the sd card in in grey (i.e. it can't be selected).

And funnily enough, App2sd has automatically been saved on the card rather than on the phone. Why can't it be done with everything else ?

Very strange and frustrating.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. And I've installed App2sd but the option of moving games to the sd card in in grey (i.e. it can't be selected).

And funnily enough, App2sd has automatically been saved on the card rather than on the phone. Why can't it be done with everything else ?

Very strange and frustrating.

Google allows developers to choose whether or not to allow their apps to be installed to an external memory card.

There are also a bunch of technical reasons why certain types of apps cannot be installed on memory cards due to the way Android handles external memory cards.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Roush.

And do you know which phone would accept any applications (games included), to the external sd card ?

I'm thinking maybe it's time to stay away from Android.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no phones that will allow any app to be moved it doesn't work that way. You need a phone with a bigger internal memory and more updated version of Android. 2.2.1 is very very old. A Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 might suit you, it's in the budget range of around £150, has not bad internal memory and comes with Android 2.3.6 however an update to 4.1.2 is on the way.
    Forum Member
    The problem is the galxy mini only has I think 160mb of internal storage so you will be very limited with games even if you could utilise the sd card.

Any new phone you buy will not have the option to install games to the sd card so you need one with a bigger internal memory e.g. 16gb.

Nothing to do with android itself and many phones don't have the option to have an sd card full stop.

I am surprised you can't move anything to the sd card though still being on froyo but as mentioned some apps can't use sd at all.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Roush.

And do you know which phone would accept any applications (games included), to the external sd card ?

It's not an android problem. It's your phone which has a poor amount of internal memory. The same would occur on Windows or iOS if your phone has a low amount of memory.

You can get phones with more than 4GB memory from as little as £79.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Have you formatted the memory card in the phones settings?
    Forum Member
    Have you formatted the memory card in the phones settings?

Yes and still no joy. And thanks to the others for the info; much appreciated. I guess it's probably time to upgrade to another phone. Also, would the SD card I've already got, work with other makes and models ? I just hope it hasn't been a waste of money, that's all.

And as an example, I remember using a 2GB card (that came with the phone) in a Nokia 6300, lol.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a micro sd then most probably yeah.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the reason if not the main reason, why i dislike phones that uses sd cards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    one of the reason if not the main reason, why i dislike phones that uses sd cards

It's been agreed on this thread already that the issue the OP is having is two-fold.

1) Regardless of the phone, some apps don't go on to an SD card.

2) The phone in the case of the OP, has a very small storage space. In other words, if he had a phone with more storage, then this thread probably wouldn't exist.

Your dislike of SD cards sounds pretty weird to be honest, that's two threads you've made comments regarding it and you've made no sense in either of them.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no phones that will allow any app to be moved it doesn't work that way. You need a phone with a bigger internal memory and more updated version of Android. 2.2.1 is very very old. A Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 might suit you, it's in the budget range of around £150, has not bad internal memory and comes with Android 2.3.6 however an update to 4.1.2 is on the way.

I've moved a few of my apps from my phone internal storage to an SD card :confused:
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one who's having this problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    The Android version is 2.2.1

If your phone is a 5570 (can't find a 5770) then you should be able to upgrade to Android 2.3 which might help you out.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Roush.

But which other phone OS would you use? Neither iOS or Windows Phone 8 allow you to put apps on the SD card either...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    I've moved a few of my apps from my phone internal storage to an SD card :confused:

What I was saying is not ALL apps can be moved. I should've worded it better but what I meant was you can't move just any app as some apps don't allow it.
  • jezzerjezzer Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god for threads like this,The mrs will be upgrading her phone next week so thats one thing she needs to know when looking at phones she will need a phone with a big memory if you cant put all games to SD card.