In Demand (EMAP Big City)

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    radamfi wrote:
    Damn, Wikipedia! I've just going to make an edit...
    Don't change it. It's right. It's your interpretation that's wrong.

YRN (the company) was based in Sheffield (which is what the wiki says), although programmes were broadcast from Hull.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't change it. It's right. It's your interpretation that's wrong.

YRN (the company) was based in Sheffield (which is what the wiki says), although programmes were broadcast from Hull.

OK, I'll change it to make the distinction between the broadcast location and the company base a bit more obvious.
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, night tracks, that was the overnight bit. I'd forgotten the name of that specific programme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Ive updated the YRN wiki page if anyone wants to take a look.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive updated the YRN wiki page if anyone wants to take a look.

Hey, in the Former Presenters section, you might like to add that Alice Moss went onto work with Danny Baker on the Radio 5 breakfast show. I don't know what she's doing now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, it's quite clever that they have local links and station ID's in this show and the confessions show afterwards - unless they are both pre-recorded ;) and that I doubt.
  • srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    Must admit, it's quite clever that they have local links and station ID's in this show and the confessions show afterwards - unless they are both pre-recorded ;) and that I doubt.

Upon further study, I have a little inkling that I was right all along. The confessional show is pre-recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: If it's recorded then who are the callers they get on air? Not fake ones I hope :eek:
  • srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: If it's recorded then who are the callers they get on air? Not fake ones I hope :eek:

Ahhh...shock horror! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting Ryan

One question though - on Viking (quite often) they'll come out of an ad break and have the dreaded silence for what seems an eternity, then the In Demand jingle or something will start - what's the crack there then?
    Forum Member
    Thats what happens when you leave itto computers, if there was a tech-op there at least they'd be able to fill the gap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it goes to show that the station management or any other staff member are not listening at home or wherever - or they might just sort it out because it hasn't been just the one night it happened.
    Forum Member
    Why dont they just make the idents so that they overlap with a few swooooshes or beeps or something, if the superstation could manage it in the early 90's i dont see why emap cant today!
  • MrDMrD Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The networked AM service (Classic Gold) was also relocated from Hull to Sheffield around the same time.

Ah - I wondered if we'd get onto this... the start of Classic Gold...

According to a bloke I met on a train to Wolverhampton years ago (he ran YRN at some point previosuly) - he explained that Classic Gold was a YRN thing - basically the AM service for Bradford, Hull and sheffield.

This was then used overnight on some radio stations in the Bristol/Swindon area, apparently... which led to the launch of a Classic Gold brand being launched here too.

The Bristol/Swindon Classic Gold then broke away from the Yorkshire one... and came from Bristol/Swindon... and of course ended up developing to what we now know as Classic Gold Digital...

...which in turn is currently being piped back to Bradford - for Pulse Classic Gold! BIZARRE.
  • Scotty_BScotty_B Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people actually listen to this rubbish, personally I've removed city from my car radios favourites and listen to Radio Merseyside instead.

Do Radio City leave ALL the lights on in St Johns Beacon to pretend the programme is coming from there or do they just like wasting electricity?

Oh and someone should tell City to update their DJ's page, it's only been how many weeks?
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty_B wrote: »
    Do people actually listen to this rubbish, personally I've removed city from my car radios favourites and listen to Radio Merseyside instead.

Do Radio City leave ALL the lights on in St Johns Beacon to pretend the programme is coming from there or do they just like wasting electricity?

Oh and someone should tell City to update their DJ's page, it's only been how many weeks?

Couldn't agree more Scotty - City has been more or less live/local 24/7 for the last 30 odd years. You could excuse the networking if it was any better than what was on before but it is not - if anything Evening Therapy was a much better listen.
    Forum Member
    MrD wrote: »
    According to a bloke I met on a train to Wolverhampton years ago (he ran YRN at some point previosuly) - he explained that Classic Gold was a YRN thing - basically the AM service for Bradford, Hull and sheffield. This was then used overnight on some radio stations in the Bristol/Swindon area, apparently... which led to the launch of a Classic Gold brand being launched here.
    See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Gold

Ive heard gaps on Hallam too, there no need for this, if they cant do it properly then the old fashioned way with long zaps and whooshes is best!..or just bring back YRN!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it goes to show that the station management or any other staff member are not listening at home or wherever - or they might just sort it out because it hasn't been just the one night it happened.

Well things haven't changed, we've just had another minute of silence after an ad break before Rich came back on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I am confused how this show works. It is obviously networked but in addition to what must be pre-recorded links for other shows on Radio City, they often mention Kev Seed and other Radio City DJs just before a song starts and now they are even on Radio City as I type recording Radio City's Give a Child a Chance Day?????

How is this possible?
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe they record the local links during the day, send them out to the stations to be loaded in, and then fire them off hotkeys during the show. It's likely that all the localised links are of a specific length, so there are no crashes and everything can be timed to fit.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Don't you know?

Emap, like any radio group, don't care about keeping listeners to their local stations. They only care about maximising their profits.
    If they can operate their radio business on the cheap then they keep their shareholders happy - and that's simply all there is to it.
    Of course they need help to get away with this, so the idiots at Ofcom let them get away with taking the 'LOCAL' out of LOCAL RADIO.

These stations all did very well on their own originally - to say that they need to do networking to operate effectively is merely a poor excuse for them to get away with producing radio programmes on the cheap.

Same for the other groups too. They don't give two figs about their local audiences - they just care about running a business on the cheap.
    It means we all lose out because our listening choices become limited, but Ofcom don't seem to think that matters.

How rather short sighted.

Sadly, i see that happening more every week. There are some stations who are a jewel in the crown i.e Radio Jackie in South West London 100% local....local jocks, local news 24/7, live presentation 24/7! It has massive appeal to it's TSA! The website is updated constantly as well.