Katy Perry and Dr. Luke

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
Forum Member
Katy Perry has confirmed that she has been working with Dr. Luke for her 4th album http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1558827/katy-perry-is-halfway-there-on-third-album-talks-new-songs-like-double-rainbow

Isn't Dr Luke prohibited from his contract to work with non-Sony artists? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a349945/katy-perry-to-stop-working-with-producer-dr-luke.html

This is good news though as I was concerned that Katy Perry wouldn't be working with him as he gave her 5 #1s. Her working with him is good news! Bring on Album 4!

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Dr. Luke has worked with people from a wide variety of record labels for his entire career. Just most of the songs aren't as successful as the ones Katy release.

I've never really heard of producers being restricted to one record label before.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quelle surprise.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dr luke? who is he?
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,909
    Forum Member
    He had a lot to do with the Teenage Dream album, didn't he? I liked TD but I was looking for a different direction.

Looking forward to hearing new material though.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    He had a lot to do with the Teenage Dream album, didn't he? I liked TD but I was looking for a different direction.

Looking forward to hearing new material though.

Yeah i think LFN amongst others were made alongside him aswell as maybe a few songs on her debut bonnie McKee who was also involved is back too and Sia is also writing with her. I am a bit concerned he is back as i really want some progression and not more kind of Generic pop though the TD album was a pop confection i very much enjoyed ;):p
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I would say Teenage Dream was generic pop at its finest. I'd be happy to see more of that from Katy, it works for her.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I don't know, I would say Teenage Dream was generic pop at its finest. I'd be happy to see more of that from Katy, it works for her.

It probably was, but it was still a good album. I'm looking forward to her next one. And is her upcoming album her third or fourth?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

Yeah but look at Ke$ha she did more of the same and bombed so another TD album i just think won't cut it.

And CNBc technically it's her fourth but third major label her debut was the Gospel album under her real name Katy Hudson she also released Katy Perry unplugged so fifth overall :)
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Dr. Luke has worked with people from a wide variety of record labels for his entire career. Just most of the songs aren't as successful as the ones Katy release.

I've never really heard of producers being restricted to one record label before.

Generally they aren't but Dr Luke signed a very lucrative deal with Sony to launch his own label with their backing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably was, but it was still a good album. I'm looking forward to her next one. And is her upcoming album her third or fourth?

It's her third under the name Katy Perry but her fourth overall.

I really liked Teenage Dream. Hopefully the new album will be slightly different but still have songs as catchy as those on Teenage Dream. I read somewhere that she described the new album as slightly darker sounding so that should be cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this tells me is that there will be another controversy surrounding one of her singles that will most definitely sound like either a Kesha or Jessie J single that Dr. Luke has worked on. He generally picks a song and gives it to a few artists in the same time span and the three big names he produced for recently are Kesha, Katy, and Jessie. I'd bet money on it actually.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yeah but look at Ke$ha she did more of the same and bombed so another TD album i just think won't cut it.
    I don't think "more of the same" is the problem for Ke$ha, I think it's a lack of catchy songs. Die Young is probably the most commercial on the album, there are other nice songs on it but none infect your brain like Tik Tok.