Bomb Girls -- New Canadian Series

MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
Forum Member
Last night a new drama series -- Bomb Girls -- premiered in Canada, and it might be something that a few people here would like to check out (i.e., find on the internet). It is set in the early years of World War II, and is about women in Canada working in a factory making bombs to send to the UK for the war effort. Judging by the first episode, I can't say it is fantastic, and it certainly isn't particularly intelligent or subtle, but it was entertaining enough and I recommend it to people here who liked Pan Am. It's a sort of "1940's Pan Am" (on a Canadian budget), in a way: it's soapy drama about women experiencing a type of liberation relative to the constraints most women in their time lived with. If anybody watches it, please leave some comments about what you thought of it in this thread.

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Just bumping this up.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I managed to get hold of the episode and watched it Thursday, i'm a big watcher of military film, documentrys, and tv series so thought i'd give this series a try and was pleasently surprised, will be tuning in next week.
    Forum Member
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    I managed to get hold of the episode and watched it Thursday, i'm a big watcher of military film, documentrys, and tv series so thought i'd give this series a try and was pleasently surprised, will be tuning in next week.

Thanks for checking it out. I had been disappointed to not get ANY replies.:)
  • mrg9999mrg9999 Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Although I'm a bloke, I quite like this series, captures what I think was the wartime spirit in USA for reserved occupation workforce. Nice nice skin, a bit of action, drama, love, venereal disease, passes an hour on the 2 hour commute.
  • GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has Meg Tilly? I'm in!
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm on Episode 6 and enjoying it so far, great to see Meg Tily back on our screens. Been way too long!!
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this suggestion.I've earmarked it,as an avid watcher of Pan Am:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Last night a new drama series -- Bomb Girls -- premiered in Canada, and it might be something that a few people here would like to check out (i.e., find on the internet). It is set in the early years of World War II, and is about women in Canada working in a factory making bombs to send to the UK for the war effort. Judging by the first episode, I can't say it is fantastic, and it certainly isn't particularly intelligent or subtle, but it was entertaining enough and I recommend it to people here who liked Pan Am. It's a sort of "1940's Pan Am" (on a Canadian budget), in a way: it's soapy drama about women experiencing a type of liberation relative to the constraints most women in their time lived with. If anybody watches it, please leave some comments about what you thought of it in this thread.

Sorry MT. Missed this thread for some reason:o:o:o

I'm trying to source this as I type.

PS
    Watching John Adams at the moment. Fantastic stuff. Found myself cheering for the Yanks. Even though they were treacherous dogs who deserved to be hung:D:D. Have sent for the DVD because I can't wait for the story to unfold over the weeks.

Friday Night Lights starts soon as well.

PPS
    We are getting an HBO show called Luck on Sky Atlantic very soon. Have you seen it. I can't stand Horse Racing. Without giving any spoilers away what do you think of the show?

Regards

BK
    Forum Member
    Sorry MT. Missed this thread for some reason:o:o:o

It is funny how this thread is suddenly getting attention, considering that I got only ONE response in the days after I posted the thread. That wasn't a good feeling: It is like sending out invitations to a party and nobody comes.:D
    Watching John Adams at the moment. Fantastic stuff.

Glad you like it. Is that the first of the shows I recommended you've checked out?
    We are getting an HBO show called Luck on Sky Atlantic very soon. Have you seen it. I can't stand Horse Racing. Without giving any spoilers away what do you think of the show?

I watched the first episode and found it extremely dull, but that is probably because like you I really dislike horse racing. Notwithstanding my bias against the subject, I decided to check out the show because I had a similar bias against football but ended up loving Friday Night Lights. Maybe I just I just dislike horse racing a lot more than I dislike football.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is funny how this thread is suddenly getting attention, considering that I got only ONE response in the days after I posted the thread. That wasn't a good feeling: It is like sending out invitations to a party and nobody comes.:D

Glad you like it. Is that the first of the shows I recommended you've checked out?

I watched the first episode and found it extremely dull, but that is probably because like you I really dislike horse racing. Notwithstanding my bias against the subject, I decided to check out the show because I had a similar bias against football but ended up loving Friday Night Lights. Maybe I just I just dislike horse racing a lot more than I dislike football.;)

Did you think you were being ignored? It's a horrible feeling I know:D:D

John Adams the first you recommended- yes. Waiting for FNL to appear on Sky Atlantic HD. They have started advertising it and the pilot airs 18th February over here. I'm ''obtaining'' Terriers. But it's taking ages. Will start watching when they are all ready(Bomb Girls is ''done''- will watch over the weekend).

There is an internet DVD rental company called LoveFilm over here. I've put From The Earth To The Moon and Over There on my rental list(High Priority). So I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Durham County is proving hard to track down. No DVD release over here. And hard to find using ''other means''. Will keep looking though.

PS
    I'll give Luck a go. It's HBO and David Milch. But like you, for me the horse racing setting will be a huge downer. (Nothing against horses, I must stress)
    Forum Member
    Did you think you were being ignored? It's a horrible feeling I know:D:D

John Adams the first you recommended- yes. Waiting for FNL to appear on Sky Atlantic HD. They have started advertising it and the pilot airs 18th February over here. I'm ''obtaining'' Terriers. But it's taking ages. Will start watching when they are all ready(Bomb Girls is ''done''- will watch over the weekend).

There is an internet DVD rental company called LoveFilm over here. I've put From The Earth To The Moon and Over There on my rental list(High Priority). So I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Durham County is proving hard to track down. No DVD release over here. And hard to find using ''other means''. Will keep looking though.

PS
    I'll give Luck a go. It's HBO and David Milch. But like you, for me the horse racing setting will be a huge downer. (Nothing against horses, I must stress)

I recently discovered that the whole first season of The Newsroom is on YouTube. If you can stick with it right through to the season finale, "Campaign," I think you will be very happy I put you on to this show.:) Here is the link to the first part of the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNY_XLh5bAA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently discovered that the whole first season of The Newsroom is on YouTube. If you can stick with it right through to the season finale, "Campaign," I think you will be very happy I put you on to this show.:) Here is the link to the first part of the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNY_XLh5bAA

Bookmarked, many thanks.:):)

PS
    Is this where you got your Username from???
    Forum Member
    Bookmarked, many thanks.:):)

PS
    Is this where you got your Username from???

Yes, More Tears was a six-episode mini-series Ken Finkleman did after season one of The Newsroom. When I joined DS and had to come up with a user-name, I wanted my user-name to be a homage to Ken Finkleman, whom I consider a genius, and clearly calling myself "TheNewsroom" would have been a bad idea.:D Out of all of the titles of series by Ken Finkleman, only More Tears looked to me like it would make an acceptable user-name, so I chose it. How did you come across a reference to the More Tears series? Did you do research on The Newsroom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, More Tears was a six-episode mini-series Ken Finkleman did after season one of The Newsroom. When I joined DS and had to come up with a user-name, I wanted my user-name to be a homage to Ken Finkleman, whom I consider a genius, and clearly calling myself "TheNewsroom" would have been a bad idea.:D Out of all of the titles of series by Ken Finkleman, only More Tears looked to me like it would make an acceptable user-name, so I chose it. How did you come across a reference to the More Tears series? Did you do research on The Newsroom?

Yep. Am I that obvious :o:o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Newsroom

PS
    When does Rosie Larsen return to our screens? It's seems an age since the final ep aired.

PPS
    Apologies to everyone for hijacking the thread and going so OT. Going to watch the Girls now.
    Forum Member
    When does Rosie Larsen return to our screens?

She's dead.:) But season 2 of The Killing starts on April 1 on AMC.
  • sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved watching this on ITV 3 (or was it 4). I've heard it's been given a second season, I can't wait!
  • ddjddj Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bomb Girls is excellent, hope they air season 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news on whether itv4 will be showing the next season?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was axed a few months ago, but there may be a two hour wrap up film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed they are repeating the first season this week on ITV3 and season two starts on 5th October, yay!
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this because I'm watching it for the first time. I love wartime dramas and this one is quite good. (It annoys me how they keep on about being hard up with no food though - they had no idea!) The Tillys are strange-looking women, but I think Meg is the least pretty. (I wikied her - had NO idea she'd a child by Colin Firth!) Quite a good storyline - I'll be watching this till the end.