Top Gear

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    The previous post 'Prince Monalulu' references the Guardians article on the Tesla libel cae against Top Gear. They lost. In fact they made two attempts and lost both of them.

Tesla appear to be very over-protective about their cars. Looks like they've got something to hide to me:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21426132
  • Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Milan fan driving from the UK to Milan is something I'd like to do one day. I think it's unlikely that Richard ran/jogged all the way from Lotto metro station to the San Siro though. It's a good 15 minute walk. There's also a free bus you can get from Lotto to the stadium, which they obviously ignored for entertainment purposes.

It was entertaining though, that's all that matters.
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    . I think it's unlikely that Richard ran/jogged all the way from Lotto metro station to the San Siro though. It's a good 15 minute walk.

He said it was about a mile - if he's fit (as he looks) I'd have thought jogging for a mile is easily doable for him?
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesla appear to be very over-protective about their cars. Looks like they've got something to hide to me:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21426132

To misquote Oscar Wilde

To suffer one high profile bad review, Mr Musk, may be regarded as a misfortune; to suffer a second looks like carelessness.

The NYT test does sound like a real life usage scenario, on the bright side at least it didn't catch fire.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend and I went to the recording of this coming Sunday's show yesterday. What a thoroughly brilliant day out it was. Loads of fun, a proper good laugh, enjoyed it immensely. Looking forward to seeing ths weeks show more than ever. Will be interesting to see how much it gets cut out. I suspect quite a bit, as it certainly wasn't all suitable for pre-watershed viewing. :D

If you're a fan of the show, and ever get the opportunity, just go for it.
  • TewingirlTewingirl Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewis Hamilton is on Top Gear on Sunday, trying to be the fastest F1 driver in a reasonably priced car. Should be great viewing! BBC2 8pm!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    As a Milan fan driving from the UK to Milan is something I'd like to do one day. I think it's unlikely that Richard ran/jogged all the way from Lotto metro station to the San Siro though. It's a good 15 minute walk. There's also a free bus you can get from Lotto to the stadium, which they obviously ignored for entertainment purposes.

It was entertaining though, that's all that matters.

Richard does a lot of running, so it would have been easy for him.

A friend and I went to the recording of this coming Sunday's show yesterday. What a thoroughly brilliant day out it was. Loads of fun, a proper good laugh, enjoyed it immensely. Looking forward to seeing ths weeks show more than ever. Will be interesting to see how much it gets cut out. I suspect quite a bit, as it certainly wasn't all suitable for pre-watershed viewing. :D

Agree. I've been and it is indeed a fun experience. The news gets hacked to pieces. Usually for the purposes of avoiding libel and swearing. :D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How long do they spend recording the links for the show? Do you spend all day there?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this series has been an improvement on last year. It's not as good as it was but it's still a good show and I will keep watching to the bitter end.

I think the main problem is they are running out of things to do. They haven't done buses yet!

Still I think this series is allot better than the last one.

Ken
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I think this series has been an improvement on last year. It's not as good as it was but it's still a good show and I will keep watching to the bitter end.

I think the main problem is they are running out of things to do. They haven't done buses yet!

Still I think this series is allot better than the last one.

Ken

They have done buses! Hammond did a racing one to find out which bus was the best (they used a load of TC drivers)

I don't think that they've run out of things to do, I think it's a money issue, there are fewer big road trips and when was the last cheap car challenge?

Clarkson admitted a while back the BBC were cutting their budget which of course makes no sense to anyone with a proper commercial brain, but then when the BBC is run by half the Labour party it's hardly a shock.

There are plenty of places to do a big road trip ( I don't know why they keep going back to the USA) like Canada, Russia, Australia/New Zealand for starters.

I'd like to see them doing more racing (like they did with the BMW and the cheap cars for golf clubs which were entertaining, funny and well filmed).
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clarkson admitted a while back the BBC were cutting their budget which of course makes no sense to anyone with a proper commercial brain,
    Two things there:

Firstly, any commercial profits made from the sales of DVDs, merchandise, live shows and the licensing of the TG brand go to BBC Worldwide, BBCWW's annual profits are returned to the BBC to supplement the licence fee as a whole. profits from TG commercial activities are not ring-fenced for TG. And as BBC budgets have suffered cuts recently due to the effects of the 6-year LF freeze and the imposition of funding responsibilities for BBC Monitoring and BBC World service, other programme budgets have seen cuts

Secondly, until recently 50% of all TG commercial profits went to Bedder 6 - the company set up by Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman, and jointly owned by JC, AM and BBC WW.

BBC WW bought the 50% stakes that JC and AW held last September. Now 100% of those TG profits will go to BBC WW.

Full details here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/27/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-payout

but then when the BBC is run by half the Labour party
    Except that it is not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    How long do they spend recording the links for the show? Do you spend all day there?

You need on site by about 1:30pm, 2pm absolute latest. The actual recording started about 3pm and was finished just before 6pm. As well as recording the links, news, interview etc you also get to see all of that week's films. In our instance, there weren't that many re-takes or pick-ups, but the studio is surprisingly small so all the equipment has to moved between segments. You are told you can be there until as late as 7:30pm sometimes.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    You need on site by about 1:30pm, 2pm absolute latest. The actual recording started about 3pm and was finished just before 6pm. As well as recording the links, news, interview etc you also get to see all of that week's films. In our instance, there weren't that many re-takes or pick-ups, but the studio is surprisingly small so all the equipment has to moved between segments. You are told you can be there until as late as 7:30pm sometimes.

What usually takes the most time - causing it to take 3 hours+ to film a one hour show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    What usually takes the most time - causing it to take 3 hours+ to film a one hour show?

Probably the stop-start nature of the recording. The studio is deceptively small, and doesn't have that many cameras. So every time they move from one segment to another (eg, the power lap board, going to the news) there's a 10 - 15 minute break while they shift the crowd out the way, move all the cameras, check the lighting, and get the audience back into position.

This week they were showing the Peugeot Onyx which has reflective copper bodywork. It took ages to get the lighting just right to show it off properly. Even then Jeremy cocked it up, so they had to do the whole link again.

The news was about 20- 25 minutes long, the Lewis Hamilton interview even longer. Obviously, these will be edited down for broadcast.

Lewis Hamilton was 20 minutes late turning up as well. He got stuck in traffic apparently.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Probably the stop-start nature of the recording. The studio is deceptively small, and doesn't have that many cameras. So every time they move from one segment to another (eg, the power lap board, going to the news) there's a 10 - 15 minute break while they shift the crowd out the way, move all the cameras, check the lighting, and get the audience back into position.

This week they were showing the Peugeot Onyx which has reflective copper bodywork. It took ages to get the lighting just right to show it off properly. Even then Jeremy cocked it up, so they had to do the whole link again.

The news was about 20- 25 minutes long, the Lewis Hamilton interview even longer. Obviously, these will be edited down for broadcast.

Lewis Hamilton was 20 minutes late turning up as well. He got stuck in traffic apparently.

How did they select all the fit birds to make sure they are always in shot? I'd like that job!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have done buses! Hammond did a racing one to find out which bus was the best (they used a load of TC drivers)

I don't think that they've run out of things to do, I think it's a money issue, there are fewer big road trips and when was the last cheap car challenge?

Clarkson admitted a while back the BBC were cutting their budget which of course makes no sense to anyone with a proper commercial brain, but then when the BBC is run by half the Labour party it's hardly a shock.

There are plenty of places to do a big road trip ( I don't know why they keep going back to the USA) like Canada, Russia, Australia/New Zealand for starters.

I'd like to see them doing more racing (like they did with the BMW and the cheap cars for golf clubs which were entertaining, funny and well filmed).

Silly me. Dementia has set in! :D

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did they select all the fit birds to make sure they are always in shot? I'd like that job!

To be honest, I didn't see any of that happening. There were a couple of instances where people were bought to the front. One was the ex-service personnel that did the Dakar rally, the other were from a group called Target (?) I'm assuming a charity, or other such organisation.

I think the pretty girls make their own way to the front. If that's where they wanted to be, who are were we to stop them?
    Forum Member
    Excited for tonight's episode - Richard testing the Mastretta or as James put it, the Tortilla :D
    Forum Member
    Bump... its started.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stig is 47% horse!!!:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    The Stig is 47% horse!!!:D:D:D:D

Of course relating to the horse meat scandal - I sure love the Stig introductions :D:D:D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Me and you both Clarkson.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Haha, Eric. Awesome episode so far :D
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    They really do have some major star pulling power - Matt Le Blanc, Eric Clapton, Bruce Willis :eek:
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce was better on Top Gear than on The One Show :D
This discussion has been closed.