C4 - 16 Kids and Counting

Comments

• LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Even if father works, there's still child support, free dental care for the children, health care for them all (doctors, medicines etc), maternity care for mother 16 times - midwife/health care visitor time, hospital costs etc, school costs to educate them all. We are paying indirectly whichever way you look at it.

They seemed a nice family, but in this day and age its irresponsible imo to have that many children. If they love children so much and want a big family - adopt/foster - there's plenty of children already out there needing families.

Check out their bakery on google maps street view.

Postcode is LA3 2BJ and it is called Faradays.

No way can this support the family. They must get tax credits as well as child benefit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does it cost to raise a child on average anyway? I'm trying to get a sense of how much income they would need to bring up all those kids in the way that they do.

Didn't the Dad say something like he'd have to sell 500 pies to make up for £1000 that they spent extra on the holiday? That doesn't sound right to me.

I also found it odd that he miscalculated how much the meal he made cost per person. He first said 25% when it was 50% or something like that.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I know I might sound a bit controversial, but this needs to be said.

I am sick of people having such large families. Do they not realise the human population is massively out of control? Within a few miles radius of my house, at least a dozen fields have been concreted over with houses and flats. It's so bad around here that flats were built on a restaurant's car park! It's the same all over. Pretty soon, there will be no greenbelt left because of houses! All this building has destroyed the habitats of millions of animals and has also seen countless species go extinct.

Absolutely nothing is being done about this crisis.

South Georgia recently announced it is going to cull a herd of 3,000 deer. The reason being is that they are destroying the habitats of other species. Well, hang on, what exactly is it that humans are doing all the time? Humans have destroyed BILLIONS of acres of land.

Not to mention the fact that human activity has greatly fast tracked the destruction of the planet's atmosphere.

I am sorry, but having big families MUST be made illegal. You might not like it, but it's the stone cold truth. This woman needs to be sterilized before she churns out any more babies.

Here is a great article.

Totally agree
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sick of people having such large families. Do they not realise the human population is massively out of control? Within a few miles radius of my house, at least a dozen fields have been concreted over with houses and flats. It's so bad around here that flats were built on a restaurant's car park! It's the same all over. Pretty soon, there will be no greenbelt left because of houses! All this building has destroyed the habitats of millions of animals and has also seen countless species go extinct.

South Georgia recently announced it is going to cull a herd of 3,000 deer. The reason being is that they are destroying the habitats of other species. Well, hang on, what exactly is it that humans are doing all the time? Humans have destroyed BILLIONS of acres of land.

Not to mention the fact that human activity has greatly fast tracked the destruction of the planet's atmosphere.

I am sorry, but having big families MUST be made illegal. You might not like it, but it's the stone cold truth. This woman needs to be sterilized before she churns out any more babies.

Here is a great article.

Why aimed only at the woman? She isn't getting pregnant on her own.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is a great article.

The British population is only increasing because of high immigration though. If that was cut families like these having so many kids wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I think it's wrong on a.few different levels, one of the kids - an elder one didn't even know how many brothers and sisters he has.

As the daughter pointed out, if they all followed their parents footsteps she'd have 256 grandchildren which cannot be useful to society. You don't get schools with that many kids and one couple have it in grandkids.

You do understand the 256 kids thing wasn't real don't you?
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    & presumably some family tax credit too, unless he's raking it in?

I wasn't sure, but was the daughter who had baby daisy still living at home? Only caught the last 20 minutes?

He is clearly earning far too much to get tax credits.
    Forum Member
    There are alot of people who do have 16 kids and do sponge.

Are there? Name some.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there? Name some.

Won't happen,hasn't answered my question yet, just makes sweeping statements.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Won't happen,hasn't answered my question yet, just makes sweeping statements.

I'd have thought there are probably only a handful of people in the entire country who have 16 kids.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I'm all for big families, but sixteen kids and still planning to have more???? Wow.

I only caught the last 15-20 mins of this but tuned in expecting to see a couple of lazy chavs sitting smoking in front of the telly while Shania, Kyle, Jayden, Tia, Tiffany-Jade etc dined on crisps and coke. But they seemed like a very well adjusted cared for family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought there are probably only a handful of people in the entire country who have 16 kids.

I expect you are right, I just wanted that paritcular poster to answer why he made that comment about the woman #73, about having her bits sewn up, but nothing about the husband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking briefly online at average child cost in the UK suggests raising a kid from aroun £5 - £10k.

Using the bottom line, £80k a year for 16 kids. Seems doable if the business is decent.

Does £100 per week seem reasonable per child?
  • LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Just looking briefly online at average child cost in the UK suggests raising a kid from aroun £5 - £10k.

Using the bottom line, £80k a year for 16 kids. Seems doable if the business is decent.

Does £100 per week seem reasonable per child?

Have a look at the bakery I posted where is earlier.

IMO you would struggle to get £500 net a week from it.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Lkjh wrote: »
    Check out their bakery on google maps street view.

Postcode is LA3 2BJ and it is called Faradays.

No way can this support the family. They must get tax credits as well as child benefit.

Maybe they have a secret tunnel into Nat West Bank :eek:

Odd having the USA flag on their shop :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just checked it out thanks for the link.

It doesn't look much but if it has a good reputation I'm sure it would make a decent amount.

There is a bakery in my local town which is about the same size by the looks of it. Its run by the same family for at least 40 years and has a really good reputation within the area. I'd be surprised if they didn't earn at least 80k p/a.

It's a shame the programme didn't go into a little more detail regarding the finances as it seems many of us are curious how they manage.

They seem to do well and the outlook was for more kids. You don't have more kids if you are on the breadline.
    Forum Member

He is clearly earning far more than that.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Just watching this now :eek:
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Just watching this now :eek:

Me too. This couple are crazy. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Did they inherit a lot of money? How can they afford all this?
    Forum Member
    how many kids were in that bed!!
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next time someone sees the family in the supermarket, please chuck in a box of condoms into their shopping trolley. Just as a gentle hint.

Also the poor mother ... her lady bits must be like mince meat by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    The next time someone sees the family in the supermarket, please chuck in a box of condoms into their shopping trolley. Just as a gentle hint.

Also the poor mother ... her lady bits must be like mince meat by now.

He could double bag and have his tubes snipped, she taking the pill and cap on and I still think they'd get preggers by sheer will power alone, somehow.
  • nwbrfcnwbrfc Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Like a lot of people I found myself questioning how they could afford this lifestyle on just £160 per week child benefit and his bakery.

But actually, using the stats they gave in the programme, it is actually possible if he earns £20k+ from the bakery - which is possible on the basis he owns it and it appears to be a pizzeria as well (according to google maps).

Amazing I know, but if the level of frugality they preach is true (£9 per evening meal) and bearing in mind how cheap property is in Morecambe, then it is possible. And this was after allowing for the holiday, 4 TVs, 2 game stations, a SKY subscription, 5 bikes, 2 mobile phones etc.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    nwbrfc wrote: »
    Like a lot of people I found myself questioning how they could afford this lifestyle on just £160 per week child benefit and his bakery.

But actually, using the stats they gave in the programme, it is actually possible if he earns £20k+ from the bakery - which is possible on the basis he owns it and it appears to be a pizzeria as well (according to google maps).

Amazing I know, but if the level of frugality they preach is true (£9 per evening meal) and bearing in mind how cheap property is in Morecambe, then it is possible. And this was after allowing for the holiday, 4 TVs, 2 game stations, a SKY subscription, 5 bikes, 2 mobile phones etc.

My first thought was when he was making a cheap dinner that you could buy an awful lot of fruit and veg and good meat for the cost of that holiday . No way would I spend that kind of money to bring 16 kids away to France if I had to scrimp on their nutrition .