Predict the finishing order of the rumored line-up

124»

Comments

• henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dondfan998 wrote: »
    So, it seems like we pretty much have our 14 celebs.

Johnny Ball, 74, Mathematician

How did Johnny Ball with two O Levels in total according to Wikipedia become recognised as a "Mathematician"?

He left formal education with two 'O' Levels, one in Mathematics and one in Geography.

Typically crass BBC dumbing down.
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought I'd find this so I could see how we did. For those of you who had 2 guesses, only your first guess will count. Kimberley and Denise will be counted as correct whether they are in 2nd or 3rd on anyone's guess.

Here's how we all did:

=1st - Val (Colin, Fern, Michael, Denise, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 6/14
    =1st - Girlygiggler (Johnny, Jerry, Richard, Denise, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 6/14
    3rd - Mystical123 (Fern, Michael, Denise, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 5/14
    =4th - LittleMissJ (Jerry, Nicky, Dani and Denise correct) = 4/14
    =4th - AuburnEnigma (Jerry, Dani, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 4/14
    =4th - Damahepa (Colin, Michael, Dani and Kimberley correct) = 4/14
    =4th - essexboyash (Johnny, Jerry, Sid and Denise correct) = 4/14
    =4th - Clivefield (Johnny, Colin, Richard and Kimberley correct) = 4/14
    =9th - IzzieStar (Jerry, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 3/14
    =9th - Alli-F (Jerry, Dani and Louis correct) = 3/14
    =9th - rosco2010 (Johnny, Jerry and Kimberley correct) = 3/14
    =9th - needsahotty87 (Sid, Fern and Victoria correct) = 3/14
    =9th - adamcm (Colin, Victoria and Denise correct) = 3/14
    =9th - Tiger Rose (Dani, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 3/14
    =9th - allisonbm2 (Jerry, Dani and Kimberley correct) = 3/14
    =9th - Dilly 1 (Johnny, Kimberley and Louis correct) = 3/14
    =17th - cantos (Victoria and Dani correct) = 2/14
    =17th - Richwood (Victoria and Denise correct) = 2/14
    =19th - Stig (Victoria correct) = 1/14
    =19th - pothuthic (Denise correct) = 1/14
    =19th - kroshka (Louis correct) = 1/14
    =19th - SWRD85 (Fern correct) = 1/14
    =19th - CloneClown (Denise correct) = 1/14
    =19th - Fudd (Denise correct) = 1/14
    =25th - 21stCenturyBoy: 0/14
    =25th - yohinnchild: 0/14
    =25th - ForreroRocher: 0/14
    =25th - SaraV1308: 0/14
    =25th - Order: 0/14
    =25th - I've Got Class: 0/14

Joint first! :) That's a good feeling, lol :D Thanks for doing that, Amy.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    How did Johnny Ball with two O Levels in total according to Wikipedia become recognised as a "Mathematician"?

Because that's... sort of... you know... what he does?
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    Thanks The Auburn Enigma for totalling this up... Interesting to read now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that's... sort of... you know... what he does?

Well I suppose it is like that unique British custom of calling washing machine mechanics "engineers" or even Katherine Jenkins an "opera singer".

I had never heard of Johnny Ball but Googling I find that Johnny Ball does what fourth formers used to call "Sums" before they moved onto Mathematics. Budding Mathematicians would have done Johnny Ball's summit in the field O Level in Maths in the fourth form before Additional maths AO level in the fifth form and then Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics at A level and then a degree and doctorate - some nine years plus study and research after they reached Johnny's O Level Maths.

Ball is another one of life's charlatans. But "In the Kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king".

Being able to do basic sums is good and important. But that isn't mathematics.

I weep for this country if Johnny Ball is regarded as one of Britain's Mathematicians. The future is indeed bleak and dumbed down.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He left formal education with two 'O' Levels, one in Mathematics and one in Geography.

Typically crass BBC dumbing down.
    Well I suppose it is like that unique British custom of calling washing machine mechanics "engineers" or even Katherine Jenkins an "opera singer".

I had never heard of Johnny Ball but Googling I find that Johnny Ball does what fourth formers used to call "Sums" before they moved onto Mathematics. Budding Mathematicians would have done Johnny Ball's summit in the field O Level in Maths in the fourth form before Additional maths AO level in the fifth form and then Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics at A level and then a degree and doctorate - some nine years plus study and research after they reached Johnny's O Level Maths.

Ball is another one of life's charlatans. But "In the Kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king".

Being able to do basic sums is good and important. But that isn't mathematics.

I weep for this country if Johnny Ball is regarded as one of Britain's Mathematicians. The future is indeed bleak and dumbed down.

To be fair to Johnny Ball I don't think he has called himself a 'Mathematician' - In his wiki entry that you linked to they call him a tv personality and a 'populariser of mathematics'. I took a quick look at his website and that's what it says on his website too. Even on his strictly profile it just refers to him as a presenter on maths and science shows. There's no reason why somebody who didn't do well at school can't develop skills and interest in academic subjects later on in life.

I wasn't ever an avid viewer of Johnny's shows when I was young but I did sometimes watch and they had more than just 'sums' - the shows included conundrums, puzzles and problem solving which could all come under maths and his tv shows were very popular and many people have said they gained an interest in maths and science because of him.

I've watced some interveiws with him and as far as I'm aware I haven't seen him go along with being called a 'mathematician' - so maybe it's just the media again doing what they usually do in bigging 'celebrities' up - I know I'm sick to the back teeth of it and I'd be the first person to criticise celebs for misrepresenting themselves or going along with the hype but as far as I'm aware Johnny hasn't.
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry guys, I hadn't written his profession in the OP, I had pasted it from another thread at some point so that's all I really know. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    To be fair to Johnny Ball I don't think he has called himself a 'Mathematician' - In his wiki entry that you linked to they call him a tv personality and a 'populariser of mathematics'. I took a quick look at his website and that's what it says on his website too. Even on his strictly profile it just refers to him as a presenter on maths and science shows. There's no reason why somebody who didn't do well at school can't develop skills and interest in academic subjects later on in life.

I wasn't ever an avid viewer of Johnny's shows when I was young but I did sometimes watch and they had more than just 'sums' - the shows included conundrums, puzzles and problem solving which could all come under maths and his tv shows were very popular and many people have said they gained an interest in maths and science because of him.

I've watced some interveiws with him and as far as I'm aware I haven't seen him go along with being called a 'mathematician' - so maybe it's just the media again doing what they usually do in bigging 'celebrities' up - I know I'm sick to the back teeth of it and I'd be the first person to criticise celebs for misrepresenting themselves or going along with the hype but as far as I'm aware Johnny hasn't.

OK red rag induced rant over. And you have seen him perform so I'll go along with what you write.

On BIB true but that just means the decade of study after O Level comes in the thirties or forties rather than earlier.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK red rag induced rant over. And you have seen him perform so I'll go along with what you write.

On BIB true but that just means the decade of study after O Level comes in the thirties or forties rather than earlier.

Well it was in the 80s when I saw his shows so a long time ago now but I do remember him showing more than just sums ;)

I think I remember reading that he studied maths recreationally - so I don't think he studied it formally after O'level but I think it's possible to still have an aptitude and skill for a subject even if you haven't studied it formally - I know they've had a winner of Mastermind who'd never been to university ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got 3 right.

im shocked

i thought i got 0

:)