Films not on dvd, blu ray originally released on video.

13»

Comments

• Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Yeah, on Region 1 and I do not have the resources to play a Region 1 DVD. Monster Squad, the TV series is available on Region 2 but its the film we need.

This is what I just don't get. There is a film or films that you cannot play because you are not multi region...so you would rather wait for years, constantly frustrated because you cannot watch a movie you really want, when the solution is so simple.

For the cost of a multi region player, a single initial outlay then all your problems are solved, no more restrictions.

I have been multi region since the very early days of dvd. I very quickly got fed up with not being able to own films I wanted, and back then there was a lot more that was available on R1 and not on R2.

It just seems in this day and age the solution to he problem is so very simple, I can't understand why some people are still prepared to bemoan the lack of some of their favorite movies.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The River Rat
    Shy People
    Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    The Sterile Cuckoo
    Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
    Suburbia
    The Wizard of Loneliness
    Charlie and the Great Balloon Chase
    Independence Day (1983)

I've just found out The Sterile Cuckoo finally received a DVD release last October.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I just don't get. There is a film or films that you cannot play because you are not multi region...so you would rather wait for years, constantly frustrated because you cannot watch a movie you really want, when the solution is so simple.

For the cost of a multi region player, a single initial outlay then all your problems are solved, no more restrictions.

I have been multi region since the very early days of dvd. I very quickly got fed up with not being able to own films I wanted, and back then there was a lot more that was available on R1 and not on R2.

It just seems in this day and age the solution to he problem is so very simple, I can't understand why some people are still prepared to bemoan the lack of some of their favorite movies.

But no-one is moaning though. The thread asks which films are thought to be unavailable on DVD, not which films have you been searching for on DVD. I mentioned Song of the South and Angels Wash Their Faces. Doesn't mean I'm desperate to see them.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    But no-one is moaning though. The thread asks which films are thought to be unavailable on DVD, not which films have you been searching for on DVD. I mentioned Song of the South and Angels Wash Their Faces. Doesn't mean I'm desperate to see them.

Maybe not you personally, but many people on here have bemoaned the lack of certain films they would like to see on DVD or blu ray.
  • soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Stunts' and 'Screamtime!' are two really enjoyable films that have yet to be released on DVD or bluray.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,253
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Anything released on VHS but not re-released on DVD and/or Blue Ray is proabably not worth watching.

Huh? That's just silly.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,253
    Forum Member
    Prompted by a thread in GD about buying VCR players, it was mentioned that there are apparently a lot of movies released originally on video that are still not yet available on dvd, blu ray or any other format.

But I have to be honest I really cannot think of any.

I am also talking worlwide here, not just UK. Many films are available on other regions if not here, and it's very easy to go multi region these days.

I just can't think of anything that I don't either already have or don't want or that is not due to be released.

Any ideas?

The Keep (1983)
    Ian McKellan, Gabriel Byrne and Scott Glenn.

The Incident (1967)
    Beau Bridges and Martin Sheen.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a list about 2 years ago. There were loads, literally 100 or so I wouldve considered buying but were not on DVD, at least a dozen or so, I would say were very good films.

They may be on DVD now, but off the top of my head, there were at least two, possibly three of the four 'And Then There Were None' versions only on VHS.

Also Bostocks Cup and Bernard And The Genie had both not gone onto DVD at that time and the VHS copies were worth a lot.

Road to Nhill, Champions, Detonator and a film called 'The Day After' were also some.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a copy of that in my local dvd shop (he also stocks R1 releases). Not sure of it was the blu ray or dvd though.

and Song Of The South is also avalable on R2 dvd...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/South-Warrick-Bobby-Driscoll-Baskett/dp/7798945733/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1357571874&sr=1-1

Song of the South has never been released anywhere on dvd. Any dvd copies are bootlegs. A few years back there was an online petition calling on Disney to release it on dvd, it got 115 thousand signatures. And Disney said no.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shag (1986)

Released on VHS, but no DVD or Blu-ray release yet. I'm still harbouring a VHS copy in my collection as I refuse to get a copy of R1 DVD as it features a soundtrack entirely different from theatrical soundtrack (which is also slightly different from VHS soundtrack).

Recommended For Mercy (1975)

Released on VHS PAL during the late 1980s, but no DVD or Blu-ray release anywhere yet. This is the film got me interested in true crime films when I was around 13. I got it from a newsagent-slash-video rental shop when I thought it was a horror film, but turned out to be a fictional reconstruction (with a strong slant of the Rashomon effect) of a real-life Canadian murder, the Steven Truscott case that took place during the 1950s, and a court trial. The film revolves around two issues: whether Truscott - or Robinson in the film - was innocent (the film suggests he was) and whether he was too young (he was 14 at the time) to be tried and hanged as adult for the rape and murder of a 12-year-old school friend.

Experience Preferred... But Not Essential (1983)

As far as I know, it's never been released on any medium in the UK. A sweet, funny film about a teenage girl (whom I thought looked a bit like Nicholas Lyndhurst) going to Wales to work at an isolated hotel during the 1960s. Edited: Here's a clip of the film to see her resemblance to Nicholas Lyndhurst. :D
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Much Sun or any film made by Robert Downey Sr. Though they won't release it on D.V.D as im probably amongst twenty people max that liked it.:-D
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to see the 1979 horror spoof 'Nocturna', starring John Carradine and Yvonne De Carlo, but it has eluded DVD to date. There's one VHS copy on amazon.com, for quite a bit of money. Talking of Carradine, I doubt his 'Vampire Hookers' has made it to DVD either! :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for photographing fairies....
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say The World's Greatest Sinner but a quick search shows that it was finally released in May this year.

Next choice was Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena but then that was never released on video, or in theatres, I'm not sure it was even finished. Still, DVD release please.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Don't Be Afraid of the Dark aswell as the Kolchak movies and several others from Dan Curtis remain unavailable on dvd in the UK along with dozens of other classic movies now finally getting released on the "manufactured on demand" labels in the US.

Not sure Crowhaven Farm even came out on VHS

It's perhaps not a good idea to use the UK Bluray market as an example as even the Hollywood majors are starting to ignore us with even mainstream classics appearing on Bluray in other parts of Europe while we don't get them.

The original Poseidon Adventure has been available in Europe for over a year but its not out here until Jan 2014.

Even more than it was with dvd , being multi region for Bluray is essential for collectors.

Vincent Price Collection (6 films)
    Amityville Trilogy
    Corruption (Peter Cushing)
    Friday the 13th Collection
    Monster Club
    Hands of the Ripper
    Vampire Circus
    Twins of Evil
    The Haunting (1963)
    Mandingo
    Star Chamber
    Romancing The Stone
    House on Straw Hill (aka Expose)
    Incredible Melting Man
    Monte Carlo or Bust
    Houdini
    Man who Could Cheat Death
    The Skull

Just a few of the recent titles out in the US but not here - although not all are region locked