Do you think the BBC are doing enough for the 50th anniversary?

liam58liam58 Posts: 80
Forum Member
With all of the announcement of the convention in London this year and the documentary as well as the special, do you think the BBC are doing enough? Personally I think they are doing a great job with what they have announced but I have seen some people moaning about what the BBC are doing so I was just wondering what you thought. One thing I would like to see (especially being a young fan) is for the BBC to repeat the old classic episodes so that the younger audiences can watch them again. What do you think? :p

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well , I think that this whole subject has, in one way or another, been discussed very heavily over the past months.
  • liam58liam58 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Sorry for repeating the same topic then. Haven't really been on here for a while! :o
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I hope they do something along the lines of the BBC America showing of classic stories. I think there is a likelihood of that.

I think the feeling nearer the time will be that the BBC are giving it a very high profile indeed. The Gatiss drama, Culture Show, the convention, Stamps and all that sort of thing. And I suspect the eight episodes coming up will be riddled with nods to the past.

A few more episodes would have been nice. But I think they're doing enough. Probably. We haven't been told everything yet.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think once it all starts happening we will feel blessed with all the DW related stuff. It is going to be big news across many platforms.

Any discontent so far might have something to do with that Moffat quote about DW being a weekly event throughout 2013 which clearly isn't the case. But I do think from here on in we can begin getting very excited. The promo for Seven B has begun, then we have a run of eight brand new episodes and then it will be mad speculation and spoilers for the anniversary throughout the summer and once autumn hits the celebration will really begin and take us through to Christmas. It has seemed like a bit of a drought these past two years so cannot wait for it all to start.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will always overdo anything they can "commemorate".

It's an inside joke I have with myself. They pour it on too much, to where, even if they are celebrating something (or someone {Darwin, for instance}) I hold very dear, even I get sick of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get too much Doctor Who?

At the moment I wish there were more. I wish we'd had more in the past year, as the sci fi count on TV definitely seems to have been a bit low. Then we had a short run which, good though it was, just whet the appetite for the main course, which hasn't even started yet, still.

I have been 'making do' in these seemingly barren times with watching Warehouse 13, The Almighty Johnsons and Continuum. All great sci fi shows, but it's hard to think of a lot more that have peaked my interest, so Doctor who being 'missing' from the TV schedule does make an impact.

I mean- I've had to resort to drastic steps like taking my kids to the park etc. instead of staying in to watch it on a Saturday. It's been terrible ( I'm joking there obviously:p)

I hope you are right and that there will be more Doctor who stuff to watch that I don't know where to start. Like an all you can eat:)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    They will always overdo anything they can "commemorate".

It's an inside joke I have with myself. They pour it on too much, to where, even if they are celebrating something (or someone {Darwin, for instance}) I hold very dear, even I get sick of it.

The Melvynn Bragg Darwin radio shows were very good though. All three hours of them. I bet Melvynn isn't recording three hours of Who biography.

You'll have been pleased with the relatively low key launch to the festivities thus far.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I hope they do something along the lines of the BBC America showing of classic stories. I think there is a likelihood of that.

I think the feeling nearer the time will be that the BBC are giving it a very high profile indeed. The Gatiss drama, Culture Show, the convention, Stamps and all that sort of thing. And I suspect the eight episodes coming up will be riddled with nods to the past.

A few more episodes would have been nice. But I think they're doing enough. Probably. We haven't been told everything yet.

I have to agree. The last thing we need is overexposure as well.