Ipad 3 home button issues

SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
Forum Member
✭✭
Sometimes I have to hold the button for ages before it finally responds. It still makes a positive clicking noise when pressed and when it starts to work again it continues to work fine for about an hour then conks out again. Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, no problem with mine.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? If so, why not take it in for a look. It's still well within the warranty period.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a little worried about the Home Button weating out with constant use, so I have the Multitasking Gestures switched on, in order to use the Home Button a little as possible. I really only need to press it for Siri now. (Which isn't very often)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best bet is to pop into an Apple store.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's fixed you can do online but for the sake of not voiding your warranty I wouldn't bother.

Probably a five minute job if you have an Apple Store nearby...
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, do not use the Home button until it is mended.

In settings, find the option for assistive touch. That gives you always on view at all times, a home icon to tap. Saves breaking the actual home button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    You can recalibrate the home button.

Open a stock app (iTunes, AppStore App,etc), then hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, hold down the home button until the slider disappears and the app force-quits.

Often this solves the problem, if not, it is a hardware problem and you should take it to an Apple Store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    ^^Note: You may have to disable Siri for this to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem with mine either, works like a dream
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I repeat, use the on screen icon home button you can set with the assistive touch setting.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I had this problem occasionally with my iPad2 until the last update and it's been fine ever since.

I understand dust can often be the problem, getting under the button. I was thinking of putting some screen protector material over mine.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can recalibrate the home button.

Open a stock app (iTunes, AppStore App,etc), then hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, hold down the home button until the slider disappears and the app force-quits.

Often this solves the problem, if not, it is a hardware problem and you should take it to an Apple Store.

This did the trick perfectly. Thanks so much.:D
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Instead of tapping the home button there are two faster gestures to get you through the Multi tasking.

With all 5 fingers on the screen pinch inwards and it takes you home. (Done usually with one click of the home button)

With 4 fingers or 5 swipe left or right on a open app screen to scroll to other open apps.

With 4 fingers or 5 swipe up to get to open apps, volume and brightness etc. (Done usually with a double click of home button)

:)