ASA bans Nintendo TV ad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
ASA bans misleading ad, switching gameplay from TV to GamePad is not available in all games.

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/articles/asa-bans-wii-u-tv-advert.asp

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never mentioned SPECIFICS in that ad, but NOT saying that was the problem, but since it was the first promo for the system that would be fine

the ad is giving a GENERAL description of the product
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    never mentioned SPECIFICS in that ad, but NOT saying that was the problem, but since it was the first promo for the system that would be fine

the ad is giving a GENERAL description of the product
    Which is ASA's point.

Lack of specifics, means customer can interpret in wrong ways = wrong ways = misleading.

Even if the customer might be considered foolish for thinking X, Y or Z.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of the ASA, but I have to admit I assumed this feature was available for all games.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I guess this explains the complete lack of Wii U advertising in the UK at the moment.

The strange thing about the Wii U is that the two unique selling points directly contradict each other. Any game that supports asymmetric gameplay can't really support Off TV Play, due to the fact that asymmetric gameplay relies on the second screen showing something different to the main screen.

So, take Zombi U for example - the game increases tension by showing zombies approaching on the main screen, while you're struggling to unlock a door on the gamepad screen. Obviously, that requires both screens, and would be impossible to play without the TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Good point that and it did cross my mind. I just assumed it fell back to a reduced version of what was showing on the GamePad before the switchover. Probably not feasible given the size of the screen.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This issue aside, I feel the advert was rubbish anyway. Instead of picking up on separate main features of the console and doing several ads, they tried to cram everything into one advert...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    So how come the PS3 gets away with "It only does everything"? I've not tried using one to roast a chicken but I can't help thinking it would be a waste of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodk79 wrote: »
    So how come the PS3 gets away with "It only does everything"? I've not tried using one to roast a chicken but I can't help thinking it would be a waste of time.

Because that is a tagline and not an actual statement of what the system can do

They never made it clear that only select games are available for off TV play and for me at least this is a big deal as the HDTV is in the living room in my house so i can't play games whenever i want on it, in fact ZombieU is pretty much my least played game because of this
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    All Nintendo had to do then was put a disclaimer onscreen - "TV to Gamepad not available on all games", everyones' happy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just showed my mum who knows nothing about gaming the advert and she didn't expect every game to be playable on the WiiU

This is a classics case of two things i find wrong with the complaining/moaning culture we live in

1. if something gets so few complaints what is a stop it from being a rival company that complained, think about for the cost of one call sony or microsoft have just disrupted an ad campaign

2, you should be able to counter any complaint, if 1 person find it misleading but 10/100/1000s of people don't then there is no investigation, if 100 people find something offensive but 1000s don't then it has to be deemed not offensive
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only zombiu that can't be played on the gamepad isn't it? (That's probably why I haven't tried it yet lol) :p
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    It's only zombiu that can't be played on the gamepad isn't it? (That's probably why I haven't tried it yet lol) :p

Zombi U, certain parts of Nintendoland, and one level in the Rayman Legends demo - everything else works with Off TV Play.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Lousy.