Harrassment at work

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I work as a waitress at an Indian restaurant and am the only non-Indian member of staff. I work with 3 or 4 other people and most of them are really nice. In general I enjoy my job, it is something I am fairly good at have got used to quickly.

Unfortunately, there is one guy in particular who works there alongside me, and since he started working full-time in November he seems to have developed what can only be described as an obsessive and totally over-the-top crush on me. When the restaurant is busy we work as normal, and he talks to me like a friend, which is totally fine. However, when it quietens down he starts trying to ask me out, pretending I'm his girlfriend, even going so far as asking me to kiss him, or refusing to do work-related stuff unless I do so.

When I tell him that I'm not looking for a boyfriend he tries to convince me that I should be with him, and says that I should give him a chance. He never seems to get the message.

He insists that he is joking but the uncomfortable comments come across in a way that suggests otherwise. I can't quit my job because it is my main source of income, I just want it to stop so I can stop dreading my Friday/Saturday nights.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? What did you do about it? Any advice at all would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you spoken to the management about it?
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has you being the only non-Indian got to do with it? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the problem?

He's just after a bit of action, and you can't blame a guy for trying.

If it's bothering you that much, ask him to back off. If he doesn't, report him to your manager. But if I were in your shoes and I had a woman making those sorts of offers to me, I wouldn't turn her down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you spoken to the management about it?

I've thought about it, just wouldn't know how to bring it up :o

It doesn't, it was just part of the intro to my story...:o
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the usual line of you've just met someone. Or you could say in a loud voice that for the 100th time, no I will not go out with you.

Get some burly mate to come and pick you up from work. The next day tell the harasser that it's your new boyfriend and he's out on licence for battering the last guy that bothered his girlfriend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the usual line of you've just met someone. Or you could say in a loud voice that for the 100th time, no I will not go out with you.

Get some burly mate to come and pick you up from work. The next day tell the harasser that it's your new boyfriend and he's out on licence for battering the last guy that bothered his girlfriend.

Hahaha, love it :D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What nationality is he?.
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could get a cheap gold ring and say you're married.
  • Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you have said that you need the job but I would start looking for another one. It sounds like this guy might not take rejection well and could start getting hostile with you instead of over friendly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tell him to p*ss off. Using those words. (Obviously while others are around)
  • MCC243MCC243 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    What nationality is he?.

Think about it....
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work as a waitress at an Indian restaurant and am the only non-Indian member of staff. I work with 3 or 4 other people and most of them are really nice. In general I enjoy my job, it is something I am fairly good at have got used to quickly.

Unfortunately, there is one guy in particular who works there alongside me, and since he started working full-time in November he seems to have developed what can only be described as an obsessive and totally over-the-top crush on me. When the restaurant is busy we work as normal, and he talks to me like a friend, which is totally fine. However, when it quietens down he starts trying to ask me out, pretending I'm his girlfriend, even going so far as asking me to kiss him, or refusing to do work-related stuff unless I do so.

When I tell him that I'm not looking for a boyfriend he tries to convince me that I should be with him, and says that I should give him a chance. He never seems to get the message.

He insists that he is joking but the uncomfortable comments come across in a way that suggests otherwise. I can't quit my job because it is my main source of income, I just want it to stop so I can stop dreading my Friday/Saturday nights.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? What did you do about it? Any advice at all would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

You say that he asks for a kiss and refuses to do work related stuff unless you do. Have you been kissing him on request? If so, you are giving him mixed signals. If you do not want his advances you must tell him in no uncertain terms. Why haven't you told the staff that you get on with about his behaviour and how upsetting this is ?
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    What's the problem?

If it's bothering you that much, ask him to back off. If he doesn't, report him to your manager. But if I were in your shoes and I had a woman making those sorts of offers to me, I wouldn't turn her down.

What's the problem? It's sexual harassment, that's the problem.

I'm a bit shocked at the responses the OP has received on here. Tell him to piss off OP, and if still continues then report him to your managers.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    What's the problem?

And as usual you show exactly why everyone should never ever ask for your advice. :rolleyes:
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not mention that fact??? Anyway OP, maybe you could tell him you have a boyfriend but you don't like to talk about him.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to be absolutely firm with him. Tell him the very next time he does this that you are not interested in him other than as a work colleague and you are uncomfortable with his behaviour. Tell him that he must stop or you will have to mention it to your manager. Do not tolerate it - that may be construed as a signal to continue.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    You need to be absolutely firm with him. Tell him the very next time he does this that you are not interested in him other than as a work colleague and you are uncomfortable with his behaviour. Tell him that he must stop or you will have to mention it to your manager. Do not tolerate it - that may be construed as a signal to continue.

This is spot on advice OP. Don't put up with it, it's your right to work in a harassment free way.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as usual you show exactly why everyone should never ever ask for your advice. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that poster hasn't been perma banned yet. Seems very unjust when other FM's have been banned for less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem?

Don't allow your appallingly low standards of moral behaviour to lead you to believe that other people share them. Most normal human beings have more discernment than this.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a situation a young lady where I work got herself into, she was too friendly to someone who just didn't understand boundaries at work. Not her fault but after it started she was struggling to deal with it. I ended up having to tell the man in no uncertain terms to leave her alone. May be worth having a word with someone who can support you and make him realise it isn't on to harrass anyone at work.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could almost guarantee this comment would come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    You say that he asks for a kiss and refuses to do work related stuff unless you do. Have you been kissing him on request? If so, you are giving him mixed signals. If you do not want his advances you must tell him in no uncertain terms. Why haven't you told the staff that you get on with about his behaviour and how upsetting this is ?

No I haven't, I told him that it wasn't going to happen, he did the work anyway but had this kind of mock disappointment on his face. I think he finds it funny but I've told him again and again that he needs to stop

This sounds about right as has been mentioned, I just need to find a way to go about it
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    No I haven't, I told him that it wasn't going to happen, he did the work anyway but had this kind of mock disappointment on his face. I think he finds it funny but I've told him again and again that he needs to stop

This sounds about right as has been mentioned, I just need to find a way to go about it

No, you don't need to 'find a way to go about it'. That will just lead to you pussyfooting around the issue! Just tell him straight the very next time he does it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The way to go about it is to not tolerate it even one more time. The very next time he says something which makes you uncomfortable you say to him 'I have asked you to stop talking to me like that, now I am insisting you stop or I will have no alternative but to discuss it with the boss. Do I make myself clear'
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    What's the problem?

The statement you have made makes , you just as bad and in the wrong as the person doing this to her = both sad little men