Tethering Nexus 4 to Windows 7

omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying to tether my Nexus 4 to my PC (using WiFi), but Windows keeps saying "Limited Access" and the internet doesn't work. Tethering works perfectly with other devices including a Nexus 7 and Chromebook, so I assume it's down to a configuration problem on the PC.

I've had a quick look on Google and apparently the "Limited Access" error is common and will usually resolve itself after a few minutes, but I've left it for over half an hour and still have the problem

What could be the issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Has your pc got wifi access?I had to buy a wifi dongle and put it into a usb port on my pc.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the PC has definitely got WiFi. It will connect to my Sky Broadband via WiFi, but not the Nexus hotspot.

I tried an old Windows 7 laptop yesterday which successfully connected to the Nexus so it must be a configuration problem on the PC, I just can't find out what it is.
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I take it,it is the one plan with three that you have got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Three on the One Plan.

My Sky Broadband speed has gone down following a line fault and is now only 1.2mbps, so being able to tether to 3 would be handy for things like large downloads or HD YouTube videos. It already works brilliantly with the laptop/tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solved this by using a different USB WiFi adapter in the PC.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have incorrect IP address settings on your PC.

You should check your built-in adapter is set to automatic addressing and not some old settings for a previous network that are incompatible with your phone.