Gimme Gimme Gimme. Was it really that bad?!

Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
Forum Member
✭✭✭
kathy burke is always so negative about it!
i thought it was loved by everyone!
this video was from about 10 years ago (cant believe its been that long :eek:) but again it pretty much shows kathy claiming nobody liked the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=huayAma6y0Y

the most recent time was when she was interviewed on the paul o grady show and he asked about 'gimme' and she sort of scoffed at it!
its her best show!!!

Comments

• gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme' - stupid but funny...
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Gimme, Gimme, Gimme was great
  • slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awful show
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie was fantastic! I think she meant that not alot of so called TV Experts/critics liked it but it did have a good fanbase. Would love it to return.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I liked it at the time. I couldn't imagine sitting down to watch reruns of it now.

It was purposely outrageous and over the top. It took the p out of itself and you pretty much knew what you were going to get so not sure why she is dismissive of it now.
  • Chrisca50Chrisca50 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Loved the characters, loved the show
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Harvey who wrote Gimme Gimme Gimme has been writing some of the best & funniest episodes for Coronation Street for the past few years.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Linda La Hughes was the Samantha Brick of her day...
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    I liked 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme' - stupid but funny...
    Yeah is was stupid but Very funny:D
    I'd like to see this make a comeback at somepoint (even if only for a one-off special)
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved the show. Alleged clashes of egos, well one mainly, brought the show to an end. Happy to be corrected on this.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" was a brilliant comedy show, one of the best the BBC offered in a long time!

Maybe it's because the show was purposely low-brow, focusing on physical comedy, stereotypes and swearing that Kathy Burke doesn't look fondly on it? She might see it as her weaker work, even though many of the jokes were multi-dimensional at times! :)

We can all be our own worst critics at times! She went into Drama recently in her career, right? Maybe the more serious drama-type actors have rubbed off on her?
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Linda La Hughes was the Samantha Brick of her day...

'Linda I don't know what you see when you look in the mirror, but it aint what the rest of the world sees' Linda looks in the mirror, 'I'm fine?!' and waddles out!

I really liked it at the time, and love it even more as an adult, especially the episode which had the second appearance of Sugar Walls. I thought the ending of the series was quite sad though!
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    littlefro wrote: »
    Absolutely loved the show. Alleged clashes of egos, well one mainly, brought the show to an end. Happy to be corrected on this.

I didnt know this, was it the tom.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    It was pretty good from what I remember, brilliant choice of sitcoms in the 90s.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was a really good show, its still funny now when ever i catch a repeat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite sitcoms. The only people that seem to hate it are comedy snobs.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this show. I have all the DVD's.
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote: »
    xmel05 wrote: »
    I didnt know this, was it the tom.

When the Bette Midler sitcom in America he was acting in was cancelled or James was sacked from (a while back and I can't remember which) James was then available for GGG. Easy to think he might have had delusions of grandeur, but apparently he wasn't that type of actor. So, what if another ego decided they wanted more and funnier lines, and the rapport no longer worked. :cool:

Happy to be better informed on this. :)
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good show, I've got the boxset and I do enjoy watching it. I didn't know Kathy felt that way about the show though.

Miss Twitch is Cora Cross in Eastenders! :p
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved Gimme Gimme Gimme. Still watch it on dvd quite a lot and it still makes me laugh :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it and have the DVDs but the last series was disappointing imo
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I thought it was a good show, I've got the boxset and I do enjoy watching it. I didn't know Kathy felt that way about the show though.

Miss Twitch is Cora Cross in Eastenders! :p[/QUOTE]

OMG Is that her???? Brilliant, I did always wonder
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    kathy burke is always so negative about it!
    i thought it was loved by everyone!
    this video was from about 10 years ago (cant believe its been that long :eek:) but again it pretty much shows kathy claiming nobody liked the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=huayAma6y0Y

the most recent time was when she was interviewed on the paul o grady show and he asked about 'gimme' and she sort of scoffed at it!
    its her best show!!!

She may have had a change of heart.

I watched a very in-depth interview with her on Sky Arts last week. She stated she looked back at her comedy work with affection now and accepts she was a bit "funny" about it before.
    She mentioned GGG and Waynetta Slob - basically that who gives a shit about the critics, it's the audience that matter.

It may be repeated - its worth watching.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »

OMG Is that her???? Brilliant, I did always wonder

Yep! Every time she's in a scene in Eastenders I always picture her in that awful wedding dress twitching away :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.