Studio Ghibli

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this because Film4 are showing Tales From Earthsea on Thursday. No idea if it's subtitles or dubbed but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    My favourite is Spirited Away saw the Japanese version first years ago, tend to watch it in English on the dvd these days as my youngest can't read the subtitles, I prefer the Japanese though.

Howls Moving Castle is my second favourite, I actually like the English dub on that, I like Billy Crystals voice on calcifer!

The kids are mad on Ponyo of course, its really sweet :)
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I love Studio Ghibli. The first movie I saw was Totoro so that will always be special.

I need to go to the museum one day - I know a lot of people who have been and they all say how amazing it is. You have to book tickets in advance though as it's very popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour Totoro! I had it on video and must've watched it a few dozen times as a kid! Bought it on dvd a few years ago and made my younger brothers watch it. They werent too impressed, the youth of today ey!

I also got very over excited in the cinema when Totoro made an appearance in Toy story 3 :D
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I got my girls (12 and 10) into them and now they are forever sprinkling their conversations with quotes from them ("Well pardon me miss snooty cat"
    My eldest drew her version of the cat bus in an art lesson and everybody thought she was on something.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    I bought that today along with Grave of the Fireflies. All set to watch them hungover tomorrow! :D

Grave of the Fireflies with a hangover will be...interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Their recent work isn't as magical as their older stuff but their 90s to early 2000s work are utterly wonderful. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are so lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Just bumping this because Film4 are showing Tales From Earthsea on Thursday. No idea if it's subtitles or dubbed but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

That's not a good film. Miyazaki's son is kinda of terrible. Trying to keep Ghibli in the family is a bad mistake, Ghibli needs a new lease of life right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennoea wrote: »
    That's not a good film. Miyazaki's son is kinda of terrible. Trying to keep Ghibli in the family is a bad mistake, Ghibli needs a new lease of life right now.

I'll watch it anyway.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Studio Ghibli have produced some of the most groundbreaking animated films ever. My favorites are Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Arriety and Ponyo. I think the themes of their narratives that they produce are captivating and the stylised animation in which they are delivered is incredible. Does anyone know if the films can be produced in a box set at all?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think Studio Ghibli have produced some of the most groundbreaking animated films ever. My favorites are Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Arriety and Ponyo. I think the themes of their narratives that they produce are captivating and the stylised animation in which they are delivered is incredible. Does anyone know if the films can be produced in a box set at all?

I take it there isn't?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I take it there isn't?

There's not one in the UK. I doubt there would be a complete one in the USA as there Disney own the rights to all of them except Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday, which they didn't want to release as Disney films.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought that today along with Grave of the Fireflies.

One of the most affecting, gut-wrenchingly sad films I’ve ever seen. I’m actually scared to watch it again, it was that moving.

Check out this limited edition Ghibli DVD player:

http://blog.greggman.com/images/random/ghibli-dvd-sm.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AshSan wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies with a hangover will be...interesting.

It was. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennoea wrote: »

Tales from Earthsea isn't a bad film by the way, it just isn't as good as most of the other Ghibli films and suffers as a result. But it's still watchable, and if you like Ghibli it is certainly worth a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    One of the most affecting, gut-wrenchingly sad films I’ve ever seen. I’m actually scared to watch it again, it was that moving.

Check out this limited edition Ghibli DVD player:

http://blog.greggman.com/images/random/ghibli-dvd-sm.jpg

I like that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I managed to catch Spirited Away on TV back in around January 2010 whilst flicking through channels, and I was absolutely blown away by it. I've not seen it again since, and I don't think I ever will simply because of the fear that it won't make me feel how it did when I first watched it. It's truly brilliant, probably one of the best films I've ever seen. I really do need to watch some of these others to see how they compare.

I also ended up watching Tales From Earthsea via channel flicking and whilst I certainly did enjoy it I was surprised to hear that it was made by Studio Ghibli. I did some research on it afterwards and apparently the author of the book that it's based on wasn't too happy with it :eek:.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May as well quote myself for this. :p
    Since my friends had shown me a couple of Studio Ghibli films a couple of Sundays ago, SG season on Film4 was like a blessing for me this Easter. :D

Out of the films I've seen so far, my joint favourites are My Neighbour Totoro and Castle In The Sky, but I also enjoyed Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns to name just a few. Tales From Earthsea wasn't that good IMO but if more well-known animation studios can have duds, I think Studio Ghibli is entitled to at least one. :p Didn't get to see Spirited Away but fortunately I found it in HMV with Arrietty the other week, both of which I snapped up right away, although I still need to get round to watching them. :p

I'll definitely be seeing From Up On Poppy Hill when it comes out in the UK. :)

I still have yet to see all of SG's films but of the ones left, the one I'm most keen on seeing is Kiki's Delivery Service, which has an even higher Rotten Tomatoes score than Spirited Away. :eek:

Interestingly, I think Whisper Of The Heart has been the first film ever to change my outlook on life, namely to teach me that even if some things come easily in life, you do have to work hard for a long time to achieve certain things and you'll never be perfect at first. :)

Alright, that's enough corniness for now, I think. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Firefiles were passed for UK cinema release by the bbfc ratings board today, though who knows how wide a release they'll get.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/grave-fireflies-2013
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/my-neighbor-totoro-2013

Edit- there is a trailer for the release here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vF_HI9sekes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have any of you seen the Castle of Cagliostro? It's not technically by Studio Ghibli but it's by Hayao Miyazaki who I pretty much consider to be Studio Ghibli. It's a brilliant adventure film in its own right and I am a big fan of Lupin III :)
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spirited Away, Only Yesterday and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are my favourites, buy I like most of their other films as well. Tales from Earthsea was an exception and while I like it, I think Whisper of the Heart is somewhat overrated. I can't wait to see The Wind is Rising and The Tale of Princess Kaguya when they're released.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Firefiles were passed for UK cinema release by the bbfc ratings board today, though who knows how wide a release they'll get.
    That should nicely traumatize some kids out there. Think they're going to see magic flying bus cats and end up watching the true horrors of war. Always was a bizarre pairing that pretty much only the Japanese would even consider. Both brilliant films, of course, but as a double bill, I'm not convinced.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hannahjay wrote: »
    Have any of you seen the Castle of Cagliostro? It's not technically by Studio Ghibli but it's by Hayao Miyazaki who I pretty much consider to be Studio Ghibli. It's a brilliant adventure film in its own right and I am a big fan of Lupin III :)

I watched it last weekend (they showed it on Film4 during Studio Ghibli season) and I really enjoyed it. I think I quite fancied him....:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/grave-fireflies-2013
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/my-neighbor-totoro-2013

Edit- there is a trailer for the release here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vF_HI9sekes

Here's a list of cinemas showing them so far, from Studio Ghibli's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/studio-ghibli-uk/studio-ghibli-totoro-grave-of-the-fireflies-cinema-listings/587923537898009

Nothing in Northamptonshire, unfortunately for me. :( But at least I'll have both of them on DVD soon. :)
    hannahjay wrote: »

I have, despite having not seen Lupin III prior. I liked the humour in it, especially the banter between Lupin and Zenigata. :D Although what happened to the villain in the end was a bit awful, when you think about it. :p I also have Secret of Mamo (one of the films from the original creators of Lupin, Monkey Punch) and while it's not as good as TCoC, it's still decent. :)
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Spirited Away, Only Yesterday and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are my favourites, buy I like most of their other films as well. Tales from Earthsea was an exception and while I like it, I think Whisper of the Heart is somewhat overrated. I can't wait to see The Wind is Rising and The Tale of Princess Kaguya when they're released.

I haven't heard much about those two upcoming films, all I know is that Kaguya was also in Okami, one of my favourite video games, so it'll be interesting to see another interpretation of her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, here's a link to the thread about From Up On Poppy Hill:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805724

May as well try and keep everything together. ;):p