Unlimited Data + Tethering + Unlimited SMS + 150 Mins for £12/Month !

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Just saw an article about cheapest unlimited data plans and the cheapest deal appears to be from Virgin Mobile on a 30 Day recurring SIM Only plan.

"Virgin Mobile’s SIM-only AYCE+T plan costs £12 per month on a 30-day contract, less than half Three’s cheapest all-you-can-eat data plan that includes tethering. What this means is that in theory, you could pair that that SIM with a low cost Android smartphone (like the £49.95 Motorola Motosmart) and get a versatile hotspot that can do much more than a bog-standard Mi-fi device for the same price. Oh and you get unlimited texts and 150 minutes. Virgin Mobile piggybacks on EE’s network, which should ensure optimum mobile coverage nationwide."

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/30/weekend-roundup-apple-ipad-5-google-x-phone-windows-8-adoption-rate-unlimited-data-plan-kick/#ixzz2GvrKvCJd

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Just saw an article about cheapest unlimited data plans and the cheapest deal appears to be from Virgin Mobile on a 30 Day recurring SIM Only plan.

"Virgin Mobile’s SIM-only AYCE+T plan costs £12 per month on a 30-day contract, less than half Three’s cheapest all-you-can-eat data plan that includes tethering. What this means is that in theory, you could pair that that SIM with a low cost Android smartphone (like the £49.95 Motorola Motosmart) and get a versatile hotspot that can do much more than a bog-standard Mi-fi device for the same price. Oh and you get unlimited texts and 150 minutes. Virgin Mobile piggybacks on EE’s network, which should ensure optimum mobile coverage nationwide."

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/30/weekend-roundup-apple-ipad-5-google-x-phone-windows-8-adoption-rate-unlimited-data-plan-kick/#ixzz2GvrKvCJd

Good deal, Just to bear in mind that there is a cap of 10GB data on Virgin's Unlimited tariffs. After 10GB you get speed capped at 384kbps which isn't great for tethering but should be ok for basic phone usage.

So not the same as Three's One Plan but then again not many people use 10GB a month, so this is a great deal if you want more than 1GB data with tethering ability (on the cheap). Three do a similar deal but as wavejock said tethering is not included so this deal is great for tethering. Plus you get 2G backup with EE.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=our.service.footer.sm068#Virgin
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes to mobile Internet and data here is only one option, 3. I was on 02 before moving to 3 an let me tell you. 02 IS CRAP, never used virginmedia but I totally recommend 3 for tethering and unlimited data.

Avoid 02 at all cost IMO.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a pretty good deal! Closest is Three's £12.90 but doesn't include tethering.
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    When it comes to mobile Internet and data here is only one option, 3. I was on 02 before moving to 3 an let me tell you. 02 IS CRAP, never used virginmedia but I totally recommend 3 for tethering and unlimited data.

EE are just as good as well for 3G seeing as they're part of MBNL too. T-Mobile do a good plan for high users at £21pm at the moment which is unl texts/calls/data (no tethering) But you're right that if you want tethering & Unl data (without being blocked/finding a work around) Three's one plan is the only legitimate choice.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

we've been thru the arguments regarding three already in other threads.

as they don't have a 2G data network you really need to ensure that you won't go anywhere that doesn't have 3G coverage otherwise you're screwed.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is this relevant to this thread apart from flaming?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm on virgin mobile and the only place I have had data problems is somewhere where no carrier except vodaphone works. So speaking from experience your statement is tosh

Don't forget that deal included unlimited virgin mobile to virgin mobile and virgin landlines to virgin mobile calls which for some like me where me and my partner are both on VM is ideal.

One other thing, I am not sure if that £12.90 deal is for existing VM broadband or TV or landline customers
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    How is this relevant to this thread apart from flaming?

It's not relevant of course! It is just flamebait!

Re 2G, it's not only important in places with no 3G it's vital in some major areas in buildings that have poor 3G reception. 2G is vital for the best reliability for voice calls so the Virgin offer seems to offer a combination of services that should be a very good proposition for most mobile users.

This could be a great secondary package to have for tethering for a tablet or laptop if you don't have access to Wi-Fi most of the day.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some who has the £12 plan from 3 and regularly downloads 30gb a month, 3 don't seem to care and he does it via tethering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't find anything on there to state if its existing customers only but the deal is £12 a month, not £12.90
    Mobile SIM Only £12

SIM card cost FREE

Your tariff gives you:
    Unlimited calls to Virgin Mobile numbers
    150 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    Unlimited texts to Virgin Mobile numbers
    Unlimited Mobile Web
    Forum Member
    I know some who has the £12 plan from 3 and regularly downloads 30gb a month, 3 don't seem to care and he does it via tethering.

Yes but according to the terms and conditions it's not allowed. I know people who get blocked straight away, and then again i know one guy who's got away with it on a payg sim for a few years now. So thats why the Virgin deal is good as it does include tethering.

Anyway, no need to continuously troll mate. :rolleyes:
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on the £12 plan (1GB data and 1200 mins) for a couple of months now (15% student discount too so it's a little cheaper) and have had no issues.

I get good internet speeds pretty much everywhere now which I didn't with GiffGaff.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have been on the £12 plan for a couple of months now (15% student discount to its a little cheaper) and have had no issues, I get good internet speeds pretty much everywhere now.

Can I ask how you got the student discount?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Can I ask how you got the student discount?

You need an NUS card - http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/allyours/en_gb/home/virgin-media-mobile/mobile_discount.html
    Forum Member
    Cheers mate, might get this for £10.20pm if o2 cant do anything for me by Easter.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    EE are just as good as well for 3G seeing as they're part of MBNL too.

Unless you're served by the p*ss poor Orange data network, under the EE banner, rather than the (better) T-Mobile part of MBNL, also under the EE banner, then you'd be just as well using GPRS frankly.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why this deal needed a new thread to be honest. It's not exactly a new deal and it has been mentioned by others (including myself) on this forum before and the OP even replied to one of the messages

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62088140&highlight=#post62088140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks for the link, my mrs has just started uni and will look into if she can get a discount on her existing contract.
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Been looking at this for sometime when it came out a few months back. I am defo moving to it when my Orange Contract is up in March.

Virgin Mobile runs on the EE network so we will get the improvements which are coming their way, and 10GB is amazing before being throttled. Think it is a decent deal especially when you can tether :D
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, Is this still available to buy and Tethering is still included?

also will it be possible to put the SIM into a mobile broadband dongle and use it just with a laptop?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The deal is still available but tethering has now been excluded in the T&Cs. Having said that, I am still happily tethering away on my android phone. Nice thing about this is it's only a 30 day commitment so soon as they stop me tethering i will be off to 3.

PS No idea about the dongle question, sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    The deal is still available but tethering has now been excluded in the T&Cs. Having said that, I am still happily tethering away on my android phone. Nice thing about this is it's only a 30 day commitment so soon as they stop me tethering i will be off to 3.

PS No idea about the dongle question, sorry.

It says only new and upgrading customers from 24/1/13 cannot tether, nothing about existing.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It says only new and upgrading customers from 24/1/13 cannot tether, nothing about existing.

Agreed but the cut in the usage before throttling from 10gb to 3.5gb is a real bummer imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Agreed but the cut in the usage before throttling from 10gb to 3.5gb is a real bummer imo.

I have never used over 1GB but if you do then yes it makes the so called unlimited much worse. It could be worse, they could limit you to 5mbps like T-Mobile do.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete