Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

A kiss goodnight? from the bemused way he looked at her when she gave him a kiss on the cheek, I doubt it.

Anyway, if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one to hear it, does it make a noise? That is, if there's actually no evidence to suggest that they are physically intimate, except for the sense that they couldn't possibly be sharing a bed and not be -- then, what difference does it make to the plot line or story? Their daytime relations are deteriorating, and not getting better,( as one might reasonably expect if there some residual afterglow from good sex. ) and that's the major story arc.

I can't see them being intimate and not letting us see it as it would be such a huge part of the show. That tension the lack of intimacy created adds to the lack of communication that leads the final breakdown of the relationship. Don't you think?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I can't see them being intimate and not letting us see it as it would be such a huge part of the show. That tension the lack of intimacy created adds to the lack of communication that leads the final breakdown of the relationship. Don't you think?

My point perzackly. :D

Although, to be fair, what I think is being argued from the "yes they probably are" point of view is that they are SO relaxed and comfortable with each other in the bedroom that they must be. And they do act like "a couple" in the bedroom scenes.

But remember, they are not "a normal couple", they are not together by design, but they do love and respect each other.
    They certainly have had sex, hence the baby, and have even been through childbirth together. It would be stranger still, perhaps, if they were stiff and distant with each other and preoccupied with modesty. Although those pajamas....

Also, she's post-partum. I remember post-partum well, with a baby who didn't sleep well to boot, and re-kindling a physical relationship with my husband would not have been high on either of our minds for the first period of time. I think it would go against DM's grain as well. And by the time that might have happened naturally, things were souring between them.

I hope and trust that we will see in S6 what it looks like in the equivalent bedroom scenes of a couple who are actually physically intimate. ;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    My point perzackly. :D

Although, to be fair, what I think is being argued from the "yes they probably are" point of view is that they are SO relaxed and comfortable with each other in the bedroom that they must be. And they do act like "a couple" in the bedroom scenes.

I hope and trust that we will see in S6 what it looks like in the equivalent bedroom scenes of a couple who are actually physically intimate. ;):)

New Park, for me, whether or not they are physically intimate, and I think I'm now buying your idea that they are not, is that the bedroom scenes revealed a comfort level between them that becomes increasingly scarce as the season progresses. Perhaps their purpose is to show that they do connect on many levels, even when the problems they have are plentiful.

Those moments softened both characters, which was needed and enjoyable.

And I join in your hope that Season Six brings a clear resolution to "are they or aren't they?" :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although, following up on the "did they or didn't they" thread -- we don't know what may have followed the sweet scene where LG woke up DM to tell him that she had decided to go to London with him. Some pretty significant looks were being exchanged when the dog burst in. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    whale wrote: »
    Any chance of anyone YT the Lemur documentary Tues.June 5th with MC, this would be interesting to watch thks..
    Conniej wrote: »
    Assuming that all goes well, I should upload it in the early evening (Pacific Time) to YouTube tomorrow. My computer was returned to me today and it seems to be okay. :)

Thanks, Conniej! Sitting down to watch it now!!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq8sOto0LvE&feature=relmfu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    New Park, for me, whether or not they are physically intimate, and I think I'm now buying your idea that they are not, is that the bedroom scenes revealed a comfort level between them that becomes increasingly scarce as the season progresses. Perhaps their purpose is to show that they do connect on many levels, even when the problems they have are plentiful.

And I join in your hope that Season Six brings a clear resolution to "are they or aren't they?" :-)

Totally agree with this. :D:D

It occurs to me, that it may actually be because the possibility of renewing their romantic relationship is for the moment off the table, that they are able to be this comfortable and relaxed with each other.
    Forum Member
    Although, following up on the "did they or didn't they" thread -- we don't know what may have followed the sweet scene where LG woke up DM to tell him that she had decided to go to London with him. Some pretty significant looks were being exchanged when the dog burst in. :D

Another reason Martin hates dogs.

:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The PortWennians Always Ring Twice. Another romance killer: when Martin is caressing (ahhh) Louisa's cheek and his phone rings. They're always interrupted, it seems!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hey, folks!

Just an announcement that I have just uploaded all 41 chapters of my second DM fan fiction story, "The Third Time", to fanfiction.net.

I know some of you enjoyed my first story and so I hope you give this story a chance!

If you want to read about love, sex, frustration, fighting, change, growth, torment, confusion, attacking dogs, and the frigid Atlantic Ocean, this is for you! Rating M.

I want to thank someone on the list, name forgotten, who mentioned that "Anomalies" book, which I used in my tale, and also the amazing Biffpup for being my Beta and teaching me when you use past instead of passed, and editing things in general.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8188231/1/

It was marchrand who suggested "Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine" when we were guessing at the old, thick book DM was reading in bed the night James Henry got his name.

Hey, everybody, I highly, highly recommend Mona's new story. It's got everything, humor, romance, danger, excitement, drama. Also it's very, very well written and well researched. It's great fun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I re-watched S5 E1 recently, something popped out at me. When DM comes out of the bathroom (nappy cream, nappy cream) and joins LG in her bed, she's distraught because the baby is crying and DM has advised her to let him cry for a bit. He checks his watch and tells her (I think) 3 more minutes, and agrees that it's upsetting, but he says this is to "teach him". DM then pauses for a moment, looks at the baby & looks at LG, and to me, he looks distinctly uncomfortable. The look on his face as he looks at LG tells me he's secretly wanting her to ignore his advice & go to the baby. Watch his face as he looks at her.

Does anyone else see this? It's brief, but I think it's there.

Feel free to tell me I'm delusional.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    When I re-watched S5 E1 recently, something popped out at me. When DM comes out of the bathroom (nappy cream, nappy cream) and joins LG in her bed, she's distraught because the baby is crying and DM has advised her to let him cry for a bit. He checks his watch and tells her (I think) 3 more minutes, and agrees that it's upsetting, but he says this is to "teach him". DM then pauses for a moment, looks at the baby & looks at LG, and to me, he looks distinctly uncomfortable. The look on his face as he looks at LG tells me he's secretly wanting her to ignore his advice & go to the baby. Watch his face as he looks at her.

That's a great interpretaion of the look he gives her - I love it.

On another bedroom note, all we see is a very small part of their time together there. It was probably his suggestion to take the baby to Ruth's so she could have some quiet time. And when they're discussing his flat, we come in on the middle of the conversation, they are so comfortable with each other there. I think it's significant that the arguments are outside of the bedroom. I suppose some members will think of the naming scene as difficult, but I don't. They are talking honestly with each other there. It's funny that he is telling her how to hold the baby when he didn't seem to know how to do that in ep 1. Maybe they aren't making love there, but it is a bit of a sanctuary for the three of them away from the rest of the world.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I want to thank someone on the list, name forgotten, who mentioned that "Anomalies" book, which I used in my tale, and also the amazing Biffpup for being my Beta and teaching me when you use past instead of passed, and editing things in general.

Yes, that was me--Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine by George Gould, A.M., M.D. and Walter L. Pyle, A.M., M.D. (1896) published by The Julian Press 1956. I am going to read your fanfiction tonight! My husband bought that book, used, before we were married and my three children when they were young loved to read through it. One of the first things they mentioned to me after he passed away a few years ago was "Don't give away that book!". In fact, I am quite sure he used it one night when he taught religious instructions one night a week early on in our marriage. The boys in the class didn't want to be there, being forced to attend by their parents. One night one of the boys was teasing another in the class and said that he probably caught ........(using a slang expression) meaning a sexually transmitted disease. My husband then stopped and asked them if they knew what could happen to them if they had unprotected sex, left untreated, they did not. The following week he brought in this book and explained and showed them the consequences--of course, that was way back when--treatments probably unavailable as they are now. The following week my husband quit teaching and told me they had no interest in the religious class. I was disappointed at his decision, as I think he could have incorporated both practical knowledge and religious instruction.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thai you so much for this Connie! That got me through a tough night last night :-)

On that note, has anyone run across the horse pageant on YT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I was disappointed with how downbeat series 5 was. It lost a lot of those "sigh" moments where they gaze at one another and you really think things could work for them.

Looking forward to a much more upbeat and optimistic series 6 with more consistant characterisation or at the very least a bit of explanation of why characters behave inconsistently. (Mostly referring to LGs motivations.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with this. :D:D

It occurs to me, that it may actually be because the possibility of renewing their romantic relationship is for the moment off the table, that they are able to be this comfortable and relaxed with each other.

I think you could be right here. Nice catch. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

I hadn't caught that before. I hope you are right. Might be another chink in the "I'm like my father" wall.
    Forum Member
    I rewatched Haemophobia and was struck by the sincerity of Martin's apology to Peter. I wonder if there is any other instance where he apologizes to someone (and I don't count the interchange between Edith and Martin where no apologies are actually given but the other announces, apology accepted!).

When I've wondered what Louisa sees in Martin, that sequence in the ambulance seems to encapsulate those heroic qualities: smart, kind, gentle, honest, willing to accept the challenge of surgery even when he's just said he could no longer tolerate operating.

I understand the need for pacing in a long-running series and that there was a deliberate effort to make the DM character darker, ruder, almost angrier -- but I really liked the man in that ambulance, that hero. And you saw the response from the "heroine," absolutely believing that he could do it, defending him against the surgical upstart.

Nicely done!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rewatched Haemophobia and was struck by the sincerity of Martin's apology to Peter. I wonder if there is any other instance where he apologizes to someone (and I don't count the interchange between Edith and Martin where no apologies are actually given but the other announces, apology accepted!).

When I've wondered what Louisa sees in Martin, that sequence in the ambulance seems to encapsulate those heroic qualities: smart, kind, gentle, honest, willing to accept the challenge of surgery even when he's just said he could no longer tolerate operating.

I understand the need for pacing in a long-running series and that there was a deliberate effort to make the DM character darker, ruder, almost angrier -- but I really liked the man in that ambulance, that hero. And you saw the response from the "heroine," absolutely believing that he could do it, defending him against the surgical upstart.

Nicely done!

Hemophilia is a magnificent show (but then, which episode isn't?)

I did think it was lovely of LG going in to stand up against Adrian Pitts, but her "warning" to him was SO lame, I was really disappointed in what she said. I thought the writers could have made this sort of non-confrontational woman (except with Martin!) say something a little more "in your face" than, "If you speak badly about Martin, I'll come looking for you." (paraphrase) Who's LG to Adrian? Why would he care, if she comes after him?

The fact that he seems chagrined was more to the director's desire than what I think really in life would occur. I don't think that someone like Adrian would feel that put back by LG's fairly mild threat. I wish it was a lot stronger. I wish, for example, she would have pushed him out of the hospital, like in about 40 minutes she's pushing DM out of the taxi! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Hey, folks!

Just an announcement that I have just uploaded all 41 chapters of my second DM fan fiction story, "The Third Time", to fanfiction.net.

I know some of you enjoyed my first story and so I hope you give this story a chance!

If you want to read about love, sex, frustration, fighting, change, growth, torment, confusion, attacking dogs, and the frigid Atlantic Ocean, this is for you! Rating M.

Great story, Mona.:) I just spent the greater part of my afternoon reading it straight through. You have the characters spot on. It's interesting how you incorporated some of the analysis that's on DS into your story. Really liked all the chapters being put on FF at once. Well done! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Just got Season 5 in the mail tonight (hold out for Amazon). Big smile when I saw the yellow mail package when I opened the door. Love getting this kind of mail. Now also rewatching (of course I couldn't wait, saw it all on Acornonline until the tossers shut it off in April). Now opinions here please, if I've got it right... Episode 1, Martin with baby enters Joan's house and goes to a bedroom? Who's room is it? It is a single bed, 2 pictures on the table. My interpretation is that it is "his" room that Joan had for him. Those are pictures of his parents on the table. Is that right? Is that what you all see?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say hello; I joined about a week ago and have been diligently reading through! I may lurk for a while until I drum up something intelligent to say; in the meantime, just wanted to say I'm so glad to have found this forum. (Although it doesn't do much to cure my debilitating Martin Clunes addiction, I'm afraid.) :)
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Just got Season 5 in the mail tonight (hold out for Amazon). Big smile when I saw the yellow mail package when I opened the door. Love getting this kind of mail. Now also rewatching (of course I couldn't wait, saw it all on Acornonline until the tossers shut it off in April). Now opinions here please, if I've got it right... Episode 1, Martin with baby enters Joan's house and goes to a bedroom? Who's room is it? It is a single bed, 2 pictures on the table. My interpretation is that it is "his" room that Joan had for him. Those are pictures of his parents on the table. Is that right? Is that what you all see?

Hmmm. I thought it was her room (that she had moved into a smaller room to convert larger rooms into guest rooms for her B&B. I thought the pictures on the bedside were of Martin (standing stiffly) and Ruth, or Ruth a few years earlier. They are the only members of her family left that she cared about, yes?
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend this fan fiction story:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7826203/1/The_Visitor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say hello; I joined about a week ago and have been diligently reading through! I may lurk for a while until I drum up something intelligent to say; in the meantime, just wanted to say I'm so glad to have found this forum. (Although it doesn't do much to cure my debilitating Martin Clunes addiction, I'm afraid.) :)

Welcome to the forum:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.