Xperia U - Gingerbread, or ICS?

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Getting a replacement Xperia U this week as my current one is faulty. Feels slow and laggy on ICS so I might stay on Gingerbread out of the box.

Anyone else agree? Anything I'll miss out on without upgrading?

Comments

• November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    This might give you an idea of what you'll be missing out on.

http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

I presume you were using the "stock" version of ICS?
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GINGERBREAD!!!!!!!!!
    I HATE my phone on ICS. So slow and apart from aesthetically (sp?) no advantage. Whatever made Sony think the U would be OK on ICS I will never know. If I had the confidence to try rooting the phone, I would in a heartbeat.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is stock version of ICS and it was much slower than Gingerbread, so when I get my new one I don't think I'll bother upgrading.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    The Xperia U has recently had an update to the ICS build but it's my dad's phone so I only play with it briefly. Either way it's slow (I'm using a Nexus 4) but with only 512MB of RAM it was never going to fly (with respect to things like multi tasking).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xperia U has recently had an update to the ICS build but it's my dad's phone so I only play with it briefly. Either way it's slow (I'm using a Nexus 4) but with only 512MB of RAM it was never going to fly (with respect to things like multi tasking).

512MB of RAM is quite a lot for a smart phone.

ICS really screwed with the Xperia U. On Gingerbread it flew through menu's and apps with no lag at all.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with the above - stay with gingerbread - ICS is slow and laggy.
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »

ICS really screwed with the Xperia U. On Gingerbread it flew through menu's and apps with no lag at all.
    No, 2GB is quite a lot, 512MB is really pushing it. I'll be honest, Android isn't very efficient when it comes down to the nitty gritty. ICS simply demands more than GB (think XP versus W7) but do you really want to use an OS version dated from 2 years+ ago?
    Having said that, I very much agree that Sony has totally buggered up with the updates. When I installed a custom ROM on my Galaxy S it was completely fine, the browser was far smoother etc.
    Forum Member
    but do you really want to use an OS version dated from 2 years+ ago?

Don't see why not? Better Gingerbread than a laggy ICS
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Don't see why not? Better Gingerbread than a laggy ICS
    ICS isn't laggy, the trouble is Sony's implementation of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ICS isn't laggy, the trouble is Sony's implementation of it.

It might not be laggy in general, but on the Xperia U it is. It should never have been released for the U as the handset loses it's power.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member

It's quite possible to run ICS (and Jelly Bean) with 512MB. The difficulty is that Sony choose the Mali-400 GPU which is not very memory efficient and so reduces the amount of free RAM.

If it's not important to you, then turning off Facebook integration; using a lighter launcher (Nova launcher) and managing what apps automatically start at boot up will make a huge difference.

By default Sony has things like Music Unlimited start automatically, which eats up RAM.

If Sony has given it 768MB (like the Galaxy Ace 2), then none of this would have been necessary.
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    It's quite possible to run ICS (and Jelly Bean) with 512MB. The difficulty is that Sony choose the Mali-400 GPU which is not very memory efficient and so reduces the amount of free RAM.

If it's not important to you, then turning off Facebook integration; using a lighter launcher (Nova launcher) and managing what apps automatically start at boot up will make a huge difference.

By default Sony has things like Music Unlimited start automatically, which eats up RAM.

If Sony has given it 768MB (like the Galaxy Ace 2), then none of this would have been necessary.
    Well said. I still don't understand why manufacturers are so skimpy with RAM, it's hardly that expensive but can make a huge impact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »

Thanks, but how do I choose which apps to not start up automatically?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after using Gingerbread all morning, I can see why ICS would be required...

The text is way too big on Gingerbread with no option to decrease font size.

There's also no 'swipe to close' option with a long press of the home button.

Although it does seem quicker, I do prefer the look and feel of ICS, which is a shame as it's a memory hogger.
    Forum Member
    Are you comfortable with rooting, as there are custom ROMS available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you comfortable with rooting, as there are custom ROMS available?

I wouldn't want to root no. Tried it with my LG and messed it up!

How can I stop certain apps at startup then as mentioned before?
    Forum Member

Try this, it has a startup manager and more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.toolbox.full&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiaW1vYmxpZmUudG9vbGJveC5mdWxsIl0.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that something that has to run in the background all the time though?
    Forum Member
    Is that something that has to run in the background all the time though?

I believe so but don't take my word for it. I'm not currently using it although I have done.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's quite easy when you follow the instructions. Bricking your device is also unlikely.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Later versions of Android let you disable (but not remove) manufacturer bloatware. I think this was introduced in 4.1 though, not 4.0?

I kind of agree with sticking with gingerbread; to the casual user there's not much difference in functionality. There are some apps that will require ICS or higher, as a lot under the hood changed. But as long as you don't want any of those apps,its fine to stay on Gingerbread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Later versions of Android let you disable (but not remove) manufacturer bloatware. I think this was introduced in 4.1 though, not 4.0?

I kind of agree with sticking with gingerbread; to the casual user there's not much difference in functionality. There are some apps that will require ICS or higher, as a lot under the hood changed. But as long as you don't want any of those apps,its fine to stay on Gingerbread.

I upgraded in the end. Some of the features like the % battery and swipe to close and font size are all things I use.

I can't seem to stop certain apps from starting up when booting up the phone though.
    Forum Member
    Well said. I still don't understand why manufacturers are so skimpy with RAM, it's hardly that expensive but can make a huge impact.

It's cheaper for Sony and allows them to differentiate their product ranges better.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't seem to stop certain apps from starting up when booting up the phone though.

according to this its possible on 4.0 and up, so you might be in luck:
    http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/how-to-disable-unwanted-system-apps-and-bloatware-from-your-android-phone-android-4-0-and-up/
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    The Sony Xperia J is running Jelly Bean now...that has half the CPU power and the same amount of RAM...