Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Brooker`s show is far and away the funniest programme currently on tv. I loved the poem about falling in love with a spectator at the US open, genius. Shitpeas was fantastic and Clunk had me in stitches with her observations on that wooden `actor` Bruce Willis having his arse licked on live tv and still looking like he had just been shown an x ray of a tumour by his doctor. It summed up the absurdity of celebrity worship. Long may Charlie continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I THOUGHT that was Sidekick Simon!! :D
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, can I watch your youtube mashups?
    What's your youtube channel name?
    You can message me the link details if you're not comfortable letting everybody know.

:)

http://youtube.com/domsezxl

There's a few vlogs and videos for my online radio show, too, some of the latter which will appear before the mash-ups.
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Charlie Brooker`s show is far and away the funniest programme currently on tv. I loved the poem about falling in love with a spectator at the US open, genius. Shitpeas was fantastic and Clunk had me in stitches with her observations on that wooden `actor` Bruce Willis having his arse licked on live tv and still looking like he had just been shown an x ray of a tumour by his doctor. It summed up the absurdity of celebrity worship. Long may Charlie continue.

Clearly you haven't seen any of his other series when he used to be immeasurably better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people expecting more insights on how the TV industry works? Screenwipe done it because it was a show about television, Weekly Wipe is a show about well... the week. The events, films, TV etc... the show doesn't lend itself to insider kind of stuff.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people expecting more insights on how the TV industry works? Screenwipe done it because it was a show about television, Weekly Wipe is a show about well... the week. The events, films, TV etc... the show doesn't lend itself to insider kind of stuff.

I believe that Virgil Tracy simply said deconstructing 'stuff', which could be anything.
    It's not insider kind of stuff, it's accessible to us all as it's something which we all have a constant relationship with as consumers of media.

As Weekly Wipe is a broader scope of the media it has even more potential for certain subject matter to be deconstructed in a funny but revealing way.
  • ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'or he's a f***ing murderer'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    http://youtube.com/domsezxl

There's a few vlogs and videos for my online radio show, too, some of the latter which will appear before the mash-ups.

Clearly you haven't seen any of his other series when he used to be immeasurably better.

I have seen most if not all of Charlie`s stuff. Still think last week`s was one of the funniest shows ever.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Condescending.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched series 1-3 again recently and there is quite a bit of rose tinted specs going on in this thread. Some are absolutely top notch, but equally there's a fair few that had no laugh out moments for me.

Also as somebody has already pointed out, this is now Weekly Wipe and different in purpose to previous wipe series. It seems to be getting criticised by some for actually keeping to its very raison d'etre
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I believe that Virgil Tracy simply said deconstructing 'stuff', which could be anything.
    It's not insider kind of stuff, it's accessible to us all as it's something which we all have a constant relationship with as consumers of media.

As Weekly Wipe is a broader scope of the media it has even more potential for certain subject matter to be deconstructed in a funny but revealing way.
    A break down of lesser chat/entertainment shows like The One Show when they get a 'major' guest in could be a good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trouble is, it's failing in how successful the deconstruction is. There was a good line about Take Me Out, but the show is over 3 years old, so it's way overdue taking the piss out of.
    Agent F wrote: »
    Condescending.

Huh?
    I watched series 1-3 again recently and there is quite a bit of rose tinted specs going on in this thread. Some are absolutely top notch, but equally there's a fair few that had no laugh out moments for me.

I thought pretty much all of it at the time was great and insightful, but not now.
    Also as somebody has already pointed out, this is now Weekly Wipe and different in purpose to previous wipe series. It seems to be getting criticised by some for actually keeping to its very raison d'etre

But you at least expect it to have his clever touches, and it doesn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Take Me Out overdue? It's still on now and he's never done it before plus it wasn't just that it was about all dating shows if anything the focus was on Sing Date.
  • CaptMcMallisterCaptMcMallister Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Why is Take Me Out overdue? It's still on now and he's never done it before plus it wasn't just that it was about all dating shows if anything the focus was on Sing Date.

He did pretty much identical content in his Guardian piece in 2010:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/jan/23/charlie-brooker-screen-burn

Including the showbiz turd gag and the hen night analogy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, apart from...
    He did pretty much identical content in his Guardian piece in 2010:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/jan/23/charlie-brooker-screen-burn

Including the showbiz turd gag and the hen night analogy.

I don't know if you've ever seen someone trying to be funny, on TV or in a comedy club, Deserana 12, you make jokes about something when it's new, not 3 years late when all the jokes have already been made a long time earlier, and much better. He was talking about it as if it had only just been broadcast for the first time.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A break down of lesser chat/entertainment shows like The One Show when they get a 'major' guest in could be a good one.

That isn't the type of item we were talking about.
    That's more of a mickey take, and not really a deconstruction at all.

When we spoke of deconstructing stuff we were speaking about the type of thing when he takes apart how something is put together piece by piece and reconstructs a parody version of a show done in a similar style using the same parts.

Or alternatively he'd deconstruct a news item and break it apart into its final details and background. For example the item about how a German serial killer got more news coverage than a peace protest in Ireland and how he explored how that in itself possibly creates its own potential problems.
    Or the riots a couple of years ago how certain demonstrators were demonized and misreported by the news.

These weren't just mickey takes for laughs. These are examples of where he deconstructed media items in a more thoughtful manner but yet were still packed with humour,

This series could do with more of that kind of stuff. I think it was the occasional dealing with subject matter in this way that really helped the series and prevented it from being too much like TV Burp.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely enjoy this series. I've got every Wipe series and while it doesn't hit the highs of some other episodes, it entertains me and that's all that ultimately matters.

Any series that goes beyond 2-3 years always seems to attract a set of bores who bang on about the glory years. There's a reason he attracts millions of viewers and others are resigned to a few hits on youtube/commenting on a tinpot forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuinely enjoy this series. I've got every Wipe series and while it doesn't hit the highs of some other episodes, it entertains me and that's all that ultimately matters.

Any series that goes beyond 2-3 years always seems to attract a set of bores who bang on about the glory years. There's a reason he attracts millions of viewers and others are resigned to a few hits on youtube/commenting on a tinpot forum.

Hello, Mr Tinpot, meet Mr Kettle(!)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That isn't the type of item we were talking about.
    That's more of a mickey take, and not really a deconstruction at all.
    I think it would work very well. He can go into how this little show copes with the big guests. How the presenters and guests cope with cutting away to a piece on boy scouts and the Hitler youth.
    I'm thinking more of a behind the scenes making off. It's different to the stuff he's done before but why not try something new, especially as he is getting criticism for his current content.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought he'd have a go at the media's reaction to the Pope resigning.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that one of those penguin cameras on his sideboard?:D
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol at "mark owen"
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    lol at "mark owen"
    that was funny:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brooker is becoming too predictable in the news stories he covers.

Still loving Philomena though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The chicken is radiating disorder"
    What??