2G Data - Anyone still use it?

lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering. I mean, it is pretty much unusable these days but there are occasions when out and about that I lock my Xperia T to 2G to save battery and whatsapp works fine :-)

Comments

• Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if I don't get a 3G signal but it is dead slow but I have used a Nokia 113 on 2G and it seems fast enough probably because the web pages are more compressed though.
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    lee18xx wrote: »
    Just wondering. I mean, it is pretty much unusable these days but there are occasions when out and about that I lock my Xperia T to 2G to save battery and whatsapp works fine :-)

I use it almost 95% of the time, when I want to use things like you tube and video, I switch on wifi, with wifi at home and BT Wifi almost everywhere, 3G has been pretty much a waste of time.

Other than the 3 network, if your phones manual allows you to select 2G,3G or 2G and 3G, if its on 3G and 2G, when making calls, your phone is likely to automatically switch to 2G to free up capacity on the network.

2G data works just fine for basic use. For phone calls and text messaging, it really is the best.

The networks should have abandoned 3G plans and jumped straight to investing in 4G, all the spectrum wasted by 3G which covers limited areas.

4G phones and sims currently out now will rinse your battery clean in no time, give it about a year for 4G to materialise and you will find that 2G and 4G is the best.

3G has been an ultimate waste of money and spectrum.

In the USA they are talking about phasing out 2G and phasing out landlines. Well this would be a disaster as 3G signals cover limited areas and those out in the sticks will be really screwed. 2G will be around in the UK for many years to come as it is reliable and works well here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I use it all the time considering it seems to be Vodafone's only form of mobile data :P
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most places my phone gets H and 3g but have seen it go E or G which seems slow. This O2
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if I'm really desperate to find something on the net. 2G speeds make me want to smash the phone lol.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yep, all the time when i'm on O2 since the 3g network here is absolutely rancid.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I remember of giffgaff, 2G was par for the course outside of main towns, and slow it was too. And that was even with a 3G 900 compatible phone. Basic and slow mobile web browsing was about most you could do, forget streaming at even low bitrates. It came to a head when on a journey south through Nottinghamshire, I was asked to provide an answer to a question. My phone couldn't maintain a stable connection, when it did, it was horribly slow to the point of unusable. I was then passed another phone which could get Three's 3G service. I got the answer in seconds.

And funnily enough on Three, I pay much less for unlimited 3G data than I would have to do with giffgaff for 2G/3G with only slightly less coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never. It's way too slow. 3G or nothing for me. 2G only for signal for texts if I have no 3G but I don't use 2G for data.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too slow for me. I usually just put the phone down any time I see the G or E symbol. I don't even like to see the 3G symbol on my phone these days. H or H+ puts a smile on my face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At home, it's 2G all the time for me. Fine for texts/calling, and if I need anything else, I switch on wifi. Saves on battery life considerably for me (HTC Sensation).

3G is only used when I'm out and about and need anything that I'd usually use wifi for.
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the time, it's that or nothing in places out here in the sticks (EE). Ticks my email in nicely, works for Twitter. Better than nowt!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    when i don't have signal. it's fine for email and the like.