What the hell happened to 'on air on release'.

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
or whatever they called it.

i know some people grumbled that some singles were failing because they didnt get enough airplay before release.

so how about a happy medium where perhaps a songs hits radio/tv for a week then gets put out.

at the moment its just f**king ridiculous.
we are hearing songs and then they are not getting released for somtimes months !!

jls premier there last ever single but its not released till november ! :confused::confused:
britneys video is out, again, with a november release date :confused:
the saturdays performed their new song last week on primetime and its not out!.

i have taken to using itunes USA now, downloaded about 15 songs yesterday which STILL have not been released here.

its madness.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a brilliant idea, but a lot of people didn't for some reason. I know the industry wants to keep the notion of "building buzz" for a single, so maybe a few important people kicked up enough of a stink and the idea was dropped ?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically it failed, the UK is definitely behind in terms of keeping up with music, hence why a single needs build up for weeks on end to get a decent position.
    America essentially solves this with instant radio play and streaming to make up for it.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh I agree OP, this is why singles don't sell as much anymore. I was shocked when I heard Britney's single isn't out til November. it doesn't make sense because by then the hype and interest has gone. Same with JLS. problem with JLS is its so close to the release of GH album that fans are just gunna buy the GH and not the single. just doesn't make sense
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is ridiculous. I would say it depends on the artist. For example, Katy Perry could release a the song straight away and it would do well. But newer or least established artists need longer. A week is too little, but months are too long, Two-three weeks would be best and I think a lot of people are willing to wait that long by pre-ordering, rather than downloading it illegally.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh I agree OP, this is why singles don't sell as much anymore. I was shocked when I heard Britney's single isn't out til November. it doesn't make sense because by then the hype and interest has gone. Same with JLS. problem with JLS is its so close to the release of GH album that fans are just gunna buy the GH and not the single. just doesn't make sense

Actually singles sales are the highest they have ever been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of singles would flop and have very low chart positions by releasing on air/online.

The UK market needs a strong build up before release, ie radio play/promo for a few weeks before the track is available to download.

The on air/online only works for 1 or 2 huge artists such as 1d who could fart and get top 3 without any promo/radio play.

If Britney had released WB on an on air/online basis here in the UK I doubt it would have even gone top 30. Her record company made a sensible move by letting airplay/video play and promo build up to gurantee a strong chart debut.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous and it seems unfair that the rest of the world has songs and the UK has to wait weeks, sometimes months for new releases. It only encourages illegal downloading and music piracy. When The Saturdays released What About Us they released it in the US in December 2013 and kept fans in the UK (their home country I might add) waiting until March to buy it :mad:
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    The majority of singles would flop and have very low chart positions by releasing on air/online.

The UK market needs a strong build up before release, ie radio play/promo for a few weeks before the track is available to download.

The on air/online only works for 1 or 2 huge artists such as 1d who could fart and get top 3 without any promo/radio play.

If Britney had released WB on an on air/online basis here in the UK I doubt it would have even gone top 30. Her record company made a sensible move by letting airplay/video play and promo build up to gurantee a strong chart debut.

This. And let's put it this way, the majority of held back singles that are by medium to big stars with airplay tend to smash, or at least sell 400k.
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous and it seems unfair that the rest of the world has songs and the UK has to wait weeks, sometimes months for new releases. It only encourages illegal downloading and music piracy. When The Saturdays released What About Us they released it in the US in December 2013 and kept fans in the UK (their home country I might add) waiting until March to buy it :mad:

But it worked did it not? Unless you're saying it didn't. Because I'm pretty sure it's one of their most successful singles.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    But it worked did it not? Unless you're saying it didn't. Because I'm pretty sure it's one of their most successful singles.

It got to No 1 for a week (can't remember who knocked them off the No 1 spot in the following weeks - was probably some crap like 1D :rolleyes:), but why release it in the US months before releasing it in their home country? They're a British act after all.
    Forum Member
    It got to No 1 for a week (can't remember who knocked them off the No 1 spot in the following weeks - was probably some crap like 1D :rolleyes:), but why release it in the US months before releasing it in their home country? They're a British act after all.

Lool yeah that's normally how No 1's work here :D

Because it worked for radio. They had some flops before and often that does wonders here. If it became a US hit, then pushed WW and finally came to the UK about 5 months later, it rides the wave; like Icona Pop (although their release and success was odd UK and US wise). Being British is irrelevant in my opinion, business is business ;)
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The Wanted tried on air, on sale with one of their songs recently, and it didn't chart as high in its first week as they normally do, and then all over the Internet (including on this forum) I was reading people celebrating about them "flopping". Now they've gone back to holding back their releases in the UK. If they held back that song it probably would've gone top 5, and there would've been less talk about them "being over", etc.

I think if people released their songs straight away, in most cases they'd get higher overall sales, even if they got a lower chart peak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what you're saying is you'd rather have them release their singles on air/online and watch them debut and peak with really crap low positions and flop??

The whole reason they got their no1 is because of the fact that it had weeks of promo and airplay build up. Really, it's not that hard to grasp!
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there were two big problems with this, the first being our radio stations take a while before they give a song heavy rotation, it usually takes about 6 - 8 weeks before a song reaches it peak on airplay charts, hence why a lot of artists wait about this length of time from premiering it to releasing it. But the other problem was that record labels picked and chose which artists and songs to do this with, had the major labels all united and decided to do it with all their artists and songs radio would of had to have put newer songs on heavier rotation otherwise people would complain they were just playing songs they'd had on their ipod for weeks. It's a shame we don't have more music tv shows as this would really help on air on sale imo as when you see someone promoting a song on tv you can pretty much guarantee it's out or it will be in about a week max. We just don't have enough shows to really help the majority of artists.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you'd rather have them release their singles on air/online and watch them debut and peak with really crap low positions and flop??

The whole reason they got their no1 is because of the fact that it had weeks of promo and airplay build up. Really, it's not that hard to grasp!
    Seeing tracks come into the chart low down, then climb to their natural peak, then drop was how the charts worked back in the 70s-80s - and it worked fine back then. We actually got some variety as can be seen on TOTP etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Seeing tracks come into the chart low down, then climb to their natural peak, then drop was how the charts worked back in the 70s-80s - and it worked fine back then. We actually got some variety as can be seen on TOTP etc...

Yes, it worked in the 70's/80's but it sure doesn't work now and hasn't from the 1990's onwards. Unless you're an artist like Katy Perry or 1D, it's a sure fire fail.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's one of those situtations where nobody will ever be satisfied. Releasing it immediately will please those who don't won't to wait, but will annoy those who would like a decent chart position. Gagas 'Applause' and Katys 'Roar' both being examples.

Personally I don't care much for chart placings. In the long run it's the sales which matter, and I don't want to wait. :(
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor MKS may as well have done 'on air on sale' with Flatline, for all the difference it would have made to their sales. As it was, they premiered the song online but didn't officially release it until about 2 months later, yet it still charted low! I think it's a lovely classy song and deserved to do well. Did people just not like the song or did everyone just illegally download it instead of having to wait so long before they could buy it? As I said waiting an eternity to release the song after it premiered certainly did them no favours at all, chartwise I just don't get it!
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Unfortunatly OAOS doesn't work for artists which aren't established. Even Britney, who has a large long running fanbase didnt make the top 10 with Til The World ends etc and The Wanted recently missed having decent size hit
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Poor MKS may as well have done 'on air on sale' with Flatline, for all the difference it would have made to their sales. As it was, they premiered the song online but didn't officially release it until about 2 months later, yet it still charted low! I think it's a lovely classy song and deserved to do well. Did people just not like the song or did everyone just illegally download it instead of having to wait so long before they could buy it? As I said waiting an eternity to release the song after it premiered certainly did them no favours at all, chartwise I just don't get it!

I like the song but I never download songs, I always wait for an album to come out and would buy the MKS album...of course I realise that enough people have to buy a single to warrant an album lol.