Django Unchained

Comments

• DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good film but not one of QT's best. Very entertaining for the most part, funny and some terrific performances. I think Waltz could have ran for best leading actor at the Oscars but he'll have a better chance in the supporting category. I do think the issue on the length of the film is very valid though. Such a story doesn't demand even a two hour film, let alone two and a half.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this. Somebody give Christoph Waltz an oscar.

I disagree with a friend of mine about Smith and Foxx (he claims Smith would have been a better choice). I thought Foxx was superb as Django, but even if he wasn't, I just couldn't picture Smith in the role. Though that may just be because I'm not a huge fan of Smith. He's never really been outstanding in any of his 'serious' roles. I thought the casting was brilliantly done though. Nobody really let the side down, except for possibly Kerry Washington.

The ending should have happened 20-30 minutes beforehand though. Too long. Not helped that I decided to watch the blasted film with an illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kerry did a fine job with a rather undeveloped character. Normally, QT is brilliant with his females, but this was a male oriented film.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. Waltz was amazing. It also had an awesome selection of very fitting songs!
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was James Remar cast in this twice? Anyone know? I thought it might be explained or did I miss something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No explanation but Michael Parks played two roles in Kill Bill. Not unusual for QT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Waltz to win the Oscar he is just amazing in this film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrNW4EZV6Sw
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    He gets called indulgent, like it's a bad thing. He makes films that he would like to see. What's wrong with that? Especially if you happen to love cinema, and the films that Tarantino homages.

With critics like yourselves, Tarantino can't win either way. If he was given a film to direct of a popular franchise, then you'd all call him a sellout.

If you can't understand Tarantino's mantra, then you have no place watching his films, nevermind offering your critique. Simple as that.

You can dress it up or spin it out in whatever way you choose, but the truth is that he rips off other director's material. If understanding his mantra means sticking your nose up his arse then I'd rather not understand it thank you.

I mean, am I supposed to drop my jaw at Pam Grier standing still on the walkway and say, wow what a shot, genius, or am I supposed to think, hasn't Nichols already done this before? Sorry, but its the latter, just like fans of City on Fire thought when their film was "remade" years later. Homage, my arse.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    You can dress it up or spin it out in whatever way you choose, but the truth is that he rips off other director's material. If understanding his mantra means sticking your nose up his arse then I'd rather not understand it thank you.

I mean, am I supposed to drop my jaw at Pam Grier standing statue still on the escalator and say, wow what a shot, or am I supposed to think, hasn't Nichols already done this before? Sorry, but its the latter, just like fans of City on Fire thought when their film was "remade" years later. Homage, my arse.

Next you'll be saying he rips off all those older composers and current artists that make up his mostly awesome soundtracks.

That whoosh sound is his entire body of work going over your head. :)
    Forum Member
    Oh please another apologist.

Tell you what, you say homage, Ill say rip off ok but quit with the elitist attitude as if I don't understand what makes him tick.

As for soundtracks, that wasn't my point, wasn't even an issue with me, although if you want cool soundtracks, look no further than Scorcese. Goodfellas has a soundtrack to die for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you just let us enjoy Tarantino in peace? His movies mean a lot to me and I don't care who he ripped off. If the films he ripped off have bettered his films, who cares?!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quit with the elitist attitude.

You talking to yourself, there?
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Can you just let us enjoy Tarantino in peace? His movies mean a lot to me and I don't care who he ripped off. If the films he ripped off have bettered his films, who cares?!

I was in direct reply to someone who said if we don't understand Tarantino, then we have no business critiquing his films. I disagreed.

I am glad you enjoy his films. I do in a strange way although I don't think he is god.
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    You talking to yourself, there?

Nope not usually. I guess its because somebody more or less told me I didn't understand him. Got my hackles up a bit this personal remark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in direct reply to someone who said if we don't understand Tarantino, then we have no business critiquing his films. I disagreed.

I am glad you enjoy his films. I do in a strange way although I don't think he is god.

My apologies.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never get bored with QT films.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    what can i say, Quentin Tarantino has done it again, a fantastic film, supurb cast, as you woukld expect from a Quentin Tarantino film, a high level of violance, gore and swearing, a few scenes were a bit uncomfortable but that aside i can't recommended this film highly enough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    just watched this online , freaking awesome , 5 stars !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I will never get bored with QT films.

Me neither! :)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ...

didn't do much for me . I mean it kept my attention , but I wouldn't really want to watch it again . Tarantino is getting even longer-winded , everyone's such a bore - "please sit down , in the chair , you know why it's called a chair ? Well the Greeks blah blah blah .... but my theory is this .... blah blah blah "
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVED this film... Deffo a blu-ray day 1 release here...Apparently it should be out around mid-late April. It is rumored to be out in america on April 16th so we could be looking at April 15th or maybe even April 22nd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    LOVED this film... Deffo a blu-ray day 1 release here...Apparently it should be out around mid-late April. It is rumored to be out in america on April 16th so we could be looking at April 15th or maybe even April 22nd

It'll more than likely be May at the earliest for the UK considering we didn't get it theatrically until 3-4 week after the US. DVD/Blu Ray releases tend to follow the same pattern too.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last night and the only word I can think of to describe it is 'outrageous', and I mean that in a good way. Long, wonderfully verbose scenes, interspersed with long, equally wonderful violence.There aren't many directors who would get away with even half what Tarantino does without being reigned in by the production company. Yes, it's much longer than it necessarily needed to be to tell the same story, but that just meant more to enjoy from Waltz and Jackson, the stand-outs for me. I've never really been able to take DiCaprio seriously as an actor for some reason - possibly because of his perpetual boyish good looks - so I didn't know if he would 'work' in this, but he and Tarantino seemed to embrace this perception and created the character as essentially a spoilt brat. Also good to see Don Johnson again. (Someone should give him a proper leading role in a mainstream film to show Hollywood he can still act, a la Mickey Rourke). QT seems to have this knack of taking once popular, but now seemingly forgotten actors, giving them starring roles and getting great performances out of them.
    As long as it was, I'd like to have seen more exposition of what happened between him being hung-up, about to have his boys burned off, to being transported by the three Aussie guys to the slave mine. Who were they, exactly? Did they work at Candiland, in which case why didn't they know who he was and what he'd done, or were they simply slave traders, in which case how did they acquire him? After everything that had gone before, this gap in the timeline seemed quite jarring.

As for the slavery angle, and whether QT is 'entitled' to make a film about it; if someone knew nothing about it, they'd learn a damn sight more about it from this film than that other slave film.

9/10
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's something of a return to form for Tarantino. I was disappointed with Basterds, didn't rate the grindhouse films and thought Kill Bill 2 dragged a fair bit. Django was filled with memorable scenes and quotable lines. Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio all were great but Jackson's reaction to Django riding up on a horse was a real standout moment for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mean, am I supposed to drop my jaw at Pam Grier standing still on the walkway and say, wow what a shot, genius, or am I supposed to think, hasn't Nichols already done this before? Sorry, but its the latter, just like fans of City on Fire thought when their film was "remade" years later. Homage, my arse.

Very well said. I have always thought he is way overrated and completely unoriginal.