TV placement - above fireplace etc

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I will be moving soon and the new house is lovely but I may have to put the TV above the fireplace

I've always disliked the idea but may have to, so I'd like some feedback from people with this sort of placement - is it comfortable or would you prefer to move it downwards given the choice.

I imagine it would give you a sore neck but I may totally mistaken.

My layout would have the sofa about 6-8 feet away from the TV.

Comments

• DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Yes it is too high for comfort, but more important, if the fireplace is in use rising heat could knacker the TV in a very short time.

the fireplace is decorative, but that's a useful comment thanks.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless the fireplace is really low then IMO it's just too high. It looks okay in pubs because everyone is watching either standing up or seated but from a greater distance. But in living rooms it's just uncomfortable.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Obviously it's a personal preference, but, above the fireplace (normal size) will always be too high for me. To be honest, if the fireplace is just decorative, you could take it out and mount the TV and speakers at a nice hight and replace the FP as the focal point...
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok that's what I thought, won't be doing that.
  • 24 Carat Sirius24 Carat Sirius Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I hate having TVs mounted on the wall anywhere, in case there is a freak accident where it randomly falls off despite it apparently being fixed onto the wall properly! :o
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    I hate having TVs mounted on the wall anywhere, in case there is a freak accident where it randomly falls off despite it apparently being fixed onto the wall properly! :o

That's probably the silliest reason I've ever heard :p

If a TV is fixed on the wall properly then there's not the slightest chance it's going to fall off.

Any 'freak accident' which caused it to happen would be FAR more major than worrying about damage to the TV (such as a lorry crashing through the wall).

A TV is FAR, FAR more likely to be knocked over on a stand/cabinet than when it's fixed to a wall.

As an engineer who does accident estimates for insurers I've NEVER had to do one for a TV fixed to a wall (aside from Wii based ones) - they have all been on stands/cabinets and knocked over by dogs, children, people cleaning etc.