The Power Of Dot Cotton

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Even though she is Branning now most people will always know her as Cotton. Anyway out of the characters EastEnders has ever had Dot is the one most people will always remember for either quoting the Bible, her friendship with Ethel, her ralationship with son Nick or her new found happiness with Jim. Dot has had so many highlights and lowlights it is hard to pick which one stand out the most. I will always remember her most for the oscar winning scenes that June put in when son Nick was addicted to herion.

What I'm trying to say is that June Brown is a legend and I hope she gets the NTA for outstanding contrubution this year as she deserves it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Same here. I don't watch Eastenders, but she is a real legend, and I found it hard to not call her Branning, but she'll always be known as Cotton. I think she's most famous for either her friendship with Ethel or the relationship with son Nick.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will bring Nick back again because it has been four years and John Altman usually makes a return every four years.
  • Peggy-BitchelPeggy-Bitchel Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Trixie* wrote:
    I wonder if they will bring Nick back again because it has been four years and John Altman usually makes a return every four years.

mmm it would be strange having him back, cos Dot and Jim have become more of a comedy couple, this would throw her back to days when she couldn't have a cup of tea with Nick lacing it with poison.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot is fantastic. When I first watched EE back in 86-88 I didn't like her that much, but when I started watching it again, in 99, she soon beacme one of my favourite characters.
    A true legend.
    I hope she can stay on EE for a very long time...

Didn't they talk about bringing in Zoe at on time? Ashleys mother?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June Brown has even said herself,and I quote...

"She may now be known as Dot Branning, but to me, she will always be known as Dot Cotton"

The character of Dot was first seen in episode 40, standing alongside Ethel outside the Vic watching baby Hassan's funeral go by.

The character of Dot works with every age group, young folk laugh with her & look upto her, and old folk can see the goodness in her heart.

June can play dot with comedy or emotion - I've cried with Dot so many times, because she is a character I've taken into my heart, to me, I've grown up with Dot since school, and with such a variety of stories over the years, thats whats always kept me hooked.

EastEnders best ever double act was Dot & Ethel - they had "double bank" episodes (where EE takes them out of Walford for most of/all of an episode) they even had their own solo episode - one of EE's greatest. June once said that she & Gretchen had a great rapour - and how right she was.

Even to this day, the character of Dot is still going very strong - it will be a sad day when Dot leaves Walford.

Here's some of Dot's finest monents :

1985 - First appearance / episode 40
    1986 - Charlie appears - then disapears
    1986 - Nick steals Dot's Chq book after she wins £250 on bingo
    1986 - Ethel breaks hip & moves in with Dot for a while
    1986 - Dot goes through menopause
    1987 - Dot swaps houses with Tom Clements & moves from 23 to 25 Albert Sq
    1987 - Nick visits as Charlie visits - and Dad meets Son for first time!
    1987 - Solo Episode with Ethel
    1987 - Darts trip to Isle of Dots - Dot gets drunk!!!
    1988 - Dot sets up Neighbourhood Watch
    1989 - Dance trip to Clacton with Ethel, Marge & Mo
    1989 - Hazel & "Dorothy Nicola" - supposdly Dot's grandchild, turn up, later to be discovered as a fraud by Charlie
    1989 - Donna dies in Dot's living room
    1989 - Dot makes sausage rolls for Pat Wick's wedding - and makes Roly ill
    1989 - Dot starts the "clean up Albert Sq" campaign
    1989 - Charlie's other wife, Joany, turns up!
    1989 - Charlie buys Dot a cooker
    1990 - Dot wins Walford Gazette bingo in March
    1990 - Nick tries to poison Dot to get the money
    1991 - Dot befriends Disa & helps her out
    1991 - Charlie dies in a lorry crash
    1991 - Nick returns....a herroin addict
    1991 - Eddie Royle lends Dot money...then gets murdered
    1992 - Dot has different lodgers thru the year - Ethel Skinner, Pat Butcher & Nigel Bates
    1992 - Mr Papadopolous turns up & makes Dot manageress of the Launderette - which she made sure everyone knew about!
    1992 - Dot works at B&B aswell as Launderette
    1992 - Dot & Ethel spend Christmas at the Fowlers with every other Walford resident!
    1993 - Dot leaves Walford after discovering Zoe & Ashley

1997 - Dot Cotton returns!
    1998 - Nick Cotton Returns - and almost has Dot killed
    1999 - Dot moves into No3 Albert Sq with Lilly Mattock
    1999 - Dot finds out her herbal tea is infact drugs
    1999 - Dot is nearly blinded by Lilly after having cleaner sprayed into her eyes
    1999 - Dot moves into No45 with Pauline Fowler
    2000 - Ethel Skinner returns & moves into No45 - making like hard for Dot
    2000 - Dot helps Ethel to die - the 15year EastEnders relationship is closed
    2000 - To punish herself & help her continue life after such a sin, Dot shoplifts & causes trouble - finally getting herself sent to prison for 14days
    2000 - Nick Cotton returns again...with Ashley
    2000 - Dot,Ashley & Nick set up home in 43a
    2000 - Charlie Cotton returns....as a ghost!
    2000 - Dot faints when an unexploded bomb explodes!
    2000 - Jim Branning kisses Dot for the first time - trying to avoid the attentions of Irene's Auntie Maureen
    2001 - Nick ends up in a wheelchair after falling off the railway bridge
    2001 - Ashley dies on Mark's motorbike
    2001 - Nick is given Ethel's will money & told to leave for good
    2001 - After so much heartache, happiness comes as Jim Branning asks Dot to marry him
    2002 - Dot Cotton becomes Dot Branning
    2002 - Dot insists on seperate beds
    2003 - Dot visits her sister Rose in Wales
    2003 - Dot holds "bingo night" to raise Church funds
    2003 - Dot makes a friend in Den's son Dennis
    2004 - Dot has cancer - which is later cured
    2004 - Dot & Den Watts have a heart to heart in the Launderette late one evening
    2005 - Dot learns to drive

So many stories,so much character - such a LEGEND!!!

Dot is probably the best character EastEnders has ever had

Theres only one Dot Cotton!

June Brown....I salute you

:):):)

Bronze Bully