Huawei Ascend P6 White

on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Picked one of these up on Friday, quite impressed. Anyone else got one, thoughts? it does get a little warm at times..

http://www.huaweidevice.co.uk/mobile-phones/Huawei-Ascend-P6-White/

Comments

• TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve had this phone for a couple of days and so far I’m very happy with it. I’m not a heavy ‘user’ and since 4G isn’t even widely available in the UK yet the lack of high end performance/connectivity won’t really be an issue for me and I'm sure that’ll be the case for many. The phone has run super smooth on its day to day functions and some web browsing over wi-fi and 3G and it is probably the best looking phone around, it has a real quality look and feel to it much better than Samsungs high end phones imo.
    Really impressed so far, kudos to Huawei for making such a nice product at a comparatively low price.
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the phone for a full week now.. I also have an HTC one, and I think I even prefer the look and feel of the phone over the one... Im not sure why..it just feels nice. Benchmark testing it comes no-where near the HTC One. The only phone that came out better than the one was the S4.the P6 is 8th in the list, below S4 htc one, xperia Z , Nexus 4, Note 2, s3 and Nexus 10, so certainly not a power house, but does perform smoothly day to day..
  • mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I have one of these (in black) and I'm totally sold on it. I haven't liked a 'phone so much since my HTC HD Mini.

There is a software update available for it at: http://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-phones/smart-phones/support/downloads/p6-u06-en.htm#anchor

This needs copying to an SD card then running the update app in the 'mgmt.' folder on the 'phone. The instructions (in a PDF inside the update zip file) tell you that all user data will be wiped as part of the update procedure, in my case this did not happen (phew!), but I can't say for certain you will not lose some information or some of your installed apps. I've no idea what this update contains, if anyone finds out please let me know.

I've come across one problem (before I did the update). If I've had my navigation app running (Co-Pilot Live) and I then close the nav-app and switch the 'phone to standby, when I next try to start up the nav-app it won't find my location using GPS. At this point no other GPS enabled app will find my location either. As this happened on the hottest day of the year, I feared I'd cooked the 'phone in the car window! I tried re-booting the 'phone a few times, force closed Co-Pilot Live a few times, none of which worked. I got back to the hotel (we were trying to navigate from Birmingham centre in the evening rush hour when it first packed up!) and decided to switch the 'phone off completely to recharge it having visions of taking it back to the shop for a replacement. When I tried after the charge had completed, the GPS and Co-Pilot Live all worked correctly. After putting the 'phone to standby it again failed to locate me using GPS. I simply turned the 'phone off (long press on the power button then select 'Power Off'), waited for 30 seconds and powered the 'phone back on again. Again, it then worked correctly. Simple cure, once you know, but slightly inconvenient, though less inconvenient than returning a faulty 'phone.

It could be that this has been corrected in this software update, if not, I hope this helps.

With that minor niggle though, I think this is one of the best 'phones I've seen for a long time, I currently own an iPhone 5 and a Sony Xperia Z and think the P6 outshines both easily. I love the looks, the slim design and the default 'Brushed Aluminium' skin.

Huawei should be congratulated on this 'phone, it's a diamond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info on the software. Hopefully this will be available as an OTA update, as I dont have an SD card to hand.
    Forum Member
    on the air wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on the software. Hopefully this will be available as an OTA update, as I dont have an SD card to hand.

The instructions suggest that a USB stick can be used to store the update, presumably mounted as a USB On The Go device? That would assume you have a Micro USB - USB OTG adaptor too.

I should correct what I said about needing an SD card, I meant a MicroSD card.

When I tried yesterday, the update wasn't found by HiSuite, which seemed odd as the update is dated 16th July.

Perhaps worth buying a 2Gb or 4Gb MicroSD card just for the update? Small cards can be bought for less than £4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks mkstevo. Do you know if they will be making these updates available OTA ? I see you have an Iphone 5 and an Xperia Z as well, its good to know I am not the only one who has a few phones on the go. Family and friends think I am bonkers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't decide which to go for, so got the P2 and P6, very impressed as the two only cost me £60 more than an iPhone 5.
    Where as the P6 looks worth more than it is, and comes with a free case, the P2 has a better 13 FHD lens and 16GB storage, its also has NFC and 4G. But the P6 looks and feels nicer with the bonus of an SD card slot for more storage.
    Even with just and 8megapixal lens the quality of the photographs are really good, on par with most modern handsets.
    Had both now for a couple of weeks and yeah, they can get warm while running, warmer than the new HTC One and Nokia 925 did. But they are excellent value for a high spec handset.
    Depending on what you need from your phone I would recommend getting one of the Huawei ascend models as your next upgrade.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I'm suspecting those who scoffed at Huawei in the recent past may be eating their words shortly. Imo they could even be competition for Samsung in the future. They have massive resources and are seemingly very serious about their assault on the smartphone market. And once the Chinese decide to take a market seriously it usually spells lower prices and squeezed margins for the existing, established players.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I'm suspecting those who scoffed at Huawei in the recent past may be eating their words shortly. Imo they could even be competition for Samsung in the future. They have massive resources and are seemingly very serious about their assault on the smartphone market. And once the Chinese decide to take a market seriously it usually spells lower prices and squeezed margins for the existing, established players.
    I have the Huawei Ascend W1 and can heartily recommend it as an entry phone for Windows phones.

So far I like the tiles and size of the phone. Video is a little dark but I won't be using it for that mostly.
    Forum Member
    Thanks mkstevo. Do you know if they will be making these updates available OTA ? I see you have an Iphone 5 and an Xperia Z as well, its good to know I am not the only one who has a few phones on the go. Family and friends think I am bonkers.

No, sorry I don't know if it will go OTA, I was surprised to see it there in the first place. I was actually looking to see if there was any sign of the 'cloud backup' facility working. {Whenever I try the 'phone tells me to try later}

There was also talk of over 100 themes being available, but I've yet to see those either.

I have so many 'phones as I haven't found the "right" one yet. Shame the HTC HD Mini couldn't be updated. That 'phone I did like!

I am impressed with the way that the iPhone syncs nearly seamlessly with my iMac but I can't get over the lack of 'live widgets'. The Xperia Z was supposed to have 'seamless integration' with iTunes and Mac. Unfortunately the Xperia Mac software is far from seamless and the least 'Mac-like' experience I've seen in all the years I've owned a Mac. I had to buy some third party software to get a two-way sync on the calendar, the Sony is one way only. After that there was little reason to stick with the Sony, although it is a good (ish) handset. I'm not using either iPhone or Xperia at the minute. Once I get around to it, they are off to one of the 'phone recyclers.

A few years back I had one of the ultra-slim Samsung handsets, an SGH-X820, I've been a fan of slim handsets ever since which is how the Huawei caught my eye...

Oh, and my family think I'm bonkers too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why dont you sell them to someone like CEX , they give you more money than the phone recyclers.
    Forum Member
    Why dont you sell them to someone like CEX , they give you more money than the phone recyclers.

Last time I tried they insisted I had photo ID such as a driving licence (mine is the old paper type) or passport (expired), so I couldn't. They wouldn't accept my company photo ID badge, said it wasn't official, despite having the name of the education establishment I work for on it, and a very recent photograph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mkstevo wrote: »
    Last time I tried they insisted I had photo ID such as a driving licence (mine is the old paper type) or passport (expired), so I couldn't. They wouldn't accept my company photo ID badge, said it wasn't official, despite having the name of the education establishment I work for on it, and a very recent photograph.

I tend to go through a heck of a lot of phones, and so far have had most of the new releases. I tend to surf for best prices.
    CEX are great for cash in hand and normally have the best prices. If you have a current bank or credit card statement that will also count as ID.
    Mazuma is very good but you should factor in the shipping...NEVER SEND IT FREEPOST!!! so there £8 before you start, Carphoneware house are the last ones I use as they just take the phone as is, no chargers or box and the moneys back in your account in 3 days.